Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 505 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
David
  • Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Even then last year they prioritised The Irishman and Marriage Story equally.

Marriage Story wasn’t even on the Netflix home page. They definetely did not prioritize both films equally.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

And what makes you think she won’t? Her performance is being extremely acclaimed and labeled as one of the best in her career. She can very well be a sleeper and lets not forget her legendary status.

According to who? Clayton Davis, Matt Neglia, and Joey Magidson are all PUNDITS whose job is to hype whatever they see. Her reviews aren’t even in the same ballpark as Riva, Charlotte Rampling, Isabelle Huppert etc., And all of their films got actual acclaim as well, something she also needs.

Besides, Frances McDormand is most likely getting the trifecta with everyone else getting their own share of the 2nd/3rd tier critics. Like I said, this talk of Loren being a main priority is reactionary based on stanning and a few good notices, not actual logic.

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I am shocked to see Hudson so high up. She looked, sounds, and acts nothing like Aretha. Its like Effie White gets her own movie. Hudson is a lackluster actress so I wouldn’t even compare her to Malek or Zellweger.

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

According to who? Clayton Davis, Matt Neglia, and Joey Magidson are all PUNDITS whose job is to hype whatever they see. Her reviews aren’t even in the same ballpark as Riva, Charlotte Rampling, Isabelle Huppert etc., And all of their films got actual acclaim as well, something she also needs.

Besides, Frances McDormand is most likely getting the trifecta with everyone else getting their own share of the 2nd/3rd tier critics. Like I said, this talk of Loren being a main priority is reactionary based on stanning and a few good notices, not actual logic.

Every performance has “stans” without people actually seeing them. No one here is using logic. Until the films come out, we are all making assumptions.

What reviews are you referring to? We have 4 people who consider themselves critics praising Loren and possibly predicting her. One stating that The Life Ahead should be submitted to International Feature Film. Maybe you can link me to some actual reviews because I can’t find any.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Her reviews aren’t even in the same ballpark as Riva, Charlotte Rampling, Isabelle Huppert etc., And all of their films got actual acclaim as well, something she also needs.

Relax… The film hasn’t even came out yet and we’ve only seen like 4-5 reviews and you’re already writing her off saying her reviews aren’t in the same ballpark as those actresses you just mentioned. Also, from the small sample size of reviews we’ve received, it definitely seems like the film is better than most of us thought and it could be a contender for international feature film if Italy decides to submit it, which only boosts her chances if it gets in.

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I don’t call this a real review, but IndieWire posted this 4 hours ago.

“The handsome movie (completed during the pandemic) tells the heart-tugging story in a straightforward, naturalistic way. The immigrant drama about marginalized outsiders resonates; if Italy submits the film for Best International Feature Film, it would play well for Academy voters, and if not, Loren could still land her third Best Actress nomination.”

Netflix could see an opportunity to enter the International Feature Film category with The Life Ahead. Also, Original Song for Diane Warren.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Netflix absolutely did not prioritise Irishman and Marriage Story equally – they prioritised each in the categories they thought they had a shot in. Like how they didn’t really make any kind of Supporting Actor push for Alan Alda because of Pacino/Pesci and as soon as it became obvious deNiro had no support they went all in for Driver in Lead.

This year they will likely do the same – if it becomes apparent that one or more of their Actress contenders has a lot less support they will drop them and get behind the other/s.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Why is it that people get so tense about Actress? Every year.

I will say this though. The fact that we don’t have a frontrunner for the Drama Globe and for the Oscar is interesting because in 2019 and 2017 it was clear who was winning, in 2018 people thought the Drama Globe would either go to Gaga or Close and now it’s interesting.

I do think Amy might end up being the Glenn in The Wife of this year (I only have Amy at no.1 as a placeholder).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

Relax… The film hasn’t even came out yet and we’ve only seen like 4-5 reviews and you’re already writing her off saying her reviews aren’t in the same ballpark as those actresses you just mentioned. Also, from the small sample size of reviews we’ve received, it definitely seems like the film is better than most of us thought and it could be a contender for international feature film if Italy decides to submit it, which only boosts her chances if it gets in.

Exactly and you and a few others have already said she is above Amy Adams, Vanessa Kirby and Jennifer Hudson based on<b> reactions from pundits </b>(keywords) and your desire of wanting her to be Oscar nominated. Not even going through if she can make the necessary precursors; is she even gonna resonate with SAG when they rarely, if ever, nominate foreign-language performances? Is BAFTA gonna bite when they didn’t with critical faves like Charlotte Rampling, Antonio Banderas, and Isabelle Huppert? Globe nom is her best shot. Stanning truly goes a long way when it’s based on reactions.

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

Why is it that people get so tense about Actress? Every year. I will say this though. The fact that we don’t have a frontrunner for the Drama Globe and for the Oscar is interesting because in 2019 and 2017 it was clear who was winning, in 2018 people thought the Drama Globe would either go to Gaga or Close and now it’s interesting. I do think Amy might end up being the Glenn in The Wife of this year (I only have Amy at no.1 as a placeholder).

Yes, we do. Viola Davis is literally #1 in the odds and for good reason. Writing her off while hoping Vanessa Kirby has a chance doesn’t mean anything.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Just here to say that:

-Glenn Close is outstanding in Hillbilly Elegy;
    -She has a more prominent role than Amy Adams. It’s almost category fraud if she goes supporting and Amy goes lead.

The chaotic editing from Moulin Rouge!

I love it, I love it, I love it, but I also have my problems with it.

Nicole Kidman is amazing in Moulin Rouge!

The film won the Golden Globe and the PGA for Best Motion Picture

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I think people are viewing this year through the wrong lens. Voters will actually have to sit down at home and sit through the entirety of a movie — without turning it off after 15 min. They’re longer being offered in-person screenings, at which they’d dine and chat afterwards. There will be no parties at which people can talk enthusiastically about what they’ve seen. If your movie isn’t going to attract eyeballs, you’re in trouble — as we saw with the Emmys, even COVID-19 didn’t motivate voters to watch more.

Hence, it’ll probably be an uphill battle for Loren, Kirby, Mulligan, Pfeiffer and more. People will watch Ma Rainey’s, people will watch Hillbilly, people will watch Respect (if it comes out). That’s the difference IMO.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

People will watch Ma Rainey’s, people will watch Hillbilly, people will watch Respect (if it comes out). That’s the difference IMO.

Exactly what I’ve been telling people.

It’s why I am not ruling out Winslet just yet for a nomination. Sure Loren, Kirby, Mulligan and Pfeiffer have more acclaimed performances but people WILL watch Winslet’s film simply because it’s a film with Saoirse Ronan and Kate Winslet.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Oh I don’t know about that. The movie’s central theme, I fear, won’t play with certain members :/

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

I don’t think SAG will respond well to Ammonite because it’s a relatively cold film so Winslet and Ronan can easily be snubbed there. Same with Pieces of a Woman. Davis, Day, Hudson, McDormand, and Streep feel right unless Day’s film is late and then Adams can replace her.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.