Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 23)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 23)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 523 total)
Created
6 days ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
( +12 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Ashton_Reeves
SN
  • Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I- there are barely any similarities between McDormand and Zellweger of all people.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

None of these comparisons make sense, least of all McDormand/Zellweger. Zellweger had the giant comeback narrative, had won only once before — in supporting — and was playing Judy freaking Garland. Kirby is nowhere near as well known as Johansson was and is, and Pieces of a Woman is not going to be an across-the-board contender like Marriage Story. Davis and Theron makes sense in the sense that both give transformative performances but could be hurt by sparse screen time, but otherwise the comparison doesn’t work. Davis’ narrative is undeniably bigger, and unlike Bombshell, Ma Rainey will be nominated across the board. Ronan had already been nominated three times before her nom for Little Women, which, yes, was a late release, but with this different schedule, PYW isn’t one at all. Plus, Little Women is a famous novel and was, in a way, academy bait. Mulligan has been nominated once and is playing a role that could not be more different from Ronan’s Jo. Erivo was playing Harriet Tubman in a movie that got an A+ CS and made a bunch of money. Zendaya stars in a two-person movie that was filmed during a pandemic and comes out on Netflix. Plus, Zendaya is honestly much more popular than Erivo is. Mess.

I- there are barely any similarities between McDormand and Zellweger of all people.

(in terms of the trajectory of this race, I am not comparing the performance of the films of the Actress nominees in other categories nor am I comparing the films or saying the performers have the same status.):

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

The trajectory is tied directly to the films, performances and narratives in contention.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

(in terms of the trajectory of this race, I am not comparing the performance of the films of the Actress nominees in other categories nor am I comparing the films or saying the performers have the same status.):

And then you proceeded to do the exact opposite with statements like these:

Young rising and beloved performer who has an acclaimed performance and Hollywood is dying to reward but their film is a non-factor elsewhere.

Performer in a female led December release that does well at the critics awards and is win competitive for its screenplay.

I’m still confused as to what you were trying to say otherwise.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Finally watched Pieces of a Woman and all I can say about Kirby’s performance is WOW. So now I’ve seen all 4 contenders’ works and my personal voting preference would be:

1.Kirby
    2.Mcdormand

3.Davis
    4.Mulligan

I can totally accept another Mcdormand win cuz her speeches are always FIRE.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Performer in a female led December release that does well at the critics awards and is win competitive for its screenplay.

And? I am comparing the trajectory of Promising Young Woman and <i>Little Women</i> rather than the film themselves (as you’re trying to imply).

Anyway I’ll leave this conversation here.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

– Mulligan = Ronan: Performer in a female led December release that does well at the critics awards and is win competitive for its screenplay.

I don’t have anything to comment about the other comparisons because Luca explained very well already, but this one annoyed me the most lol. PYW is technically an October release, not a late December one.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

but this one annoyed me the most lol.

Everything I post annoys you it seems.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Everything I post annoys you it seems.

That’s not entirely true. I actually agree with you most the times lol

Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

After having seen the big 4 contenders, I’d have to rank them as follows:

1-Mulligan
    2-McDormand
    3-Kirby
    4-Davis

But seriously though, what a group of women this is!

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I saw Miss Juneteenth yesterday and here’s how I would rank the top 10 performances I have seen in this category this season:

1. Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman
    2. Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman
    3. Bukky Bakray, Rocks
    4. Frances McDormand, Nomadland
    5. Eliza Scanlen, Babyteeth

6. Nicole Beharie, Miss Juneteenth
    7. Radha Blank, The 40 Year Old Version
    8. Rashida Jones, On the Rocks
    9. Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    10. Elisabeth Moss, Shirley

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

I saw Miss Juneteenth yesterday and here’s how I would rank the top 10 performances I have seen in this category this season:

1. Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman
    2. Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman
    3. Bukky Bakray, Rocks
    4. Frances McDormand, Nomadland
    5. Eliza Scanlen, Babyteeth

6. Nicole Beharie, Miss Juneteenth
    7. Radha Blank, The 40 Year Old Version
    8. Rashida Jones, On the Rocks
    9. Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    10. Elisabeth Moss, Shirley

Taste.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

My ranking is

1. Kirby
    2. Mulligan
    3. McDormand
    4. Zendaya
    5. Loren
    6. Behari
    7. Davis
    8. Adams

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

It’s so obvious Mulligan is winning CC + GG + BAFTA = Oscar.

The passion is with her and her film. CC will be an easy win for her. Her win at the Golden Globes depend on Promising getting in for Best Film which I believe will + She’s never won before. And at BAFTA is basically hers to lose, the british vote is coming through for her.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I feel sorry for Eliza Scanlen. Hopefully BAFTA through her a surprise nomination with the jury and how more widely seen Babyteeth is here.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 523 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 23)’ is closed to new replies.