Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 11)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 459 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
CateNicole
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Keep up the subject in Part 11.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Mulligan must come through for that nomination.
    For the sake of my mental health.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I am not as confident as others in Mulligan. Every year there is an acclaimed lead performance from a fringe contender that can’t make it in. Toni Collette, Ethan Hawke, etc. To me, she seems like this years’ example.

I think something Carey Mulligan has in common with Collette and Hawke is that she’s a “underrated” talent and not someone who is a huge personality, if that makes sense. Whereas “legends”/Oscar favorites Denzel Washington and Willem Dafoe were able to sneak into Lead Actor in extremely underseen films, Collette and Hawke weren’t able to do so in films (and with performances) that were showered with critical love.

Denzel Washington is so famous and so charismatic that a nomination like that is possible for him. Not saying there is ill will towards Carey Mulligan, but she normally flies under the radar in Hollywood and is not remarkably memorable in interviews. Even if it isn’t a major factor, I think there is something to be said about who voters are/are not compelled to vote for because of their careers/media image.

Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

I think Mulligan will make it in. Her film is likely to be nominated in a few other categories including Best Picture.  I don’t think she’ll be a sole nominee.

At this point, I think PYW might perform similarly to Get Out, another social commentary “genre film.” Picture/Actress/Screenplay(possible winner)/Director.

My profile on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/Icecreamb

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Any news on The United States vs Billie Holiday? That’s my most anticipated story this year

FYC:

Riz Ahmed- Best Actor for Sound Of Metal
    Daniel Kaluuya - Best Supporting Actor for Judas and the Black Messiah
    Amanda Seyfried - Best Supporting Actress for Mank

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

1. Viola Davis
    2. Vanessa Kirby
    3. Frances McDormand
    4. Andra Day *
    5. Carey Mulligan

6. Kate Winslet
    7. Sophia Loren
    8. Zendaya *
    9. Meryl Streep (LTAT)
    10. Meryl Streep (Prom)

* – Pending reactions and/or delays

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Also, Viola come and win this already because we are tired of these Kirby x Davis debates and it’s not even 2021 yet.

Profile picture
    VINCE
    Topics:

The lady’s improving is available now on Youtube! Damn, I never knew she could belt.

MARIAH CAREY

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I think Mulligan will make it in. Her film is likely to be nominated in a few other categories including Best Picture. I don’t think she’ll be a sole nominee.

At this point, I think PYW might perform similarly to Get Out, another social commentary “genre film.” Picture/Actress/Screenplay(possible winner)/Director.

lol come on now. Get Out was in the cultural zeitgeist for a year. PYW has disappeared since sundance.

Profile picture
    Faux architect
    Topics:

The real contender y’all refuse to see

… for that indie spirit nom.

Pantheon of acting: Uta / Elizabeth / Richard / Sandy (Virginia Woolf), Bibi / Liv (Persona), Sandrine (La Ceremonie), Brie (Short Term 12), Jodie (Silence of the Lambs), Jodie (Killing Eve), Nicole (The Others), Eva (Penny Dreadful), Timothée (CMBYN), Lupita (Us)

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

Ah love Aubrey!! Excited to see that.

I just watched The Assistant, and Garner is really good! Macfayden is brilliant. A great film that really surprised me. It made me think of Weinstein and Miramax as a whole in a much less vague way.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

1. Kirby
    2. Davis
    3. Mulligan
    4. McDormand
    5. Zendaya

6. Streep (Let Them All Talk)
    7. Streep (The Prom)
    8. Winslet
    9. Loren
    10. Taylor-Joy

If Billie Holliday arrives I’ll slot Day over Zendaya.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Ah love Aubrey!! Excited to see that. I just watched The Assistant, and Garner is really good! Macfayden is brilliant. A great film that really surprised me. It made me think of Weinstein and Miramax as a whole in a much less vague way.

All of this! In a just world both were making their lineups this year. Macfadyen was spine-chilling despite his screen time and Garner made me so claustrophobic.

I say that it’s a shame they won’t go very far (outside of the Spirits and maybe the Globes because I think the timeliness of her film can cause a potential shock Garner nomination). Had it been Saoirse Ronan we probably wouldn’t be talking about who is winning Actress this year…

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    DestinyFulfilled
    Topics:

That’s currently my top ten:

1. Davis

2. Kirby

3. McDormand

4. Mulligan

5. Andra Day

6. Meryl (LTAT)

7. Kate Winslet

8. Meryl (Prom)

9. Sophia Loren

10. Zendaya (likely to move up, not sure if she can overtake Mulligan or Andra Day though, if Day delivers, a lot depends on the overall film and on whether its subject matter feels important)

Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

Cryptic tweet about Zendaya 👀

https://twitter.com/scottfeinberg/status/1334621602797916165?s=21

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 459 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.