Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 501 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
( +64 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Bassett
The Person Fo..
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yea Kirby is only a safe bet at the Baftas. If Hillbilly Elegy is liked amongst most (voters) Amy is getting into lead. Frances and Viola are locks for a nom at least. I’m thinking Hudson is actually going to start picking up major traction within the next coming months which will lead to a nom. That leaves one last spot and I see either Loren, Mulligan, Day, Winslet, or Kirby. I’m putting my money on the first three I mentioned because I’m starting to lose hope in Kirby and Winslet. I think it will probably be Loren who ends up being the one to round out that lineup.

Loren doesn’t seem to have any buzz for me to predict her in Actress at the Oscars but we’ll see.

I forgot about Hillbilly Elegy. Amy is getting into Lead at the BAFTAs (she’s one of the most celebrated American actresses ever by the institution) unless her performance is too divisive and the jury decide not to vote for her. In fact if her performance is as showy as we think it will be and if she’s winning the Globe and Mulligan loses the Comedy Globe then I’d say Amy is easily winning the BAFTA.

I’ve already said why I think Frances is in danger of getting snubbed at BAFTA. Juries are ruthless and she’s never won with a jury and in fact has sometimes missed nominations with juries at BAFTA.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Loren doesn’t seem to have any buzz for me to predict her in Actress at the Oscars but we’ll see. I forgot about Hillbilly Elegy. Amy is getting into Lead at the BAFTAs (she’s one of the most celebrated American actresses ever by the institution) unless her performance is too divisive and the jury decide not to vote for her. In fact if her performance is as showy as we think it will be and if she’s winning the Globe and Mulligan loses the Comedy Globe then I’d say Amy is easily winning the BAFTA. I’ve already said why I think Frances is in danger of getting snubbed at BAFTA. Juries are ruthless and she’s never won with a jury and in fact has sometimes missed nominations with juries at BAFTA.

I was talking about the Oscars, not the Baftas. Also, I seriously doubt that they will snub McDormand this year. Her performance is hard to ignore and it is in one top films this year. If they’re doing the 6 nominees this year, McDormand is safe.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Loren (in my opinion) will be nominated at SAG (they love veterans and I doubt they’ll pass on a legend) and CC. I also think she’ll win some critics and get nominated for several but will ultimately get snubbed at the Oscars.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Loren (in my opinion) will be nominated at SAG (they love veterans and I doubt they’ll pass on a legend) and CC. I also think she’ll win some critics and get nominated for several but will ultimately get snubbed at the Oscars.

I can see that happening. I can honestly see her missing everywhere, but somehow still gets nominated at the Oscars just based off who she is and if she gives a great performance.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I was talking about the Oscars, not the Baftas. Also, I seriously doubt that they will snub McDormand this year. Her performance is hard to ignore and it is in one top films this year. If they’re doing the 6 nominees this year, McDormand is safe.

I know you were talking about the Oscars hence why my first sentence was about Loren’s chances at the Oscars in response to your post about Loren at the Oscars.

Frances McDormand can easily get snubbed at BAFTA. In any other year she would have been safe but now BAFTA has a jury system and juries are ruthless. BAFTA already have gone out of their way to snub frontrunners and contenders that have ended up getting nominated or winning at the Oscars when they went by popular vote. When they have had juries they’ve been more prone to just that.

IMO if Frances loses the Globe then only Davis, Kirby and Winslet (who could very well not even be close at the Oscars) are locked at the BAFTAs. Then you have contenders like Jessie Buckley (who could end up being the new Margot Robbie of the BAFTAs and just get nominated for everything they are in that they have buzz for), Sally Hawkins in an acclaimed performance in a British indie film and Carey Mulligan who could very well win the Comedy Globe. Not to forget Loren also if she ends up getting any buzz.

To me it is a combination of a jury field and McDormand’s past history with BAFTA juries that makes me feel that she isn’t safe for a nomination if she loses the Globe.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I can see that happening. I can honestly see her missing everywhere, but somehow still gets nominated at the Oscars just based off who she is and if she gives a great performance.

