Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 27)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 27)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 500 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor Cruz
SN
  • Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Don’t know what to make of this race anymore and I honestly hate how this is dragging on. It’s late January and we barely have anything

but anyway, Frances McDormand gave the performance of the year

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

WHO SHOULD WIN: Vanessa Kirby, “Pieces of a Woman”
    MIGHT SHAKE THE DAMN RACE: Andra Day, “The US vs. Billie Holiday”
    CAN WIN: Viola Davis, “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”
    CAN WIN IF NOMINATED: Carey Mulligan, “Promising Young Woman”
    WILL WIN: Frances McDormand, “Nomadland”
    That’s it! I said it… I believe Mulligan’s biggest struggle will be nominated (PYW is the kind of movie the AMPAS might just not go for). But if she gets nominated, I believe she will give McDormand a nice run for her money.
    I’m intrigued by Andra Day… While the movie itself isn’t getting raves, people seem to be very enthusiastic about her performance.

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

How is McDormand like Katherine Hepburn?

Frances McDormand does the same thing over and over again. I never see transform into anything.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

1. McDormand
    2. Davis
    3. Mulligan
    4. Kirby
    5. Loren(?)

At this point, I seriously doubt Andra will get in. I still have to wait for a little until I can say she’s not happening (GG and SAG) but I really don’t think she or Zendaya are happening.

I think the Globes will go for Loren and SAG might go for Moss maybe.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

As I’ve been saying before here, this is weak year in terms of individual narratives. Looking at the the past winners:

Zellweger: comeback narrative, transformative performance, beloved real-life character

Colman: acclaimed BP nominee, transformative, showy performance

McDormand: BP runner-up, showy performance, great chance to give another win to a veteran actor

Stone: huge, nostalgic BP runner-up, young actress, other nominees lacking in narrative

Larson: acclaimed BP nominee, young actress, breakout role

Moore: overdue, baity role

Blanchett: overdue in lead, baity role

Lawrence: young actress, soon to be a huge star, boosted by W***st*** machine

Streep: overdue for a third win, transformative performance, boosted by W***st*** machine

Portman: very baity role, other nominees lacking in narrative

Bullock: like this year, no nominee had a strong narrative, including herself, so she won because her movie was a massive box office success and she was a huge star

I think Davis can be compared to Blanchett in the sense she’s absolutely gonna have a leading win someday. But her performance isn’t as strong and heavy as Blanchett’s. It doesn’t quite feel it’s her time to win a second.

I think Mulligan can be compared to Portman in the sense they’re young actresses with more than decade-long careers and they’re in unconventional, but much talked contenders. However, it’s still unclear if PYW will be a BP nominee and Mulligan performance, as great and against-type as she is, isn’t as baity and physically challenging as Portman’s.

McDormand just won her second three years ago and she’s probably winning BP. I don’t think any actor, even the male ones, ever won for producing and leading acting in the same year. Doesn’t help her performance is subtle. She has a lot to overcome.

So I come back to Viola. She could be compared to Bullock in the sense she has an extraordinary factor in a year with weak individual narratives. Sandra had box office and star power, Viola has the factor she’d be the second black woman to win. In a year that looks great for diversity, why not give the whitest acting category to a person of color?

So, in my opinion, it’s Davis vs Mulligan, with Viola having a slightly larger advantage. Whoever wins the Globe will become the unbeatable frontrunner.

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Francis McDormand is not winning a third Oscar so soon after her second win. She has no narrative.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

McDormand does remind me of Katharine Hepburn in a way.

She’s getting her 3rd!

In a tie?

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Ties with Andra Day this year (a musical debut performance) and then wins for The Tragedy of Macbeth next year lmao

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

It seems Carey Mulligan is very loved. Even Variety’s apology

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

After watching Billie Holiday tonight, I can 100% attest to Andra going anywhere but rising up 💀 let’s just say when the reviews come out, they’ll be fun to read.

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

After watching Billie Holiday tonight, I can 100% attest to Andra going anywhere but rising up 💀 let’s just say when the reviews come out, they’ll be fun to read.

I dont understand  your post. U didnt like it or u like it?

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

I think Davis can be compared to Blanchett in the sense she’s absolutely gonna have a leading win someday. But her performance isn’t as strong and heavy as Blanchett’s. It doesn’t quite feel it’s her time to win a second.

It’s hard to find a narrative in the past that is similar to Davis’. First, unlike Blanchett (or Moore), she is not a huge film star. Although her performances were liked by the AMPAS, I don’t really find any other reasons that support how liked she is in the industry, except that she’s the African-American icon. Besides, yeah, she’s not the center of the film.

Note: Blanchett was undeniable that year. She still is the record holder in terms of receiving the most win for a performance. She swept three major critic awards (NBR, as usual, went unpreditable) and that performance was (and is still) recognized as one of the best of years. Plus, she had built a narrative for five (or something) years unintentionally by dedicating all her time to Australian theatre.

Thus, if Davis win, it will create a new story that perhaps will return later in the history. It still seems unlikely, but quite refreshing I guess if it really happens.

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

I dont understand your post. U didnt like it or u like it?

It’s a pun on her “Rise Up” song. The best this movie can hope for is a yellow MC and she will go nowhere with it. Lee Daniels must be stopped.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Y’all can continue to underestimate Viola Davis if you want to. You’ll see.

IKR.

Profile picture
    Wanda
    Topics:

Just finished a film and I know of a certain someone who is NOT rising up. Not this time.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 27)’ is closed to new replies.