Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 25)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 25)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 515 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Ashton_Reeves
wolfali
SN
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I understand people thinking Day still has a shot because she’s playing Billie Holliday and her performance is actually acclaimed and it’s her film that has failed to dayliver (pun intended) but her film has no buzz, she’s not a big star and there isn’t much awareness around the film existing. I think she’s easily behind Zendaya, Adams, Loren and Winslet.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Jajajajjaja
    Topics:

How is she supposed to sound? Like Morgan Freeman?

Perhaps the guy said like she should have had distinctive voice and accent depends on character she portrayed. Like Nicole Kidman, Cate Blanchett and Saoirse Ronan, all already mastered numerous accent and had distinctive speaking voice from one character to another

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Why would you say this? He’s now gonna post for the 100000th time that Vanessa Kirby champagne gif 💀

Let me do it since wolfali didn’t

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Oh now you’re racist for not being a Zendaya fan and not predicting her to be nominated? This forum never fails to surprise me.

The racist argument is the key signal that the counterpart has no idea of how to keep a conversation. They just call everyone racist and claim they won’t respond anymore if you don’t think Zendaya or any other 20 year old deserves all the awards in the world. Basic AF. Sad users that get so pressed to know that there are people with different opinions than them. Their choice? Evidently not to grow the FUCK UP.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Perhaps the guy said like she should have had distinctive voice and accent depends on character she portrayed. Like Nicole Kidman, Cate Blanchett and Saoirse Ronan, all already mastered numerous accent and had distinctive speaking voice from one character to another

Do accents is cool, but it’s not all to it

Profile picture
    Jajajajjaja
    Topics:

9/10 the actresses “forced” upon the GP actually have the charisma and talent to back it up. There is so many instances of Hollywood trying to make some good looking white guy with average talent into the next Tom Cruise, then when they fail they get “redemptive indie star” arc. Remember this 2014 esquire triple cover Esquire

Lol Aaron Taylor Johnson actually has real talent. Same goes for Armie Hammer as well, though he has been in nothing but stinkers mostly as of late. Dude coming off with a Razzie worthy for Rebecca lol.

Though i Agree that guys like Robbie, J-Law, Stone and Zendaya has real talent to back it up but their overexposure kinda bothers me since it made underrated, yet arguably better actresses like Mia Wasikowska, Elizabeth Debicki and the younger Fanning overlooked.

<p style=”text-align: left;”>If there is anyone the Hollywood attsempted to made him the next Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise or Matt Damon but miserably failr then its gonna be Taylor Lautner who is not white at all. Remember Abduction??</p>

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I understand people thinking Day still has a shot because she’s playing Billie Holliday and her performance is actually acclaimed and it’s her film that has failed to dayliver (pun intended) but her film has no buzz, she’s not a big star and there isn’t much awareness around the film existing. I think she’s easily behind Zendaya, Adams, Loren and Winslet.

Agree. I think there’s a pretty poor mix of things derailing Billie Holiday’s chances; reception, distributor, lack of star power, minimal popular awareness, much more famous competition in better films, etc. That’s a lot to overcome, even for a big star’s biopic.

I still think Zendaya is pretty safely ahead in the race for the 5th spot. I suspect the film will be better received by audiences and will be widely seen, and she is the star of the moment. Adams can’t be discounted – a lot of voters won’t be put off by a hammy performance and will generally like her and HE, plus the film has been pretty widely seen, and the audience reception isn’t bad. Netflix has quite a lot of people to push for that 5th place, so it’ll probably depend on them. Winslet’s chance comes from the possibility that Netflix is oversaturated and loses focus, whilst Neon can focus all of theirs on Winslet, but I don’t see Ammonite getting love anywhere.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Performances are more than just accent work though and she has adapted herself when the role has demanded it (like with The Favourite). I’d also disagree heavily with the Ronan mention but that’s beside the point.

PS: not Nicole Kidman pls 💀

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

I’ll be shocked if HE gets acting nominations anywhere. I know they are always possibilities, but both actress categories are pretty competitive. This forum will explode for sure, but I’ll take anything that takes us away from the stan bullshit.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yeah I don’t see Adams or Winslet making it in. I was jus more pointing out that I don’t see Day getting in either. As much as it pains me to say it Adams could very well happen at SAG though.

Robin Wright could be the sleeper contender for that 5th slot. It all depends on how well received Land is at Sundance. Focus are pushing the film quite a bit (even though they seem to be pushing Promising Young Woman more) and voters have been receiving and watching screeners for it. I was hesitant about Focus being able to get both performers in but considering how good they are at campaigning and how they got both Gary Oldman and Daniel Day-Lewis in and get so many actors win every year I think they should be fine.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Emma Stone is a talented actress. She absolutely didn’t deserve her win, but I disagree she’s always herself in every film. Have you not watched The Favourite? LOL

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Wait what? If Emma Stone is playing the same character in everything then explain these performances? I personally thought she robbed Amy Adams of a win for Arrival but she’s one of the most versatile younger performers working in Hollywood today.

Profile picture
    Diogo Duarte
    Topics:

Since yesterday, Variety has been posting hourly things about how Andra lost 39 pounds and infused her voice with pain to play Billie Holiday and that kind of thing … The film was also on the magazine’s FYC cover last week, she sang in the Biden inauguration parade and with Lee Daniels contacts + actor playing someone super famous, I don’t think there is ZERO buzz.

Obviously, this campaign could be much better and those tweets about the quality of the film don’t help, but I think everything can happen with this 5th spot.

For now, I put my money in Sophia Loren.

My problem with Land is that the Sundance screening is after the GG / SAG voting ends. So … or this movie is wonderful and Robin appears only at the Oscars or she will be surprise in GG/SAG, but the buzz TODAY is non-existent.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Hulu is definitely doing a good job by holding on to those reviews. I have a feeling they’re pretty bad. Even Dale reaction when he talked about his bets for Best Actress said everything.
    Netflix should’ve done the same with Malcolm and Marie.

Profile picture
    Diogo Duarte
    Topics:

Hulu is definitely doing a good job by holding on to those reviews. I have a feeling they’re pretty bad. Even Dale reaction when he talked about his bets for Best Actress said everything. Netflix should’ve done the same with Malcolm and Marie.

Yes, I don’t have high expectations about the quality of the film.

At least, Hulu does not lift the embargo with critics, so people will watch without much influence.

Netflix should have done the same with M&M. Before those bad reviews, everyone believed in Zendaya and that could help her on the SAG / GG nominations. Now, they broke the embargo, with bad reviews and several dubious stuffs about Levinson and all that … Pretty bad and exactly in the final/most important week for voting on GG/SAG.

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 515 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 25)’ is closed to new replies.