Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 504 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Ashton_Reeves
wolfali
Luca
  • Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Lead actor and actress isn’t solely about screentime. I don’t like category frauds but I am so glad that they don’t go solely by screentime.

Profile picture
    TVLUVAH
    Topics:

Ranking my preference for the performances I’ve seen thus far that are in contention:

1. Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman
    2. Zendaya, Malcolm & Marie
    3. Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    4. Meryl Streep, The Prom
    5. Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman
    6. Sophia Loren, The Life Ahead
    7. Amy Adams, Hillbilly Elegy
    8. Frances McDormand, Nomadland

* Cant wait to see Robin Wright and Andra Day!!

Current predix:
    Davis
    Kirby
    McDormand
    Mulligan
    Zendaya

Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

I think Faye Dunaway deserved that lead Oscar, her performance was so powerful just like Hopkins in Silence of the lambs

Agree, no way in hell Dunaway was supporting in Network. Many say she could have been in Chinatown but I think her lead placement stands there as well.

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I think Liv Ullman was better than Dunaway that year.

Dunaway still made a great winner.

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

1. McDormand
    2. Kirby
    3. Davis
    4. Loren
    5. Mulligan

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Fun fact: if Ma Rainey wins both leading categories, it’ll be the same thing that happened to Network: a posthumous win in Actor and a bordeline supporting performance winning Actress (Faye Dunaway had even less screentime than Viola if I’m not mistaken).

I don’t consider either Dunaway or Davis supporting, but another thing in common with Network is that both winning performances (or projected winning in the case of Ma Rainey) do not share a great deal of screentime together throughout the film.

I think Liv Ullman was better than Dunaway that year.

Spacek too.

Profile picture
    Brae
    Topics:

With this 5 now I think that the only potential surprises are likely behind us, not in front. I’m not predicting it but it feels like actresses like Moss, Flanigan or Taylor-Joy could sneak in through SAG or Globes and become a contender. Maybe it’s just too easy, but the fact that we feel like we have a locked 5 this far out leads me to suspect that there’s a snub coming, and I have no idea who. Or maybe it is just that easy this year lol! I’ve only been following awards seasons actively since 2016 — have there been other years when the main group were relatively locked this far out?

Also, I can’t help but wonder if Foster will get moved to lead — the trailers do not make it look like a supporting performance.

FYC:

BEST ACTRESS — CAREY MULLIGAN
    BEST ACTOR — RIZ AHMED

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

I think Faye Dunaway deserved that lead Oscar, her performance was so powerful just like Hopkins in Silence of the lambs

Yes. Iconic performance and iconic character

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Of course we don’t know who the five nominees will be no matter how much we pretend. Derby almost always gets one or two choices wrong. The Golden Globes nominations are always illuminating. I hope she makes it in but I still can’t help wonder about Carey Mulligan. Promising Young Woman is such an internet cool movie and often those underperform come Oscar time. And of course Zendaya is far from a lock. I believe that Davis and Francis are locks for nominations. I’ll give Mulligan lock status if she gets a Globe nomination. Lupita missing was a sign of things to come.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Lead actor and actress isn’t solely about screentime. I don’t like category frauds but I am so glad that they don’t go solely by screentime.

Yeah but it wasn’t her movie. Unlike Hopkins in Silence of the Lamb who stole that movie from Foster.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Of course we don’t know who the five nominees will be no matter how much we pretend. Derby almost always gets one or two choices wrong. The Golden Globes nominations are always illuminating. I hope she makes it in but I still can’t help wonder about Carey Mulligan. Promising Young Woman is such an internet cool movie and often those underperform come Oscar time. And of course Zendaya is far from a lock. I believe that Davis and Francis are locks for nominations. I’ll give Mulligan lock status if she gets a Globe nomination. Lupita missing was a sign of things to come.

Promising Young Woman is getting Best Picture nomination. Us was just a Lupita thing and we know the Academy doesn’t respond to horror performances. FYI: Promising Young Woman is not Horror.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Loren will pull a Jonathan Pryce and get in as the fifth spot, instead of the young upstart Zendaya (just like Egerton).

Yup. When Loren gets in at the Globes instead of Zendaya. The meltdowns lol.

Profile picture
    Viridiana
    Topics:

I’ve seen a couple of critics tweeting they will publish their review for Malcom & Marie next friday. Does anybody know if it’s that day when the embargo lifts?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

2016 — have there been other years when the main group were relatively locked this far out?

I would argue 2016 actually was probably that time. I think it was assumed we would end up with a lineup of Adams-Huppert-Portman-Stone-Streep and then Negga came out of nowhere and knocked Adams out.

I think if we’re looking at people who could surprise we should look at Loren, Pike and Streep. I think it really depends on what happens after the Globes. Streep could get in if she gets a SAG nomination, Pike could get in if she gets a BAFTA nomination and Loren could get in with either but if she gets a SAG nomination she is IN regardless of her missing BAFTA.

I feel like going into the Globes we have a clear top 8 of Davis, Loren, Kirby, McDormand, Mulligan, Pike, Streep and Zendaya (of course not necessarily in that order).

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Where can I see who is leading in critics wins and nominations?

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)’ is closed to new replies.