Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 27)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 27)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 500 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor Cruz
SN
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Continue in Part 27.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Academy Award for Best Actress

1. Carey Mulligan
    2. Francés McDormand
    3. Viola Davis
    4. Vanessa Kirby

5. Andra Day

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Carey Mulligan loves you, and we love her.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Just thinking about her

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Come on Mulligan win the damn thing. We’re rooting for you.

The most acclaimed performance of the year.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Frances McDormand has been in the industry for thirty-seven years, got her first nomination thirty-one years ago and has been producing her own work in recent years.  I do not see the industry having a problem with giving her a third Oscar.  She is in the Best Picture frontrunner to boot, not to mention that she has given the most critically-hailed performance by an actress this year.  What more do you want in an Oscar win prediction?

For a movie called Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, I do not know how you could not be surprised by how little Ma Rainey there was.  Best Actress is a marquee category.  You do not get it by underwhelming.  It should go without saying that Viola Davis is obviously an Oscar-calibre actress—that is not the issue; the material was just not there this time.

If anyone is going to beat McDormand, it is going to be Carey Mulligan because her film inspires passion and she is her film in a way that Davis for example is not.  McDormand is giving a quiet performance that is prone to be disproportionately strong with critics, which makes her vulnerable to be usurped at the industry awards like Michael Keaton for Birdman (or Chiwetel Ejiofor for 12 Years a Slave).  The difference is that there is no Eddie Redmayne (or Matthew McConaughey), because Mulligan’s performance is restrained too.  The AFI and Spirit snubs certainly did not help her case either.  So I continue to default to McDormand.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Right now, I see this being neck and neck between Mulligan and McDormand, with Davis in a distant third. I think Mulligan has the edge, because I only see Promising Young Woman’s buzz growing, but it still remains to be seen how the industry at large will react to that film.

There is no doubt Viola Davis will end her career with a Lead Actress Oscar, but if I’m a voter, I can’t justify voting for a limited one-note performances over performances from actresses who carry their respective films. It goes without saying that Viola Davis plays that one-note extremely well, but she isn’t given the material she needs to win a Lead Actress Oscar.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Yup it’s Mulligan vs McDormand.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Her film missed Best Picture there and at AFI.

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

i predict the globe will go to viola, andra or zendaya. i have a very strong feeling

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Thinking about what you would vote for is a sure fire way to make the wrong prediction. So many people last year couldn’t get over their dislike of Joker so they delusionally kept predicting Adam Driver for a film that only had major win buzz for its supporting actress. The truth is, like it or not, the Golden Globes will probably tell us who will win or at least who the front-runner is.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Thinking about what you would vote for is a sure fire way to make the wrong prediction.

What I’m saying doesn’t have to do with preference, but rather the size of the role. I’m talking about quantity, not quality.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Y’all can continue to underestimate Viola Davis if you want to. You’ll see.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

McDormand does remind me of Katharine Hepburn in a way.

She’s getting her 3rd!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

There is nothing wrong with Davis’ performance. She is excellent. However she isn’t the dominating force of that movie and that can hurt her when her two biggest competitors (McDormand and Mulligan) are their films.

Just last year we saw Renee Zellweger in a film that was essentially based solely on her performance beat Scarlett Johansson in an a co-lead role that a significant number of people thought was overshadowed by her co-star’s performance. Frances McDormand’s film was focused primarily on her character. Emma Stone’s character’s narrative journey was a pinnacle part of La La Land and she was widely considered to be the MVP of her film. Brie Larson, Julianne Moore and Cate Blanchett all were also the most acclaimed and lead aspects of their films.

Olivia Colman did win in spite of a questionable category placement but she was considered the “breakout story of her film” and many considered her the MVP. Her film also was the most nominated of the night.

I’m finding it more and more difficult to justify predicting Davis (personally) when she isn’t the centre of the buzz of her film (that’s Boseman).

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 27)’ is closed to new replies.