Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 501 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
( +64 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Bassett
The Person Fo..
  • Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

I think Chad winning isn’t as much of a problem for Viola than it would be if Jennifer Hudson and/or Audra Day get nominated alongside her. Multiple musical dramas of iconic black singers? That’s an unheard of scenario and it might be hard to single one of the ladies out, leaving a dark horse contender to surprise. I’m not sold on a McDormand 3-peat just yet either.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m not predicting all of these until the damn trailer drops, but I’m certainly hoping

To be honest I kind of am predicting those nominations not because of quality but some of them as a placeholder because my hopes in other contenders are fading as they seem to be underwhelming in critical reception and also as a result of having read the script for the play.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I just can’t imagine a world where Jennifer Hudson has more Oscars than Viola Davis. It makes no sense to me. Hudson May get the nomination but Viola will take the win (alt: Amy Adams)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I just can’t imagine a world where Jennifer Hudson has more Oscars than Viola Davis. It makes no sense to me. Hudson May get the nomination but Viola will take the win (alt: Amy Adams)

Well we do live in a world where Renee Zellweger has more Oscars than Viola Davis.

Not saying Hudson will win over Davis but this argument was used just last year by people to justify predicting Johansson and Theron over Zellweger.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    An Old Friend
    Topics:

Not here for the Renée bashing.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Well we do live in a world where Renee Zellweger has more Oscars than Viola Davis. Not saying Hudson will win over Davis but this argument was used just last year by people to justify predicting Johansson and Theron over Zellweger.

Surely you’re not comparing Renee Zellweger to Jennifer Hudson?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Not here for the Renée bashing.

I’m not bashing Renee Zellweger lol. I do believe she deserved her Oscar for Judy and I would have given her an Oscar for Chicago.

However what I am saying is that I don’t like this idea that “such and such is unlikely to win because it doesn’t make sense for them to have more Oscars than a certain more prestigious actor”. We’ve seen time and time again how the Oscars care more about who has campaigned the most or who has the most money rather than prestige or performance. If they want to give Hudson a second Oscar they will give her a second Oscar. I mean Emily Watson has more pedigree and prestige than Gwyneth Paltrow yet she still lost an Oscar to her.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I’m not bashing Renee Zellweger lol. I do believe she deserved her Oscar for Judy and I would have given her an Oscar for Chicago. However what I am saying is this idea that “such and such is unlikely to win because it doesn’t make sense for them to have more Oscars than a certain more prestigious actor” is ridiculous imo. We’ve seen time and time again how the Oscars care more about who has campaigned the most or who has the most money rather than prestige or performance. If they want to give Hudson a second Oscar they will give her a second Oscar. I mean Emily Watson has more pedigree and prestige than Gwyneth Paltrow yet she still lost an Oscar to her.

Youre taking what I said far too seriously. It was a flippant comment that gave my opinion only and was not intended to have any bearing on what people are likely to vote for.

And I said I couldn’t imagine it, not that it won’t happen.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Surely you’re not comparing Renee Zellweger to Jennifer Hudson?

I’m not comparing their acting ability (Renee is a much better actor lol) but I am just saying that I don’t think the Academy cares about awarding someone their second (unless it’s within one to four years which is why I am concerned about Viola and Frances) especially if their first was in supporting.

These kind of statements that “it’s hard to imagine this person having more Oscars” pretty much happen every year. I’m not predicting Hudson even for a nomination but it’s not because “it’s hard to imagine her getting a nomination or having more Oscars than Viola Davis and Amy Adams”.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It was a flippant comment that gave my opinion only

And I was just disagreeing with your opinion. That’s ok. I mean aren’t we supposed to  be on a forum where people can openly disagree with each other?

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

And I was just disagreeing with your opinion. That’s ok. I mean aren’t we supposed to be on a forum where people can openly disagree with each other?

Of course. But you’re the one talking about how it’s ‘ridiculous’ that people make similar statements every year – that’s because every year someone gives their opinion. You can disagree without making blanket statements about the apparent ridiculousness of a certain opinion.

You consistently, and rightly, call out people who call you stupid or ridiculous or delusional. Don’t do it to other people.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Of course. But you’re the one talking about how it’s ‘ridiculous’ that people make similar statements every year – that’s because every year someone gives their opinion. You can disagree without making blanket statements about the apparent ridiculousness of a certain opinion. You consistently, and rightly, call out people who call you stupid or ridiculous or delusional. Don’t do it to other people.

Ok ridiculous was the wrong word to use. I think I overreacted and used it without thinking so I apologise for that.

I have edited my comment.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Maybe I’ve misread but I’ve sensed a discontent that Viola Davis only has an Oscar in Supporting and that A, B or C have a Best Actress Oscar and she doesn’t and it’s such an injustice…but wasn’t Davis the one who chose to campaign supporting (and commit category fraud) to guarantee her win? I very much doubt she cares that she hasn’t won in Lead yet considering that behaviour lol

FYC:

Antonio Banderas and Asier Etxeandia, Dolor y Gloria (Best Actor/Supporting Actor)
    Emily Beecham, Little Joe (Best Actress)
    Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren, The Good Liar (Best Actor/Actress)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Obviously she can easily win the Globe but it will be very significant if Viola Davis does considering the Golden Globes didn’t even give her a Lead win either for any of her films or for her Emmy winning Lead television performance.

Whomever wins the Globe I still think the BAFTA is between Kirby, Mulligan and Winslet though.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Yea Kirby is only a safe bet at the Baftas. If Hillbilly Elegy is liked amongst most (voters) Amy is getting into lead. Frances and Viola are locks for a nom at least. I’m thinking Hudson is actually going to start picking up major traction within the next coming months which will lead to a nom. That leaves one last spot and I see either Loren, Mulligan, Day, Winslet, or Kirby. I’m putting my money on the first three I mentioned because I’m starting to lose hope in Kirby and Winslet. I think it will probably be Loren who ends up being the one to round out that lineup.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.