Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 23)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 23)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 523 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
7 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Ashton_Reeves
SN
  • Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

And just like that, Zendaya finally overtakes Andra Day’s 5th slot in the combined odds.

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

Yeah, I haven’t seen Riva or Watts yet but Lawrence was good in SLP. Not my favorite win or close to it, but there are definitely people who behave the way her character did in the film. It’s not overacting.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

oh my god, this overdone and overrated performance. I still can’t believe this piece of overacting won an Oscar over Emmanuelle Riva and Naomi Watts.

Jlaw is a terrible overrated actress.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If that BAFTA Q&A is anything to go by then Davis will have no issue winning there if she takes the Globe.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

If that BAFTA Q&A is anything to go by then Davis will have no issue winning there if she takes the Globe.

Wym?

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

JLaw was terrible on SLP, if it was Amy she would not be terrible

Amy Adams already got 4 undeserving nominations. In fact, five of her nominations were coattails. Lawrence was way better than Adams in American Hustle. Like Ash said, if the Tiffany character was played by Adams, y’all wouldn’t have been crucifying her. Yes… Lawrence did not deserve her win, but she wasn’t terrible

FYC:

Riz Ahmed- Best Actor for Sound Of Metal
    Daniel Kaluuya - Best Supporting Actor for Judas and the Black Messiah
    Amanda Seyfried - Best Supporting Actress for Mank

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

And just like that, Zendaya finally overtakes Andra Day’s 5th slot in the combined odds.

Only took two days LOL!

I’m glad I snapped up 52/1 odds on her before she shot up in the prediction center.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I suffer from bipolar disorder myself and i really really think she overdid it sometimes
    But i don’t know, maybe it was what the script asked for.

I really felt much closer to Bradley’s character.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Wym?

With the type of charm she has (you felt as if you were in the room during that Q&A which when it comes to campaigning during this pandemic I’d say REALLY helps), the overall positive response Ma Rainey has had here and the clever campaigning from Netflix I don’t see how (if she wins the Globe) she loses the BAFTA. It’s not as if BAFTA have had any apathy towards her career.

Although I am not predicting her to win the Globe. But if she does then make no doubt she’s winning BAFTA too.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Davis knows how to campaign.

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

With the type of charm she has (you felt as if you were in the room during that Q&A which when it comes to campaigning during this pandemic I’d say REALLY helps), the overall positive response Ma Rainey has had here and the clever campaigning from Netflix I don’t see how (if she wins the Globe) she loses the BAFTA. It’s not as if BAFTA have had any apathy towards her career. Although I am not predicting her to win the Globe. But if she does then make no doubt she’s winning BAFTA too.

Gotcha, thank you. Incredibly ignorant question but are these BAFTA Q&As with full BAFTA voting panels? Or are they like ~required viewing~ for BAFTA viewers? Just trying to gather more of a sense of how these Q&As play a role in the race; I truly don’t know.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

She definitely does. And the thing is: She’s not just charming, but she’s wise, inspiring and such a force. Her respect really is unmatched in this race (excluding people like McDormand, Loren and Streep).

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It also helps that her campaigning doesn’t come across forced. She talks so vividly about character and the development of the characters she’s playing from an acting perspective (that also ends up being somehow fascinating to me as a writer) and she’s such a charming personality. With the BAFTA Q&As I have seen so far (Sound of Metal, Soul and Herself) this one was the only one I had seen encompass both factors (and I say this as someone who prefers the Soul Q&A.

I also keep thinking about how she’s highly regarded in the film industry here. In terms of directors she’s worked with Steve McQueen (who has said he considers her to be one of the greatest actors of her generation), Stephen Daldry and Kevin Macdonald. I honestly see no way as to how the final top 3 at BAFTA doesn’t comprise of her, Mulligan and Kirby (Davis is also certainly at worst third at the Oscars).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Incredibly ignorant question but are these BAFTA Q&As with full BAFTA voting panels? Or are they like ~required viewing~ for BAFTA viewers? Just trying to gather more of a sense of how these Q&As play a role in the race; I truly don’t know.

They are open to the public hence how I was able to attend (I am not a BAFTA member) but they are all sent via email to BAFTA members and subscribers to BAFTA mailing lists and they generally tend to be filled with BAFTA voters (which helps because they determine who wins), members of the public interested in the film, industry members and niche cinephiles.

But as I said I am not rooting for Davis but she was so charming that personality wise if I was a voter finding it tough to choose between who to vote for then her charm would incline me to vote for her.

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

McDormand wins Hawaii. She is unstoppable with the critics.

It is expected with Hawaii having the highest population of homeless in US (Correct me if I am wrong). The timing for this film alone could have not been better.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 523 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 23)’ is closed to new replies.