Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 504 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Ashton_Reeves
wolfali
Luca
  • Profile picture
    Cinephile
    Topics:

likelihood of a nom

1. Viola Davis
    2. Carey Mulligan
    3. Frances McDormand
    4. Vanessa Kirby
    5. Zendaya

6. Andra Day

Zendaya’s nom is sooo happening

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

The ages in Promising Young Woman were ridiculous because they were all supposed to be thirty, but it was not a big deal.  Mank was worse.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Agree with Riley. I think the whole point Fennell was trying to explore was that this was a group of people who were in their 30s, moved on, had a happier life and “matured” except they hadn’t matured from their past toxic and ignorant behaviour. They were still the same people who would dismiss an accusation of rape or assault as “asking for it”. I actually thought the casting of actors in a range of their thirties was quite clever considering what Fennell tried to do?

Didn’t Gary Oldman look too old to play a 40 something in Mank and more like Tuppence Middleton and Tom Pelphrey’s father? Didn’t Eddie Redmayne’s plastic makeup make him look older than 20 something in The Trial of the Chicago 7? I see no one complaining about those casting choices because of their age.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I did not once even think about Cassie’s age in the movie. Why do people find reasons to complain about absolutely everything?

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I literally thought about Cassie’s age because they mentioned it in the film, ha. I was not looking to be distracted. The distraction was just there. It ultimately did not detract significantly from the film, but I can acknowledge that it was there. It is not like we did not all talk about how egregious Robert De Niro’s age was in various scenes in The Irishman last year and it seems to have cost him nominations. I actually did not think about Eddie Redmayne’s age once because it never came up in his film (or I missed it if it did). It is more when these films draw attention to it in dialogue that I get taken out of the experience for a moment. Timing was more relevant in Promising Young Woman and less avoidable to enhance the story; David Fincher leaving in that line in Mank on the other hand was a miscalculation in my books.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I literally thought about Cassie’s age because they mentioned it in the film, ha.

Oh yeah, fair enough. I just did no further thinking after it was mentioned — that’s what I meant.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Carey Mulligan is only 35, she can absolutely play a 30 year old. Sorry that her face isn’t plastic.

And she was mid-twenties I think when she played a 16-17 year old pretty convincingly for her first Oscar nom. She’s one of those who seems ageless.

Which reminds me why has it taken a decade for her to get back in the running for an Oscar? It’s not like shr hasn’t given worthy performances. The exact same thing happened with Keira Knightley…

FYC:

Vitalina Varela, Vitalina Varela (Actress)
    Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The exact same thing happened with Keira Knightley…

I blame <i>Never Let Me Go</i>.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    S.N.
    Topics:

I blame <i>Never Let Me Go</i>.

They are best friends since Pride and Prejudice if I’m not mistaken.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Speaking of Mulligan I have to ask is there any way she gets snubbed? PYW is a Screenplay lock and she has the most sustainable buzz of any of the seen performers in the Actress category? I don’t think it’s too premature to call her a safe bet (at least for the nomination).

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

Andra day is gonna get the nomination lol just watchhhhh

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

Andra day is gonna get the nomination lol just watchhhhh

oh shut up pls

Profile picture
    ShinySeaDiamond
    Topics:

Speaking of Mulligan I have to ask is there any way she gets snubbed? PYW is a Screenplay lock and she has the most sustainable buzz of any of the seen performers in the Actress category? I don’t think it’s too premature to call her a safe bet (at least for the nomination).

There is a sense that older conservatives in the Academy will be turned off by the film. Moreover, Mulligan isn’t necessarily a household name in the states.

Both of these things applied to Rosamund Pike and Gone Girl, and ultimately she was probably the runner up against Julianne Moore, so the chances of a Mulligan snub are probably small especially since there is consensus in the film community that she deserves a sophomore nod.

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

I have slipped PYW into my Screenplay lineup but it is not a lock… as has been mentioned, we don’t know how the movie will play with members. It could very well be shut out.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

But Rosamund barely had any competition that year. Plus, as I have said before, Gone Girl was a box office hit directed by David Fincher and based on a popular novel. PYW is none of that. And this consensus you mention seems to be, in my opinion, within the online film community — aka Film Twitter — which is not the industry or the academy. I would caution against using that as a barometer. I currently have Mulligan in fifth at the Oscars, but I have my many reservations. With that said, I like the argument that passion could at least land her a nomination. Regardless, however — and I know this is unpopular — I don’t think she’s winning.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)’ is closed to new replies.