Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 25)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 25)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 515 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Ashton_Reeves
wolfali
SN
  • Profile picture
    DestinyFulfilled
    Topics:

Thing is not everybody is obsessed about her. She is still likely for a nom but not the undeniable win some people here claimed. The director and screenplay talk lol… I think I even read about a movie win. Funny how stans cannot catch a break.

True, but the numbers on Netflix will be crazy since her stans will show up for the movie.

I still think she might sneak in but a win was never on the table.

Did people really think Levinson would get a nom? lol

I know many people who sniggered when he was introduced as “visionary” director in the trailer. ( I like Zendaya but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t enjoying the reviews a tiny bit)

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

wattsgold repsrectfully that’s a BIG LIE when I watched he movie on my screener I had a lot of things hat made me think and love the movie that was deeper. And in most of the reviews the beginning of them and some headlines it talks about the movie dealing with critics when its more to touch on in this film than what there saying they being extra with the reviews because there hurt. it feels like critics are being to personal bringing  up sam lol they didn’t tap these deep into any other director or writer  this award season when reviewing there film.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The end of November is ages ago? February is ages ago, not November.

We are in an extended season. One in which films have been coming and going in buzz. The end of November is September in this season and buzzier and more acclaimed contenders with more passion have risen. Look at how on IMDB, HE has 21k votes in two months whilst Pieces of a Woman has just under 17k in two weeks and Promising Young Woman has 16k in under a month. Or how The Prom has 19k in a month. Hillbilly Elegy isn’t the massive hit it is made out to be on here.

You mean how Kathy Bates lost out on her nom for Richard Jewell, a movie directed by a (former) Trump supporter? Or how BoRhap went home 0 for 2 because it was directed by a sexual assaulter? The HFPA barely cares about politics.

Are we seriously comparing a film (released in 2019) that won the NBR award for S. Actress and was named as one of the films of the year by the American Film Institute and a film about the most famous rock band of the 1980s (and of the most famous of all time) with a panned and mocked film about the life of a future Ben Shapiro collaborator?

By whom? Critics and Film Twitter?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/13291677/netflix-hillbilly-elegy-amy-adams-twitter/

I am actually a fan of Ms Adams and thought her performance was better than Close’s but this idea that there is some sort of conspiracy from people against the film because of politics needs to stop. You can consider Adams and that’s fine but it’s not as if there is no reason for others to rule her out from happening. Whilst she of course is very overdue her narrative isn’t anywhere near as strong as Close’s and her category is nowhere near as weak as Close’s. Her performance (whilst I preferred it to Close’s) is also more divisive and less appreciated. Notice how even though Hillbilly Elegy was panned that Glenn Close still popped up at some critics groups (the ones we like to make fun of because some of their choices can be leftfield sometime) whilst Adams’ only nomination thus far is from the Sunset Film Critics Circle.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    DestinyFulfilled
    Topics:

I don’t think Malcolm and Marie is going to receive any other nominations above-the-line with the lukewarm reviews it’s getting. JDW definetely won’t be nominated with how competitive Best Actor is. That being said, I’m really starting to think Zendaya could win Best Actress with the incredible reactions she’s getting. We all saw what she did at the Emmy’s, her role in this film is pure Globe and SAG bait, and we’ve seen the Academy award a young starlet having her breakout moment many times before (Hillary Swank, Halle Berry, Charlize Theron, Reese Witherspoon, Marion Cottiard, Jennifer Lawrence, Brie Larson, etc…). Best Actress winners don’t tend to be affected by reviews as much as the other acting categories as well.

Their movies were best picture contenders…Zendaya is NEVER gonna win for this. A nom is in the realm of possibilities, a win for this..? Not in a million years.

She doesn’t need a win right now:

1. There would be backlash if she won over Viola to become the second Black woman to win Best Actress (colorism…)

2. She will get tons of exposure and more offers for hopefully interesting roles

3. Voters might be inclined to vote for her upcoming biopic (Lawrence also won on the strength of her breakout role in WB, imo)

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I am not even predicting Amy. All I was saying was that saying she’s 100% not happening is hyperbolic. Haven’t you called people out for jumping to conclusions, wolfali?

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

That being said, I’m really starting to think Zendaya could win Best Actress with the incredible reactions she’s getting.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Best Actress winners don’t tend to be affected by reviews as much as the other acting categories as well.

For reference, Marion Cottiard’s film had only a 74% on Rotten Tomatoes, Kate Winslet’s film had a 63%, Sandra Bullock’s film had a 66%, and Meryl Streep’s most recent film had a rotten 52%.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-Jung
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

There would be backlash if she won over Viola to become the second Black woman to win Best Actress (colorism…)

I’ve sene this excuse before and it doesn’t make sense to me. Academy voters don’t care about mixed race skin color vs Black skin color the same way GoldDerby does: for most people it means the same thing. The Black community might be upset if Zendaya beat Viola Davis but we all know the Academy is still largely white. There are factors that are working against Zendaya but this isn’t one of them.

John's Best of 2020

John's Best of 2021

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I don’t think Malcolm and Marie is going to receive any other nominations above-the-line with the lukewarm reviews it’s getting. JDW definetely won’t be nominated with how competitive Best Actor is.

That being said, I’m really starting to think Zendaya could win Best Actress with the incredible reactions she’s getting. We all saw what she did at the Emmy’s, her role in this film is pure Globe and SAG bait, and we’ve seen the Academy award a young starlet having her breakout moment many times before (Hillary Swank, Halle Berry, Charlize Theron, Reese Witherspoon, Marion Cottiard, Jennifer Lawrence, Brie Larson, etc…). Best Actress winners don’t tend to be affected by reviews as much as the other acting categories as well.

I’m sorry but Zendaya is not winning with her movie getting those reviews. She can easily be nominated but she’s not winning.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

You guys pay too much attention on Netflix ratings. The fact is, streaming ratings are not the same thing as box office. It’s much easier to look at a commercial success through box office than streaming.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

For reference, Marion Cottiard’s film had only a 74% on Rotten Tomatoes, Kate Winslet’s film had a 63%, Sandra Bullock’s film had a 66%, and Meryl Streep’s most recent film had a rotten 52%.

None of them are comparable to Zendaya. Like, at all.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I think it depends on what the Globes do. If the Globes give Zendaya a surprise win then I’ll start predicting her for the Oscars as well. If they don’t, then I’ll stick with my guns and predict Viola Davis.

John's Best of 2020

John's Best of 2021

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Marroin Cottiard kind of does. Both were breakout starts who were in film’s with a mixed reception. Cottiard’s win was also considered a surprise when it happened. Not a 1 to 1 comparison but there’s more than a few similiarities.

John's Best of 2020

John's Best of 2021

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

Zendaya is still campaigning just her and john had a interview with gold derby there reviews are split but the industry will like it.

A win for Zendaya today.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Yes, what we’re not going to say is that M&Ms (I’m also kind of hungry) is giving us acting up to the level of La Vie en Rose.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 515 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 25)’ is closed to new replies.