Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 501 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Bassett
The Person Fo..
  • Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

I feel like we’re all underestimating a contender: Rachel Brosnahan in I’m Your Woman. I’m not saying she’s a lock to be nominated, but she has an extraordinarily baitty role. If Amazon campaigns her and she’s amazing, she could get this as a “welcome to the club” nomination but I doubt she’d beat Vanessa Kirby or Viola Davis

Idk. Could see her getting random Globe nomination, because they seem to like her (giving her a reapeat win for Maisel, which they don’t do that often), but nothing really more.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The question with the Globes is who is getting into the Drama Film Actress race? The Limited Series/Movie race is the most interesting race this year at the Globes period but Film Actress is the next most interesting.

Locks :

1. Frances McDormand
    2. Viola Davis

Next in Line :

3. Vanessa Kirby
    4. Kate Winslet

Hmm :

5. Jennifer Hudson
    6. Amy Adams
    7. Sophia Loren
    8. Rachel Brosnahan
    9. Andra Day
    10. Jessie Buckley
    11. Elisabeth Moss
    12. Olivia Cooke

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Caelin Cripps
    Topics:

My guess for the Globes in Drama Actress right now:

Adams, Davis, Kirby, McDormand, Winslet

Something tells me Hudson will end up going in Musical / Comedy since it’s such a weak field again and she might have a better shot.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Something tells me Hudson will end up going in Musical / Comedy since it’s such a weak field again and she might have a better shot.

She won’t.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Musicians biopics are no longer allowed to compete in Musical or Comedy. Unless the narrative is driven by musical numbers, like Rocketman. Judging by the trailer, Respect is nothing like that. Its going Drama.

Profile picture
    John Nguyen
    Topics:

This is honestly the most exciting actress race in the last 3 years

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The irony that even though there is a pandemic and cinemas are in danger that the Best Actress race is more competitive and more of a bloodbath than last year’s was.

I mean no offence to Zellweger she was a deserving winner last year but this year is what every Best Actress race should be like.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Respect will not be allowed to compete in Musical/Comedy because it is neither a musical nor a comedy. It is a drama about a character that sings.

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

This is honestly the most exciting actress race in the last 3 years

I love that even though this year is going to be so much narrower and blander in other categories (technicals, Picture) this year, the Actress category finally has competition and excitement rather than sweeping.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    nkb325
    Topics:

I really don’t see Vanessa Kirby as a viable option here. Best Actress never really goes to someone from a tiny indie movie UNLESS they’re a veteran (Julianne Moore, Renee Zellwegger), or the movie is a BP player (Brie Larson), which I really don’t see happening for Pieces of a Woman.

The only times that has happened in the last FIFTY YEARS are Halle Berry for Monster’s Ball, and Charlize Theron for Monster, both of whom had significant advantages in their narrative that Kirby does not.

She could definitely still be a nominee, and this year anything could happen I guess, but she’d be a very unique winner

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I really don’t see Vanessa Kirby as a viable option here. Best Actress never really goes to someone from a tiny indie movie UNLESS they’re a veteran (Julianne Moore, Renee Zellwegger), or the movie is a BP player (Brie Larson), which I really don’t see happening for Pieces of a Woman. The only times that has happened in the last FIFTY YEARS are Halle Berry for Monster’s Ball, and Charlize Theron for Monster, both of whom had significant advantages in their narrative that Kirby does not. She could definitely still be a nominee, and this year anything could happen I guess, but she’d be a very unique winner

I’ve learnt with this year that all cards are off the table and that really is the real reason why I’m considering Kirby. Only two Actress contenders so far are in films with either raves or great reviews and they’re Mulligan and McDormand. Mulligan seems to be the frontrunner to win the Globe but her film could be too inaccessible for voters. McDormand gives her career best performance but she won 2 years ago and het performance is said to be “quiet”.

