Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 10)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 457 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
brenolimsta_1
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Devil Wears Prada

Strong no. I agree about the rest but Streep should have won for The Devil Wears Prada (although that was a strong lineup that year because Mirren and Dench were both also excellent)!

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    DaKardii
    Topics:

END OF WEEK 12 PREDICTIONS

Best Actress

1. Frances McDormand (Nomadland)
    2. Viola Davis (Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom)
    3. Vanessa Kirby (Pieces of a Woman)
    4. Nicole Beharie (Miss Juneteenth)
    5. Sophia Loren (The Life Ahead)
    Profile picture
    brenolimsta
    Topics:

I wouldn’t call it bitterness. She’s a legend and by far one of the best. People (myself included) are just tired of her getting endless nominations for okay performances over far superior and more deserving contenders.

not her fault tho

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

I wouldn’t say ten. Four or five perhaps? for The Post, FFJ, Music Of the Heart and August Osage.

FFJ was the most exciting thing she’s done on film since her 06-09 run.

I counted 7, LOL:

The Deer Hunter
    Ironweed
    Postcards from the Edge
    One True Thing
    Music of the Heart
    The Devil Wears Prada
    Into The Woods

Should’ve been nominated in supporting instead.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Nicole Beharie (Miss Juneteenth)

Bold.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

Meryl was great in The Post. I just hated that movie. She was the only thing worthwhile about it.

Letterboxd: Brayfers

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Strong no. I agree about the rest but Streep should have won for The Devil Wears Prada (although that was a strong lineup that year because Mirren and Dench were both also excellent)!

What?! You must’ve been joking. In the year when Dame Helen Mirren slayed all the sinners with her portraying The Queen, in the year when Penélope Cruz went all out in Volver, in the year when Dame Judi Dench sent chills to everyone’s spine, how on earth could you say that? Meryl Streep and Kate Winslet were interchangeably #4 or #5

I guess we may agree to disagree.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

What?! You must’ve been joking. In the year when Dame Helen Mirren slayed all the sinners with her portraying The Queen, in the year when Penélope Cruz went all out in Volver, in the year when Dame Judi Dench sent chills to everyone’s spine, how on earth could you say that? Meryl Streep and Kate Winslet were interchangeably #4 or #5

I guess we may agree to disagree.

I’m pretty sure Penélope Cruz and Kate Winslet were the ones at the bottom. Meryl was definitely in top3 with Mirren and Dench.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Devil Wears Prada is one of the only Streep performances I like.

And also I agree with Estrelas she was top 3 (she may have even finished second). She did win the Comedy Globe after all.

What I meant by she should have won is that she should have won for it but not in lead. I consider her performance to be supporting in that film.

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

What?! You must’ve been joking. In the year when Dame Helen Mirren slayed all the sinners with her portraying The Queen, in the year when Penélope Cruz went all out in Volver, in the year when Dame Judi Dench sent chills to everyone’s spine, how on earth could you say that? Meryl Streep and Kate Winslet were interchangeably #4 or #5 I guess we may agree to disagree.

Meryl Streep was excellent in The Devil Wears Prada. Dame Helen Mirren who remains my veteran crush deserved her sweep that year, but Dame Streep was awesome even though her role was kinda supporting. Dame Meryl Streep was way ahead of Kate Winslet and Penelope Cruz and deservedly so

FYC:

Riz Ahmed- Best Actor for Sound Of Metal
    Daniel Kaluuya - Best Supporting Actor for Judas and the Black Messiah
    Amanda Seyfried - Best Supporting Actress for Mank

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Since this thread is going way too OT, I will just share my predictions, which I seem to rarely do.

Likeliness of nomination:

Viola Davis & Frances McDormand > Vanessa Kirby > Andra Day > Kate Winslet

If that were to be the lineup, my winner predictions:

Viola Davis > Vanessa Kirby > Andra Day > Frances McDormand > Kate Winslet

I obviously don’t feel confident in Day (how could I) and especially Winslet, but I just don’t buy Carey Mulligan quite yet, however phenomenal she may be; Streep seems like a GG and SAG thing to me; Loren could get in, but the buzz on The Life Ahead is quite muted atm; and I’m not considering Zendaya until we know more about that movie.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

Streep should give back at least ten Oscar nominations.

There you go, I said it.

At first I read this and I was like “Woah…savage”…but then I went and looked at the list and realized that I probably would’ve only nominated her for 9-10 out of the 21 nominations she actually got. She can keep her first two wins but I’d give her a third for A CRY IN THE DARK. She wouldn’t have even been nominated for IRON LADY on my ballot.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

I think people underestimate how much The Devil Wears Prada revitalized Streep’s career. People were seemingly unimpressed with her ability to transform throughout the 2000s until this role in which her character had unparalleled command, fierceness, snootiness, and a veil hiding deep sorrow. Since Prada, we’ve seen her in many more roles that dominate the other characters in the worlds of her films. It really marked a new chapter of her career.

Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

I hope you know that Euphoria was not popular because of her.

because of who then ???? She’s literally the face of the show lol

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

The Devil Wears Prada is one of the only Streep performances I like. And also I agree with Estrelas she was top 3 (she may have even finished second). She did win the Comedy Globe after all. What I meant by she should have won is that she should have won for it but not in lead. I consider her performance to be supporting in that film.

Even with Kramer vs. KramerSophie’s Choice, A Cry in the Dark, The Bridges of Madison County, Doubt, and The Iron Lady? Shoutout to one of my personal faves, Death Becomes Her. Incredible precision with the comedy.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 457 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.