Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 23)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 23)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 523 total)
Created
6 days ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
( +12 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Ashton_Reeves
SN
  • Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

Well, I tried to create a topic about the fact that no actress has won an oscar with a flop this century, I don’t know what happened. All winners have starred in films that have grossed worldwide at least doubled their budget. I don’t think the academy will care this year considering the theatres closed, but do you think that if they embrace streaming, they will consider a film that have been relevant in streaming like it debuted #1 or it was constantly watched by the public? Who would be afected/benefited if this is considered?

the Kirbster. and Zendaya when she comes out. That’s why I’ve been leaning towards them in my ~predicting mind~… All the contenders would be so worthy because they’re all brilliant performances, but it’s a feeling I’m having.

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

If yall wanna talk about hits and popularity. Just give zendaya the oscar.

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

Does anyone else smell Kord?

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

oh my god, this overdone and overrated performance. I still can’t believe this piece of overacting won an Oscar over Emmanuelle Riva and Naomi Watts.

I cannot understand how one critic could compare Jennifer Lawrence acting with Laurence Olivier acting, i watched her on Passengers, i enjoyed the movie but there is a scene that felt so forced, i will never understand the hype with her when there are actresses just as good as her or better.

Profile picture
    Clarage
    Topics:

McDormand has a BIG advantage with her movie

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Well, I tried to create a topic about the fact that no actress has won an oscar with a flop this century, I don’t know what happened. All winners have starred in films that have grossed worldwide at least doubled their budget. I don’t think the academy will care this year considering the theatres closed, but do you think that if they embrace streaming, they will consider a film that have been relevant in streaming like it debuted #1 or it was constantly watched by the public? Who would be afected/benefited if this is considered?

Well if we’re to look at Netflix’s streaming data of each film according to Flixpatrol then this is what each of their films would have grossed at the box office in their opening week if we multiply the Flixpatrol stats by average ticket prices and by 100:

1. Enola Holmes – $32,866,000
    2. The Old Guard – $27,896,000
    3. The Devil All The Time – $16,480,000
    4. Rebecca – $12,670,000
    5. The Midnight Sky – $12,104,000
    6. Eurovision Song Contest : The Story of Fire Saga – $9,804,000
    7. The Prom – $8,224,000
    8. Pieces of a Woman – $7,634,000
    9. The Trial of the Chicago 7 – $7,514,000
    10. The Half of It – $6,418,000

11. Da 5 Bloods – $5,758,000
    12. The Life Ahead – $4,624,000
    13. Hillbilly Elegy – $3,204,000
    14. I’m Thinking of Ending Things – $2,334,000
    15. His House – $1,872,000
    16. Lost Girls – $1,282,000
    17. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom – $350,000
    18. The Boys in the Band – $254,000
    19. Mank – $138,000

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Clement
    Topics:

Just watched clemency and the fact that Ronan, Charlize Theron, erivo got in instead of alfred Woodard I—

Jonathan pryce, Joe pesci instead of aldi’s hodge

racism that’s the only explanation.

Margot robbie for bombshells instead of the parasite supporting line up, I mean is there something I am not seeing that everyone else saw, she did nothing with that role,

Is it possible to dissolve the academy and start the membership process afresh,  the inclusivity guidelines wont work with these racist

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Just watched clemency and the fact that Ronan, Charlize Theron, erivo got in instead of alfred Woodard I— Jonathan pryce, Joe pesci instead of aldi’s hodge racism that’s the only explanation. Margot robbie for bombshells instead of the parasite supporting line up, I mean is there something I am not seeing that everyone else saw, she did nothing with that role, Is it possible to dissolve the academy and start the membership process afresh, the inclusivity guidelines wont work with these racist

Racism? Not everything is about race. Clemency wasn’t campaigned well, was very similar to a movie the Academy already rewarded (Dead Man Walking), and most importantly nobody saw it. I wish people would stop acting surprised it never took off.

FYC:

Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m starting to see a path for McDormand. This race could end up being very similar to last year’s (in terms of the trajectory of this race, I am not comparing the performance of the films of the Actress nominees in other categories nor am I comparing the films or saying the performers have the same status.):

– McDormand = Zellweger: Oscar winning actress delivering their career best performance. Doubt over whether they can win another Oscar so soon before some of their competitors get their sophomore wins.

– Kirby = Johansson: Young performer in an acclaimed performance in a surprise hit on Netflix.

– Davis = Theron: Transformative acclaimed performance but their co-star has more chances of being win competitive.

– Mulligan = Ronan: Performer in a female led December release that does well at the critics awards and is win competitive for its screenplay.

– Zendaya = Erivo: Young rising and beloved performer who has an acclaimed performance and Hollywood is dying to reward but their film is a non-factor elsewhere.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Those comparisons all don’t make sense, I’m sorry. I would articulate why, but that would honestly take too long. Not everything can be compared.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

With your logic Kirby is also similar to Erivo lol.

Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

Also, you cannot compare Frances and Renee, one has an acclaimed film that will be nominated for BP, the other didn’t

Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

No one knows if M&M will be a non factor elsewhere

Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

The only similar thing with Davis and Theron is their performances being «transformative» but Violas movie is way more acclaimed than Bombshell was

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

None of these comparisons make sense, least of all McDormand/Zellweger. Zellweger had the giant comeback narrative, had won only once before — in supporting — and was playing Judy freaking Garland.

Kirby is nowhere near as well known as Johansson was and is, and Pieces of a Woman is not going to be an across-the-board contender like Marriage Story.

Davis and Theron makes sense in the sense that both give transformative performances but could be hurt by sparse screen time, but otherwise the comparison doesn’t work. Davis’ narrative is undeniably bigger, and unlike Bombshell, Ma Rainey will be nominated across the board.

Ronan had already been nominated three times before her nom for Little Women, which, yes, was a late release, but with this different schedule, PYW isn’t one at all. Plus, Little Women is a famous novel and was, in a way, academy bait. Mulligan has been nominated once and is playing a role that could not be more different from Ronan’s Jo.

Erivo was playing Harriet Tubman in a movie that got an A+ CS and made a bunch of money. Zendaya stars in a two-person movie that was filmed during a pandemic and comes out on Netflix. Plus, Zendaya is honestly much more popular than Erivo is.

Mess.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 523 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 23)’ is closed to new replies.