Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 27)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 27)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 500 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor Cruz
SN
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Mulligan is very safe to me, but who knows

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" as Leading Actor in a Drama Series
    Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird" as Leading Actor in a Limited Series
    Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series
    Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" as Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
    MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" as Leading Actress in a Drama Series.

Profile picture
    maxinho
    Topics:

Kirby will follow the steps of Moore, Staunton, Mirren, Blanchett, Stone and Colman and get nominated in both Globes and Oscar as all of them are English language Volpi Cup winners. Don’t even try…

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Kirby missing the Indie Spirit wasn’t a good sign. I’m predicting her but I’m feeling she won’t happen.

I still think Robin Wright could be a late breaker.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Just putting a little word for the legendary Cicely Tyson who just passed away at 96 after decades of iconic performances in movies, TV and theater. She literally did it all, conquered everything and had one of the most impressive acting careers in history I just assumed she would live forever. RIP LEGEND WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH ❤️❤️

No, no. This week has been awful for legends. This is a silly thing, but something very strange happened to me when I watched interviews or speeches given by her: It was not just the wisdom of her words, but there’s something so profound in her voice that would calm me down and made me think she really was talking to people to uplift us. May her light keep shining. 🖤

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

So, i finished Billie Holiday and i got some thought
    It’s not that bad, it’s worst than bad, the script was TERRIFYING BAD, there are some scenes you just cringe all the time.

Andra Day, I gotta hand it to her thought, she was pretty solid and even stunning sometimes, she does slip occasionally, but for her debut, she kinda did her thing. That last scene, she ate, she and Billie Holiday deserved better.

As said before, Score and Design are marvelous, very very good.

The rest of it is bad, supporting players are bad, direction is bad, editing is horrifying and who the hell led me to believe Natasha Lyonne was something? She appears for like 1 minute.

Anyway, that’s it.

Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

And well, with what you girls are saying fuck that shitty Day movie. The trailer said it all. I ain’t watching that. If it’s shit, then let them Razzies be the reward.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Does that really matter? Specially when Scarlett doesn’t light a candle (acting wise) next to Carey. I hate when beauty is the base to be cast in a role rather than actual talent. (Not saying Scarlett isn’t talented. I think she’s quite good)

Preach, Estrelas. The fact someone thinks a woman needs to look like SJ to really catch others’  attention. Geez…

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

And well, with what you girls are saying fuck that shitty Day movie. The trailer said it all. I ain’t watching that. If it’s shit, then let them Razzies be the reward.

[/quote

Honestly yeah, you can skip it, even if she gets in anywhere.
    What a bland movie, so uninspired.

Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

No, no. This week has been awful for legends. This is a silly thing, but something very strange happened to me when I watched interviews or speeches given by her: It was not just the wisdom of her words, but there’s something so profound in her voice that would calm me down and made me think she really was talking to people to uplift us. May her light keep shining. 🖤

I went to a TCM event just last year that saluted her and her films. (she seemed in excellent shape by the way so sad she declined so fast) It was a bit repetitive (I guess she didn’t think people like me would go to multiple screenings) but at the end of each discussion she would stand and take the mike and talk directly to the audience and speak of how whatever she is in this world and whatever she accomplished was because of you (her fans.) (It was more profound than I made it sound.)

I agree with what you said. Having heard it in person she really did have a way of reaching into people’s souls and touching them. (both while acting and while being herself.)

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I loved Cicely, i followed more her TV Work so i don’t know how much of an impact she had on the film.
    But ANY younger black tv actress always quote this woman, and this will never die.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Kirby missing the Indie Spirit wasn’t a good sign. I’m predicting her but I’m feeling she won’t happen. I still think Robin Wright could be a late breaker.

Wright could turn up on Oscar nominations day for sure but the late release is making me lack confidence. She’s certainly in the top 10 but what precursors will she hit? What momentum will she have? Well I guess we’ll know from Sundance soon.

I think Kirby is fourth as long as she gets in at the Globes and SAG. She’s certainly getting in at BAFTA.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

I hear Rosamund Pike is excellent in her new movie. Peter Dinklage too

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Not certain why there’s much doubt in Viola winning. Her film is overperforming, she has more than the stature to be seen as due for a leading win, she’s campaigning partly also on behalf of Chadwick Boseman as the most visible figure from the film, it seems clear that she wants it, and other than Francis her other competitors are a little divisive (Mulligan, Kirby, etc.), and it also wouldn’t be a cute look for the Academy to give it to one of the other white nominees.

You did not mention her role/performance.  The narrative just seems to be stature at this point.  It is not like Meryl Streep just wins every time because of who she is.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Her role is significant and her performance is actually beloved if you look outside of these forums and certain segments of Twitter, which are on the Mulligan train. Her narrative is much more than just her stature; she could make history in a number of ways. Of course, her stature plays into it, but that isn’t the only thing going in her favor. Her narrative is bigger than her competition’s narrative combined. Does it take her across the finish line? I don’t know.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Her narrative is bigger than her competition’s narrative combined.

This is a purposeful exaggeration, imo. What is her narrative? That she could be the second black Best Actress winner? That she’s going to win a lead Oscar someday? Those things have to do with Davis as an actress, but not for this particular performance in this particular movie. Other contenders, namely Mulligan, have narratives that involve both their position in the industry as well as the performance they’re giving.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 27)’ is closed to new replies.