Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 25)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 25)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 515 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Ashton_Reeves
wolfali
SN
  • Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Marroin Cottiard kind of does. Both were breakout starts who were in film’s with a mixed reception. Cottiard’s win was also considered a surprise when it happened. Not a 1 to 1 comparison but there’s more than a few similiarities.

You do know Marion was playing French legend Edith Piaf right?! Her role and performance were hugely transformative.

Profile picture
    H. H.
    Topics:

That being said, I’m really starting to think Zendaya could win Best Actress with the incredible reactions she’s getting. We all saw what she did at the Emmy’s, her role in this film is pure Globe and SAG bait, and we’ve seen the Academy award a young starlet having her breakout moment many times before (Hillary Swank, Halle Berry, Charlize Theron, Reese Witherspoon, Marion Cottiard, Jennifer Lawrence, Brie Larson, etc…). Best Actress winners don’t tend to be affected by reviews as much as the other acting categories as well.

Pure delusion.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Marroin Cottiard kind of does. Both were breakout starts who were in film’s with a mixed reception. Cottiard’s win was also considered a surprise when it happened. Not a 1 to 1 comparison but there’s more than a few similiarities.

Marion was in a biopic about a famous singer, she was in a very transformative role that’s considered one of the best performances of this century.

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

From what I saw Zendaya may get in at bafta and if she does before that get in other places shes good for an Oscar nom.

Profile picture
    DestinyFulfilled
    Topics:

Pure delusion.

Took the words right out of my mouth…

This might surpass the Gaga stans at this point.

Imagine: Gaga, Zendaya and Day in one year…This forum would explode (or more likely implode)

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

People just didn’t learn the lesson brought to us by Andra 22.
    Let me repeat: The Oscar is Viola’s until someone upsets at the Globes.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I am not even predicting Amy. All I was saying was that saying she’s 100% not happening is hyperbolic. Haven’t you called people out for jumping to conclusions, wolfali?

There is a difference between people ruling out Riz Ahmed and Yuh-Jung Youn and people ruling out Amy Adams and Michelle Pfeiffer in buzzless and divisive films.

But anyway you are open to considering Adams. As I am open to ruling her out. It’s a predictions site after all and I don’t think we should really get into too much of a fuss about it. It’s fun!

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Marroin Cottiard kind of does. Both were breakout starts who were in film’s with a mixed reception.

Marion Cotillard was literally playing Edith Piaf(!!!) and was a well respected actress in her own country. This is Zendaya’s first prestige film role and she’s the only aspect of her film that has buzz and it’s not for a transformative performance that has been dubbed one of the best in history.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

lol even im not not agreeing with that as a Zendaya fan. But wolfali and others yall predict what you want so if they think Zendaya can win that’s there prediction we don’t know how noms will be M&M is divisive not panned.

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Zendaya can only be compared to Jennifer Lawrence, Brie Larson and Emma Stone. And those “IT” girls were in critical and commercial hits that ruled festivals. Their films were serious best picture contenders. M&M isn’t on their level.

Andra Day should be winning Best Actress

Profile picture
    DestinyFulfilled
    Topics:

Zendaya can only be compared to Jennifer Lawrence, Brie Larson and Emma Stone. And those “IT” girls were in critical and commercial hits that ruled festivals. Their films were serious best picture contenders. M&M isn’t on their level.

I would add that JLaw and EStone won on their 2. nom.

Brie had Short Term 12 that some thought she could have been nominated for.

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

Zendaya has launched her self further a divisive film wih a highly raved performance straight off a historical emmy win. This attention could make it get more noms outside of Zendaya.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

As someone who has seen the movie, I’m very surprised by the negative reactions to Malcolm & Marie. I did not expect it to be this divisive at all. Despite this, I still think Zendaya is firmly in for a few reasons.

1) This movie is made for industry people. While film critics might have taken the commentary on the state of film criticism personally, the movie is mostly concerned with what it’s like to be an artist, personally and professionally. I predict industry people will identify with that much more than critics ever could.

2) Even if you walk out of the film thinking it’s self-indulgent, overly stylized, vapid, or hollow (not my opinion but descriptions I’ve seen critics apply to this movie), the one thing that everyone can agree on is how good Zendaya is. Zendaya’s role is baity not only because she gets numerous juicy monologues, but because the acting in this movie is front and center at all times.

3) Malcolm & Marie will be fresher in voters’ minds and, I’m guessing, more widely seen than The Life Ahead, Ammonite, French Exit, etc. Zendaya has a lot of star power and heat on her at the moment, something other contenders don’t have. Sophia Loren has a good narrative, but will people remember The Life Ahead, or nominate her for a borderline supporting performance? Zendaya has the narrative of being a bright new talent, and has just proven that she has support within the industry.

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

The Oscar is Viola’s until someone upsets at the Globes.

and viola is the frontrunner how?

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-jung
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Promising Young Woman

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Zendaya is done for the win and she’ll be lucky to be nominated. That’s it.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 515 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 25)’ is closed to new replies.