Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 25)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 25)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 515 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Ashton_Reeves
wolfali
SN
  • Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

1. Frances McDormand, Nomadland
    2. Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    3. Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman
    4. Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman
    5. Zendaya, Malcolm & Marie

6. Meryl Streep, The Prom
    7. Sophia Loren, The Life Ahead
    8. Amy Adams, Hillbilly Elegy
    9. Kate Winslet, Ammonite
    10. Andra Day, The United States vs. Billie Holiday

Profile picture
    Gwen
    Topics:

As someone who has seen the movie, I’m very surprised by the negative reactions to Malcolm & Marie. I did not expect it to be this divisive at all. Despite this, I still think Zendaya is firmly in for a few reasons. 1) This movie is made for industry people. While film critics might have taken the commentary on the state of film criticism personally, the movie is mostly concerned with what it’s like to be an artist, personally and professionally. I predict industry people will identify with that much more than critics ever could. 2) Even if you walk out of the film thinking it’s self-indulgent, overly stylized, vapid, or hollow (not my opinion but descriptions I’ve seen critics apply to this movie), the one thing that everyone can agree on is how good Zendaya is. Zendaya’s role is baity not only because she gets numerous juicy monologues, but because the acting in this movie is front and center at all times. 3) Malcolm & Marie will be fresher in voters’ minds and, I’m guessing, more widely seen than The Life Ahead, Ammonite, French Exit, etc. Zendaya has a lot of star power and heat on her at the moment, something other contenders don’t have. Sophia Loren has a good narrative, but will people remember The Life Ahead, or nominate her for a borderline supporting performance? Zendaya has the narrative of being a bright new talent, and has just proven that she has support within the industry.

Completely agree. This movie will do very well in the industry, and with filmmakers & actors who will relate with the characters (with him or her or with both). And she’s a force of nature in the movie. I don’t think she’ll win (it’s more likely that this will happen on the second or third noms) but she’s good for a first “welcome in” slot.

2021 Award Season, FYC:

Best Actress: CAREY MULLIGAN for PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN
    Best Actor: DELROY LINDO for DA 5 BLOODS
    Best Supporting Actress: GLENN CLOSE for HILLBILLY ELEGY

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

and viola is the frontrunner how?

As it has been discussed again and again:

Visibility+
    narrative+
    movie will get several nominations+
    expert campaigner+
    highly popular actress within the Academy+
    Movie has Actor locked (can’t see this as something against her)+
    performance has been received positively by the industry.

The fact you don’t like the possibility of her winning it doesn’t mean she is not coming. Preference of users in an Internet forum, as shockingly as it may sound, plays no role in winning an Oscar.

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Very random precursors predictions:

Golden Globes: McDormand, Davis, Mulligan, Kirby, Loren/Zendaya

CC: McDormand, Davis, Mulligan, Kirby, Loren, Zendaya, Streep/Moss

SAG: McDormand, Davis, Mulligan, Zendaya, Moss/Streep

BAFTA: McDormand, Davis, Mulligan, Kirby, Loren, ¿?

Oscars: McDormand, Davis, Mulligan, Kirby, Loren/Zendaya/Streep

FYC

Best Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)

Profile picture
    Margot
    Topics:

Can someone kindly explain to me how POAW has a 76% score and Kirby is in, while Zendaya has the same score and she’s out? I’m not a Zendaya stan or really rooting for her but I’m just confused. Lol.

What y’all got going on over here?

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Zendaya can only be compared to Jennifer Lawrence, Brie Larson and Emma Stone. And those “IT” girls were in critical and commercial hits that ruled festivals. Their films were serious best picture contenders. M&M isn’t on their level.

Main things Zendaya has in common with those is youth and nationality. She has no Abuser Weinstein or Creepy O’Russell mentors behind her, how can she compare?

FYC:

Vitalina Varela, Vitalina Varela (Actress)
    Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

I remember when I suggested she was getting nominated and you said she wasn’t and voters weren’t going to touch her performance. I’m glad you’ve come round! Please come back and contribute here more. I miss your intriguing thoughts Jays!

Did I say that? I basically stan Mulligan so if I did say it, I retract it lol. I think I’ll hang out around here more but probably won’t post a lot, the trolls bother me too much lol.

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

The reviews for Malcolm and Marie will definitely be a big hurtle for Zendaya to overcome. If she can get a Golden Globe and SAG nomination she’s probably in but if not that slot is going to someone else. I didn’t expect stellar reviews but more positive than they have been certainly.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Can someone kindly explain to me how POAW has a 76% score and Kirby is in, while Zendaya has the same score and she’s out? I’m not a Zendaya stan or really rooting for her but I’m just confused. Lol.

Kirby is vulnerable too, but her movie was better received. It has a higher Metascore.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I would add that JLaw and EStone won on their 2. nom. Brie had Short Term 12 that some thought she could have been nominated for.

I would add both were undeserved and should be Oscar-less but hey they’re young and pretty and American so who cares?

FYC:

Profile picture
    DestinyFulfilled
    Topics:

I would add both were undeserved and should be Oscar-less but hey they’re young and pretty and American so who cares?

I can now sleep better tonight knowing your opinion about their wins…

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I can now sleep better tonight knowing your opinion about their wins…

You must be blessed with an accomplished life to be so hypnotised by a random Internet post, pleasant dreams sweetheart!

FYC:

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

I love the divide on the critics with Malcolm and Marie the movie its self is very thought provoking and original The crybaby critics are gonna drive more attention towards Zendaya with the critics praising her performance  the industry is gonna like the movie and its award may be a Zendaya nom.  Critics are no award voters if your smart Zendaya will drop no lower than 6 in your predictions she’s a strong 5 after today though.CRTICS DONT MATER WITH THIS MOVIE …THE MOVIE DRAGGED THEM LOL WHO WOULD LIKE SOMETHING TRASHING THERE JOB.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

First of all you need to use metacritic to have a better picture at the critical reception. Pieces of a woman is more acclaimed than Malcolm and Marie by more than 10 points. Also Kirby has won the Volpi Cup and has been hyped up, considered and campaigned for months and that matters, on top of her movie being an audience hit, or at least more viewed than most of the contenders in her category. Both Zendaya and Andra have a disadvantage from entering the race really late and now they have critics against them. Zendaya may have an Emmy win, which is great for her career and her evolution in the industry, but she was literally on Disney channel 3 years ago. This is her first lead role in a movie ever and she casted herself. She is not that superstar some here seem to make her to be. She cannot be compared to Jlaw or Emma Stone as they have either headlined  massive franchises, or received prior nominations before their win. Brie Larson didn’t have those things but she had a festival run and was hyped up for months, with her movie also being more acclaimed than M&M.  Zendaya may still receive her welcome nomination and that will show her strength, but personally at this rate I don’t see it when you have contenders like Loren putting themselves out there for a while and with a clear narrative.

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

Zendaya and andra situation is different critics from the social embargo panned the movie with criticisms of the movie these reviews are mixed and seem very personal even calling out Sam levinson by name. And Zendaya is a superstar she’s has been having international fame since she was a teenager. While her performance as rue deserved them emmy without the name Zendaya her star power pushed her to becoming the youngest winner in history for that  Emmy award she was a first time nominee and euphoria had no genral noms Zendaya was the only one.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 515 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 25)’ is closed to new replies.