Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 505 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
David
  • Profile picture
    lady_bird
    Topics:

Some of y’all think Jennifer Hudson is a lock over the Viola Davis?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Carey Mulligan: She has to be better than in AN EDUCATION to get the 5th spot this year.

But she is better than she was in An Education…

Vanessa Kirby: For some reason Im not sold on her lock status yet. If reviews are true, let the race begin, but we know what happened to Lupita last year.

How on earth are Kirby and Lupita comparable? Lupita was in a box office hit that was a horror film from Jordan Peele. Kirby is a prestige indie film she has already won a major industry award for.

Michelle Pfeiffer: COMEBACK story of the year in a so so film (according to reviews). Not a lock IMO, but I want her so bad to be a nominee this year.

Comeback story or comeback flop according to reviews? The film has the worst metacritic score of any contender with less than 100/1 odds this year.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Arular26
    Topics:

Kate Winslet: hype is dead now. She is my queen ever, but Saoirse has the only chance now.

Emm, nope. Winslet is the main focus of that film and the one (with Shaw) who recieved acclaim for her perfomance. Ronan is not happening without her.

No one from a film nobody saw is a lock. No matter how big is the narrative of a certain actor, how baity is the subject matter or how big the names of the people in the ensemble are. At best, they are a very very safe choice.

The chaotic editing from Moulin Rouge!

I love it, I love it, I love it, but I also have my problems with it.

Nicole Kidman is amazing in Moulin Rouge!

The film won the Golden Globe and the PGA for Best Motion Picture

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Current Predictions:

1. Amy Adams, Hillbilly Elegy

2. Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

3. Frances McDormand, Nomadland

4. Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman

5. Sophia Loren, The Life Ahead

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

Current Predictions: 1. Amy Adams, Hillbilly Elegy 2. Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom 3. Frances McDormand, Nomadland 4. Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman 5. Sophia Loren, The Life Ahead

I think this will end up being our final five.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Minari

Profile picture
    Arular26
    Topics:

^^ too much Netflix

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

^^ too much Netflix

In an ordinary year I’d agree, but given how many of the major contenders are owned by them this year, I expect them to do extremely well.

As excessive as it may be, I’m currently predicting 13 acting nominations for Netflix.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

No one from a film nobody saw is a lock. No matter how big is the narrative of a certain actor, how baity is the subject matter or how big the names of the people in the ensemble are. At best, they are a very very safe choice.

even people in films folks have seen are not locks. Locks are fun to talk about in forums but they rarely exist and most of the time they are clear winner of category.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

1. Amy Adams (AACTA, BATFA, CC, Globe, LFCCNBR, Oscar, SAG)
    2. Viola Davis (AACTA, BAFTA, CC, Globe, LFCC, Oscar, SAG)
    3. Frances McDormand (AACTA, CC, Globe, LAFCA, LFCC, NSFC, Oscar, SAG)
    4. Vanessa Kirby (AACTA, BAFTA, CC, Globe, LFCCNSFCNYFCC, Oscar, SAG)
    5. Carey Mulligan (AACTA, BAFTA, CC, Globe, LAFCA, LFCC, Oscar, SAG)

6. Sophia Loren (BAFTA, CC, NSFC)
    7. Kate Winslet (BAFTA, CC, Globe)
    8. Michelle Pfeiffer (CC, Globe)
    9. Andra Day (CC)
    10. Jennifer Hudson

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

In an ordinary year I’d agree, but given how many of the major contenders are owned by them this year, I expect them to do extremely well.

As excessive as it may be, I’m currently predicting 13 acting nominations for Netflix.

Nah. Even this year there are enough movies from other studios to make the cut. There’s no way 4/5 leading actress nominees will be from Netflix.

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

I have the feeling Amy Adams might be snubed, just like ARRIVAL. I do expect her to be nominated at the Golden Globes, Critics’ Choice, BAFTA and maybe SAG, but I believe she will miss the big seat in the end.
    For some reason, I believe HILLBILLY ELEGY will be well received but not raved and it will work solely for a Glenn Close Oscar nomination (and win) and a Best Makeup & Hair nod.
    Don’t get me wrong: Adams does look amazing in the trailer and she has the chops and the overdue narrative. Plus, I’ve a hunch Loren will surprise and she will end up as a major push for Netflix. And I don’t know what to do with Kirby – she has the raves, she has the Volpi Cup, but the absence of a trailer or release date for PIECES OF A WOMAN makes me wondering if Netflix is really taking her seriously. Meanwhile, Mulligan has basically announced she will campaign for PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (something about her attending events online with some slippers instead of heels)
    Right now:
    #1 – Viola Davis, MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM
    #2 – Frances McDormand, NOMADLAND
    #3 – Sophia Loren, LA VITA DAVANTI A SÈ
    #4 – Andra Day, THE UNITED STATES VS. BILLIE HOLIDAY
    #5 – Carey Mulligan, PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN
    —–
    #6 – Vanessa Kirby, PIECES OF A WOMAN
    #7 – Amy Adams, HILLBILLY ELEGY
    #8 – Kate Winslet, AMMONITE
    #9 – Jennifer Hudson, RESPECT
    #10 – Michelle Pfeiffer, THE FRENCH EXIT

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Michelle Pfeiffer’s movie looks like a complete flop, so I’m not sure why she is still being considered. I’m pretty sure Meryl Streep is ahead of her, for example.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I have the feeling Amy Adams might be snubed, just like ARRIVAL. I do expect her to be nominated at the Golden Globes, Critics’ Choice, BAFTA and maybe SAG, but I believe she will miss the big seat in the end.
    For some reason, I believe HILLBILLY ELEGY will be well received but not raved and it will work solely for a Glenn Close Oscar nomination (and win) and a Best Makeup & Hair nod.

If Hillbilly Elegy is good, Adams will be nominated. She was snubbed for Arrival because of genre bias and she’d be the sole acting nomination from that movie. All her nominations except Junebug were from ensemble films.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

There’s no way 4/5 leading actress nominees will be from Netflix.

This is partly why I am hesitant about putting Loren into my lineup (amongst other things). Of course studios will be much weaker and might care a lot less about the Oscars this year but some of them will have only one to two priorities (for example Focus might focus on Promising Young Woman considering the amount of campaigning they’ve done for the film for like a whole year and Searchlight usually do well here without multiple contenders so the fact Frances will be their number one priority in this category will help her A LOT).

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.