Then you have someone like Winslet who most reviews say gives a great performance (the more positive ones say it’s one of her best) but her film is divisive af. Not to mention her film is a Lesbian Romance being delivered to an Academy that rejected the more acclaimed Carol in Picture. Then you have Pfeiffer who some pundits say is a lock and some say is getting nominated because of how open the field is and her film is also incredibly divisive and the really negative reviews (The Guardian) say she’s only the MVP by default. And her film is about the spirit of her dead husband being resurrected in the form of a cat.

Then Day, Davis and Hudson are all playing famous singers a year after Renee Zellweger won for playing Judy Garland and Taron Egerton got rejected for playing Elton John after Rami Malek won for playing Freddie Mercury. Then you have the fact that both Adams and Davis’s roles are supporting in their source materials and are over-shadowed by the more baity roles of their co-stars.

Then there’s Sophia Loren who may deliver the best performance of her life but her film has no buzz for anything outside of her performance.

Point being anything can really happen this year and it’s time that we all (whether we’re thinking Davis, Kirby, McDormand, Mulligan, Winslet or Pfeiffer etc are winning) understand that this pandemic has thrown everything off proportion. At the Emmys this year shows that under-performed or got shut out at SAG either swept the acting categories or did better than shows that won or swept SAG. We’re expecting the most random Tony nominations ever later this week. I’m expecting the same unexpectedness to happen nominations wise and potentially wins wise at the Oscars this year.

This is why I’m predicting Kirby. Yes she has things going against her but she also has the most buzz going for her and her performance seems to have a ridiculous amount of acclaim (as does the writing and acting in the first 20 minutes of her film). It’s also why I’m considering the possibility of films like The Father breaking into Director and potentially even winning Best Picture or something like Everybody Loves Jamie or The Prom sneaking into the Picture lineup or Promising Young Woman and Judas and the Black Messiah doing well despite not being traditional Academy friendly films.

Right now I don’t think it’s fair to say this won’t happen or this is delusional when we’re only in October and are in strange circumstances (you yourself haven’t done this but several people on here have done so). Frankly anyone can win Best Actress at this point (yes even Rachel Brosnahan) and One Night in Miami or The Father could win Best Picture (as could the three frontrunners in the predictions centre but I don’t need to say that).

Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

I know it is technically labeled a black comedy, but given how the film is being marketed and the dark subject matter, is there a chance “Promising Young Woman” is placed in Drama, not Comedy?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I know it is technically labeled a black comedy, but given how the film is being marketed and the dark subject matter, is there a chance “Promising Young Woman” is placed in Drama, not Comedy?

Well if it does then Mulligan’s going to have a more difficult path to get a Globe nom never mind a win and god help us all if that would result in The Prom sweeping.

I doubt it. It reminds me of the situations of Lady Bird, Jojo Rabbit and I, Tonya as all three were black comedies or dramedies with dark elements and serious messages that had bits of comedy and serious drama in their trailers. Both trailers for Promising Young Woman contain comedic elements (e.g. (I’m saying this in less explicit detail because the themes of the film are obviously quite triggering and it touches on sensitive topics) when Mulligan’s character asks this person who tries to take advantage over her if he knew what her name was and then she says “sorry maybe that one’s too hard”) and Focus Features themselves have classified it as a black comedy with important and topical messaging and sensitive and triggering themes.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Idk. Could see her getting random Globe nomination, because they seem to like her (giving her a reapeat win for Maisel, which they don’t do that often), but nothing really more.

I understand and that’s totally possible, but Hollywood likes her and won’t mind giving her more nominations. Plus I have this feeling that she’s gonna win sometime this decade

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I agree we could be underestimating Brosnahan. Her star is rising and she could be Amazon’s main acting priority considering how she’s already the face of Amazon’s producing output because of Maisel. I doubt she’s winning over Kirby, McDormand or Davis but she could easily get the fourth or fifth slots if her film gets good reviews. Pete Hammond said it’s a transformational performance.

Transformational? Oh my lord, we are seriously underestimating her

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.