Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 505 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
David
  • Profile picture
    Drusilla
    Topics:

Can someone remind me of the last time a movie won both Lead and Supporting Actress?

1999 : Paltrow and Dench for “Shakespeare in Love”

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

1999 : Paltrow and Dench for “Shakespeare in Love”

Thanks. The thought of Hillibilly pulling a Shakespeare in Love is… something. Ted Sarandos is no Weinstein (thankfully).

rubbish

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Boseman buzz and potential win is actually hurting Viola…The Ma Rainey’s conversation will be all about him.

Boseman does have buzz for sure, but his win is gone now that he’s competing against Hopkins. That’s why Viola is safer. She can easily be rewarded without the acting branch having to worry about giving Ma Rainey too many wins.

Also, to those who are saying Boseman will overshadow Viola, I don’t think that will be true. I think both are going to be equally big and acclaimed roles.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

My bad.

Although it’s kind of funny how her and Judi Dench delivered two of the best performances that year but frauded themselves in Lead and got obliterated by Mirren. They would have been much better winners than J-Hud was.

In fact Meryl in supporting for Prada would have been one of the best wins ever. Probably one of her career best performances.

Judi Dench was literally THE lead of Notes on a Scandal. She even narrated the movie. She definitely was in the right category.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Boseman does have buzz for sure, but his win is gone now that he’s competing against Hopkins.

It’s not though, he is very much competitive for the win.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Yes actually.

She received no Oscar nominations during the 1993, 1994, 1995 and 1996 Oscars and no nominations at the 2005, 2006 and 2007 Oscars.

This is off by one year (going by year of ceremony). Streep was not nominated 1992-1995 inclusive, and also 2004-2006.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

Can someone remind me of the last time a movie won both Lead and Supporting Actress?

I think The Piano back in 1993/94.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I think The Piano back in 1993/94.

Nope. Shakespeare in Love was the last one.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Thanks. The thought of Hillibilly pulling a Shakespeare in Love is… something. Ted Sarandos is no Weinstein (thankfully).

That’s why I’m not sold on Amy. But then again, Viola and Frances also have massive hurdles to overcome. I literally don’t know what to do with this race

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supp Actor - Daniel Kaluuya, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

Nope. Shakespeare in Love was the last one.

Ah, thanks for correcting me.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

That’s why I’m not sold on Amy. But then again, Viola and Frances also have massive hurdles to overcome. I literally don’t know what to do with this race

I’m just sticking with Amy for now. She seems to have the least to overcome and a legitimate narrative behind her. I’d be more confident in Viola and Frances if they hadn’t won Oscars so recently.

Profile picture
    Diogo Duarte
    Topics:

I believe Boseman favoritism can hurt Viola (I’m affraid for her), but I don’t believe in Frances winning.

She receive excellent reviews, but it didn’t even come close to Hopkins’ favoritism and excitement and is probably the most boring narrative for Best Actress.

Viola… it’s beautiful to see a new black actress winning the category, with wonderful speeches and honoring Boseman.

About, Amy … It would be fun watch two of Oscar’s “biggest losers” winning together as a mother and daughter

And Andra/Vanessa … would be refreshing see a new face winning Best Actress.

So … Frances only narrative is have the Best Picture of the year (again, because 3 Billboards even losing the Oscar was one of the favorites of the night winning GG and SAG) and being a “solo performance”. Sounds boring (even for the industry)  and the group of 3 times winners seems very restricted.

Profile picture
    LukeOlney529
    Topics:

I predict United States Vs. Billie Holliday will get pushed to next year so that Andra has a chance to compete.

Jennifer Hudson
    Frances McDormand
    Viola Davis
    Sophia Loren
    Vanessa Kirby

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Anne Thompson at Indiewire has updated her contenders predictions (new entries in bold)–

Frontrunners:
    Rachel Brosnahan (“I’m Your Woman”)
    Vanessa Kirby (“Pieces of a Woman”)
    Frances McDormand (“Nomadland”)
    Michelle Pfeiffer (“French Exit”)
    Kate Winslet (“Ammonite”)

Contenders:
    Amy Adams (“Hillbilly Elegy”)
    Jessica Chastain (“The Eyes of Tammy Faye”)
    Viola Davis (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”)
    Andra Day (“United States vs. Billie Holiday”)
    Jennifer Hudson (“Respect”)
    Sophia Loren (“The Life Ahead”)
    Anya Taylor-Joy (“Emma”)

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Frontrunners: Rachel Brosnahan (“I’m Your Woman”)

I’m starting to think that Amazon paid her to list Rachel as a front runner.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.