Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 26)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 26)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 506 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Ashton_Reeves
wolfali
Victor Cruz
  • Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

They like it more than critics. My take on Hillbilly Elegy is that there aren’t any major storytelling issues, and if you divorce the movie from the politics of the book, it’s a pretty standard (and sometimes compelling) family drama. What it’s missing is a “why is this being made?” factor, which Mank also lacked. Critics called it laughably awful. Obviously some people here may agree with the critics, but from what I can tell, general audiences find it fine to good, not laughably bad. That’s enough for a 6.8

thats what ive been saying for a while. HE is typical oscar bait. A 6.8 on IMDB is a typical score for typical oscar bait. It’s 7.8 on MC towers over Pieces of a Woman’s 6.6.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

A 6.8 on IMDB is a typical score for typical oscar bait. It’s 7.8 on MC towers over Pieces of a Woman’s 6.6.

Actually a 7.3 to 7.8 score is a typical score for typical Oscar bait not a 6.8. If it was 6.8 then Pieces of a Woman would be winning Best Picture with a 7.1 score.

Hillbilly Elegy isn’t a big contender.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    lukee3
    Topics:

This is between Frances and Viola.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Critics Choice winner Francariola McDavigan

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

I read a great article about why the ratings for Oscars are at its worst of all time. I think is very simple. Oscars, 99.9% are not for the biggest successes. I can only remember 3 huge movies: Gladiator, Titanic and Return of the King winning Best Picture Oscar

Aren’t the ratings for most televised awards shows down, though? This has to do more with people watching through the internet (how I watched the Oscars) and no way to be able to track that for the ratings.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

They like it more than critics. My take on Hillbilly Elegy is that there aren’t any major storytelling issues, and if you divorce the movie from the politics of the book, it’s a pretty standard (and sometimes compelling) family drama. What it’s missing is a “why is this being made?” factor, which Mank also lacked. Critics called it laughably awful. Obviously some people here may agree with the critics, but from what I can tell, general audiences find it fine to good, not laughably bad. That’s enough for a 6.8

This, this, this, this!! Plus, that 86% RT audience score is still telling.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

The Academy loves to spread the wealth. That’s why with Frances all but certain to pick up a Producing Oscar for Nomadland, I can’t see her winning BA unless she sweeps every televised award. The Globes could also throw Zendaya a major bone, but Carey seems to be steadily gaining steam. Kirby’s chances have dimmed considerably imo. Still haven’t bought into the Viola hype yet. I think she has a better shot next year.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Not Marvel. I hate Marvel and Star Wars. But Oscars could be more populist. Just a little more commercial. It’s very obvious ratings are lowest ever because 99.9% of all nominees are very small movies and The General Public never saw those very small movies.

The whole point of this awards shows is to set a light on movies that otherwise, would never be seen.

The audience are just low because people don’t watch TV anymore, all the awards are falling down.

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

I agree. But the last time the Oscars were huge in ratings was 2004. 17 years of awful ratings. Return of The King, Gladiator and Titanic years were the highest ratings in Oscar history.

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Beharie is not even a critics darling. So far, she only appeared at the Gotham Awards (won) and Independent Spirit Awards.

oh. Just that? The hype on this site makes me think she’s been wining critics awards left, right and centre

FYC:

Best Actor :
    Riz Ahmed for Sound Of Metal
    Delroy Lindo for Da 5 Bloods
    Gary Oldman for Mank

Best Actress:
    Andra Day for The United States vs Billie Holiday
    Vanessa Kirby for Pieces of a Woman

Best Supporting Actor:
    Daniel Kaluuya for Judas and the Black Messiah
    Paul Raci for Sound Of Metal

Best Supporting Actress:
    Amanda Seyfried for Mank
    Helena Zengel for News of the World

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Mad Max : Fury Road should have won best picture that year. No one remembers that boring Spotlight

FYC:

Best Actor :
    Riz Ahmed for Sound Of Metal
    Delroy Lindo for Da 5 Bloods
    Gary Oldman for Mank

Best Actress:
    Andra Day for The United States vs Billie Holiday
    Vanessa Kirby for Pieces of a Woman

Best Supporting Actor:
    Daniel Kaluuya for Judas and the Black Messiah
    Paul Raci for Sound Of Metal

Best Supporting Actress:
    Amanda Seyfried for Mank
    Helena Zengel for News of the World

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Marty you either cant read or your responding to Margot………Which one? cause that’s not what im saying I think you missed the point.

I wasn’t responding to Margot or you? I was making a general observation. Nobody is reading all your essays.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

I agree. But the last time the Oscars were huge in ratings was 2004. 17 years of awful ratings. Return of The King, Gladiator and Titanic years were the highest ratings in Oscar history.

2014 had an higher viewership than 2004 and it also smashed on social media with that record-breaking Ellen selfie yet the Best Picture winner didn’t even make $200M. Ratings aren’t necessarily linked to the popularity of movies. People swore Joker would bring a huge crowd last year and yet

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

The year ellen hosted 2014 was good in ratings 42 million viewers. It went downhill after they started being political and woke.

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

I read a great article about why the ratings for Oscars are at its worst of all time. I think is very simple. Oscars, 99.9% are not for the biggest successes. I can only remember 3 huge movies: Gladiator, Titanic and Return of the King winning Best Picture Oscar

It’s very obvious why ratings are dropping. Because nobody watches live tv. Smartphones and 24/7 internet means you can check who’s winning on reddit/twitter/literally any news website, you can watch bootleg livestreams, speeches and winners are posted within minutes on YouTube. Back when ratings were high it was because if you wanted to know what was happening at the ceremony you had to be seated in front of your TV, or else wait for the next newspaper/radio blast. That is not the case anymore. It’s not rocket science, and it doesn’t mean anything (other than reduced revenues) for the cultural relevance of the Oscars.

They’ve tried going the populist route. Black Panther, BoRhap- both huge hits. ASIB, La La Land, Green Book- both made $300M+. OUATIH made $400M+. Joker made over a billion. Even FvF, Little Women, etc. were financial successes. And Avatar was also nominated back in the day. Ratings have no connection to the mainstream-ness of the nominees (and the box office of the movie that wins BP is irrelevant- how can an award announced at the end of the ceremony have any bearing on viewership?)

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 26)’ is closed to new replies.