Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 504 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
Ashton_Reeves
wolfali
Luca
  • Profile picture
    Aint2Proud2Beg
    Topics:

I just cannot imagine Carey Mulligan winning for THAT performance in THAT movie. It just doesn’t seem like a lead actress Oscar winning performance to me. Like I keep saying I will be pleasantly surprised if it happens though.

But i am sure 2 years ago you were stanning for Lady Caca to win for THAT performance in THAT movie….right?

#Ironic

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Even if, stanning =|= predicting.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Carey deserves a nomination. But I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s snubbed Jake Gyllenhaal style (nominated at the precursors but snubbed at Oscars).

PYW is a great film but it’s also very polarizing & that ending is divisive. A lot of older voters might be turned off.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The desperation from Carey Mulligan stans chile, AMPAS is like 8,5K members among them 1.2k represent actors, those tweets really mean nothing.

Just last year Joaquin Phoenix and Renee Zellweger got a lot of support from actors online praising their performances. This support we’re seeing online for Mulligan, Boseman and Davis is significant even if you ignore the fact we’re in a pandemic and members of the Academy are looking for things to watch.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

But i am sure 2 years ago you were stanning for Lady Caca to win for THAT performance in THAT movie….right? #Ironic

Gagas movie was much more academy friendly and was a box office hit.

Its not the same thing.

And not Wolfali liking that comment 🥴

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

And not Wolfali liking that comment

?

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

The desperation from Carey Mulligan stans chile, AMPAS is like 8,5K members among them 1.2k represent actors, those tweets really mean nothing.

They mean they are not talking about Andra Day, Kord.

Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

Carey deserves a nomination. But I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s snubbed Jake Gyllenhaal style (nominated at the precursors but snubbed at Oscars). PYW is a great film but it’s also very polarizing & that ending is divisive. A lot of older voters might be turned off.

The audience scores are great and most people have no problem with the ending. It even has 7.5 on the bros site IMDb. I mean this argument worked before it came out but now not so much. Also what’s with this bias against old people? I bet they will be less distressed about it than the younger crowd.

Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

I finally got to see Promising Young Woman. I loved the film and I guess I’m the only one who loves the ending. For me, it was emotional reading those text messages and seeing the delivered necklace after Cassie’s disappearances with that song that was playing. I love it. Carey Mulligan was good and would be a deserving nominee, but I think she’s being overrated on this board. I was expecting one revolutionary performance. Y’all should calm down with the way you praise performances so that one doesn’t go in with very high expectations.

Vanessa Kirby is still the best for me. She should be winning without a sweep (I hate sweeps)

I also loved the ending…and I have enjoyed the interviews with Emerald Fennell discussing the ending.

As for Mulligan, I do think she is my favorite still in this category…and I’m probably one of the people that is overestimating the film’s chances but call it biased hunch I guess. I began predicting PARASITE for Best Picture the moment it won SAG Ensemble so it sort of paid off last time…then again each year has its own dynamics.

I don’t think PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN will win Best Picture but I do think it can get nominated.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I have also succumbed to the notion that the ending won’t pose too much of an issue. I think it’s actually the movie as a whole that will be the bigger issue. It’s a movie that is seemingly made by Film Twitter for Film Twitter, which is great for us in terms of quality but a warning sign to me regarding its televized awards chances. I am starting to believe that SAG is where it performs big, but nowhere else (except for BAFTA ofc). Regardless of what happens though, I think Emerald is snagging that Original Screenplay nom.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

believe that SAG is where it performs big, but nowhere else.

It is certainly getting at least three BAFTA nominations (Actress, British Film and Original Screenplay). Even if it wins none of them.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Oh, I forgot BAFTA, lol. I will edit.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I have also succumbed to the notion that the ending won’t pose too much of an issue. I think it’s actually the movie as a whole that will be the bigger issue. It’s a movie that is seemingly made by Film Twitter for Film Twitter, which is great for us in terms of quality but a warning sign to me regarding its televized awards chances. I am starting to believe that SAG is where it performs big, but nowhere else (except for BAFTA ofc). Regardless of what happens though, I think Emerald is snagging that Original Screenplay nom.

Agree with that except I don’t think it’ll perform big at SAG. Best Actress will be the only nomination there.

Profile picture
    Gwen
    Topics:

https://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2021/01/gotta-be-mulligan-right/

In the comment section of Jeff Well’s take on Mulligan’s chances, Bobby Peru captures the exact feeling I have for her perfomance and why I really want her to win (for this character, for this movie):

“Carey Mulligan is acting in a different game than everybody this year. It is an astonishing and revelatory performance that commands every moment, lays waste to every other person on screen and is so diabolical, yet so likable and empathetic, it makes you wonder how she was able to navigate, on a dime, the tones of this movie from sardonic to monstrous to romantic to frightening to very sad. This is a performance that requires a great deal of heavy lifting both intellectually and viscerally. I’ve seen the film three times and it is consistently spellbinding. Mulligan is delivering something no one else is delivering this year — a huge fucking surprise in a movie no one saw coming. It can’t be overstated how complex Mulligan is here.”

2021 Award Season, FYC:

Best Actress: CAREY MULLIGAN for PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN
    Best Actor: DELROY LINDO for DA 5 BLOODS
    Best Supporting Actress: GLENN CLOSE for HILLBILLY ELEGY

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

Am I the only one still predicting Andra Day? lol
    I know early reactions suggest the movie misses to achieve the brilliance it aims for, but it seems there’s universal praise for Day’s performance. I mean, Lee Daniels was able to pull great performances from Sidibe and Mo’Nique (PRECIOUS, Oscar nominated) and from Nicole Kidman (THE PAPERBOY) and Oprah Winfrey (THE BUTLER). I know Day doesn’t have the same status as the later two, but she plays a real-life icon. I don’t think she’ll win, but I still expect her to be nominated.

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)’ is closed to new replies.