Catherine Deneuve teas. I think she’s the first actress/actor to ever receive an Oscar nomination for a foreign language performance without any critical or precursor support.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Question for the culture – is there any actual reason why we’re expecting Hudson to gain traction and have the buzz and the performance for a nomination in this movie all of a sudden? Is there any indication of the movie becoming a major contender/her performance being undeniable, and has some new info come out, because the latest trailer I can see on YouTube is from 3 months ago. Literally 2 weeks ago I couldn’t see anyone predicting her, the only conversation around Respect was how much of a flop it’s likely to be at the Box Office and how it won’t be very good. I myself seem to have bought into the Hudson hype because I have her in 5th place now but I can’t really pinpoint why.

rubbish

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I assume it’s because of her campaigning.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Catherine Deneuve teas. I think she’s the first actress/actor to ever receive an Oscar nomination for a foreign language performance without any critical or precursor support.

I think she gets Sag and CC. I’m just saying I won’t be too surprised if she missed everywhere and somehow still got in at the Oscars.

is there any actual reason why we’re expecting Hudson to gain traction and have the buzz and the performance for a nomination in this movie all of a sudden?

Not really, I just have a feeling she will pick up steam in the coming months. I mean I think most people started to put her in their predictions bc she was featured on the Entertainment Weekly Cover just like a few days ago for the film and the upcoming race.

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Oscars
    1. Amy Adams
    2. Viola Davis
    3. Frances McDormand
    4. Kate Winslet
    5. Vanessa Kirby

BAFTA:
    1. Vanessa Kirby
    2. Amy Adams
    3. Kate Winslet
    4. Viola Davis
    5. Carey Mulligan
    6. Frances McDormand

SAG:
    1. Viola Davis
    2. Amy Adams
    3. Frances McDormand
    4. Sophia Loren
    5. Kate Winslet

GG:
    1. Amy Adams
    2. Frances McDormand
    3. Viola Davis
    4. Kate Winslet
    5. Vanessa Kirby

GG:
    1. Michelle Pfeiffer
    2. Jennifer Hudson
    3. Meryl Streep
    4. Margot Robbie
    5. Millie Bobby Brown

CC
    1. Vanessa Kirby
    2. Amy Adams
    3. Frances McDormand
    4. Viola Davis
    5. Sophia Loren
    6. Michelle Pfeiffer

FYC OSCARS

AMY ADAMS- Best Actress
    The Boys in the Band- Jim Parsons/Screenplay

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I would normally have no issue predicting Sophia Loren for the typical foreign-language acting slot, but the problem this time is that she appears to be Netflix’s fourth priority for Best Actress, which doesn’t give me much faith. There’s also the fact that her film is based on the same source novel as a past Foreign Film Oscar-winner, and critics might not have her back like they did with Huppert, Cotillard and Riva. But I’d love to be proven wrong.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Lol, the awards are not spreading so neatly. Whoever wins the drama Globe is sweeping.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Gabriel Seehorn (gabspss)
    Topics:

Oscars
    1. Amy Adams
    2. Viola Davis
    3. Frances McDormand
    4. Kate Winslet
    5. Vanessa Kirby

BAFTA:
    1. Vanessa Kirby
    2. Amy Adams
    3. Kate Winslet
    4. Viola Davis
    5. Carey Mulligan
    6. Frances McDormand

SAG:
    1. Viola Davis
    2. Amy Adams
    3. Frances McDormand
    4. Sophia Loren
    5. Kate Winslet

GG:
    1. Amy Adams
    2. Frances McDormand
    3. Viola Davis
    4. Kate Winslet
    5. Vanessa Kirby

GG:
    1. Michelle Pfeiffer
    2. Jennifer Hudson
    3. Meryl Streep
    4. Margot Robbie
    5. Millie Bobby Brown

CC
    1. Vanessa Kirby
    2. Amy Adams
    3. Frances McDormand
    4. Viola Davis
    5. Sophia Loren
    6. Michelle Pfeiffer

Aside from CC, the only place you are predicting Loren is… SAG?

From this bunch of award groups, they are easily the ones with more problems with foreign language films and performances. If there’s a place where Loren will have a problem getting in is SAG.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Lol, the awards are not spreading so neatly. Whoever wins the drama Globe is sweeping.

Exactly, lmfao

People stay predicting random SAG/BAFTA upsets like it’s the 90’s/early 00’s

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo
    Best Supp Actress - Glenn Close
    Best Supp Actor - Chadwick Boseman

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

BAFTA (unless the person is British or Christoph Waltz) have rarely given second wins so quickly after the first wins for male actors never mind female actors so neither Davis or McDormand are locked for the win there if they win the Globe. Especially this year. Maybe hold off on the patronising and demeaning “lols”?

GG: 1. Michelle Pfeiffer 2. Jennifer Hudson 3. Meryl Streep 4. Margot Robbie 5. Millie Bobby Brown

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.