Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 505 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
David
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Oh I don’t know about that. The movie’s central theme, I fear, won’t play with certain members :/

This is true but then again will Ma Rainey with its bisexual female lead and its story about black musicians play well with the more racist, homophobic and conservative members.

But anyway the way people are considering Hillbilly Elegy a non-factor on here just because it doesn’t look good is bizarre. This is exactly a Green Book scenario. I don’t think it looks great either but more people will watch a film directed by Ron Howard starring Glenn Close and Amy Adams that  is being promoted by Netflix as a feel good movie than an Italian film starring Sophia Loren. It’s just the honest truth.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Davis, Day, Hudson

I doubt all three of them get in, one of them is gonna miss and it will most likely be Hudson.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Trailer for The Midnight Sky starring Academy Award winner George Clooney and Academy Award nominee Felicity Jones.

Will be released this December.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4bk6aZwsao

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Davis, Day, Hudson,

This is wishful thinking. They are sadly not nominating three Black actresses in Lead for the first time in SAG history. Especially when they are all playing iconic singers.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Does it matter? Viola Davis and Chadwick are like locks?

It is ridiculous to say people are locked to win both lead acting awards when the last time that happened was with a film that was top 5 in Best Picture in the 90s and we don’t know how strong Ma Rainey will even be.

I’m predicting Ma Rainey to do better than most right now but a statement like this is incredibly pretentious.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

This is true but then again will Ma Rainey with its bisexual female lead and its story about black musicians play well with the more racist, homophobic and conservative members.

Ma Rainey’s sexuality isn’t a main part of the premise as far as I’m aware. Although truthfully I think we’re past the stage of having enough Academy members who are that racist or homophobic to make such a difference to the winners. Not wanting to sound complacent but if Moonlight can win Best Picture the character of Ma Rainey is a total non-issue.

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

This is wishful thinking. They are sadly not nominating three Black actresses for the first time in SAG history. Especially when they are all playing iconic singers.

??? SAG is the most inclusive and diverse awards group of the bunch. Who cares if they are all playing singers? That’s not a detriment regarding SAG, that’s actually an advantage. Jennifer Hudson is not missing here when she’s playing one of the most beloved musical icons ever unless Respect gets panned. Viola is a frontrunner so she isn’t missing. Andra Day is playing a meaty BILLIE HOLLIDAY and Lee Daniels’ films have all done well at SAG (Precious, The Butler, The Paperboy). Meryl is Meryl and McDormand is a lock. They literally had 3 black actresses nominated in 2016 with Viola, Naomie Harris and Octavia Spencer

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I looked at LetterBoxd and someone had this to say about The Life Ahead.

“The Life Ahead is a beautiful and moving film about how the effects of loss manifest in two people of different generations and who both carry a similar pain in their hearts. Sophia Loren gives a subdued yet powerful performance and Ibrahima Gueye is wonderful in his debut.

Side notes: Sophia Loren is getting an Oscar nomination, the film could definitely get an International Feature nom if submitted, has a trans woman played by a trans woman who isn’t met with any conflict and whose sexuality isn’t made into a big deal we love to see it.”

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Stanning truly goes a long way when it’s based on reactions.

Says the person who has been ruling everyone else out and declaring Viola Davis a winner ever since they started commenting again on these threads.

I’ve been having to learnt his the hard way myself. It’s fine to declare people who you want to win as ‘the winner’ at this point in time because (especially this year) it’s way too early to declare someone the unquestionable frontrunner so really no one should be attacking anyone for “stanning” influencing their predictions when we half the films haven’t been seen this year still.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

They literally had 3 black actresses nominated in 2016 with Viola, Naomie Harris and Octavia Spencer

I meant in Lead. Supporting is a different matter.

Racist white voters are going to think all three women are playing the same character (even though they aren’t playing the same character). It’s a sad fact.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Meryl is Meryl

Yet just this year she got snubbed on the television side for an Emmy and Golden Globe nominated performance in a hit show that was a nominee for SAG ensemble.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

SAG is the also the only group that, God forbid, nominated both Cynthia and Lupita last year.

I little reminder: Viola has gone 4 for 5 at SAG for individual achievement.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

They literally had 3 black actresses nominated in 2016 with Viola, Naomie Harris and Octavia Spencer

Lead and Supporting are totally different.

Jennifer Hudson is not missing here when she’s playing one of the most beloved musical icons ever unless Respect gets panned.

Hudson is not a lock at Sag. We haven’t even seen her film and that trailer was mid and it didn’t impress anybody to the point where we can call her a lock. I would say Kirby and Loren are more likely at this point in the race than Hudson.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Just here to say that:

-Glenn Close is outstanding in Hillbilly Elegy;
    -She has a more prominent role than Amy Adams. It’s almost category fraud if she goes supporting and Amy goes lead.

Interesting. The trailer seemed to be presenting Adams as a lead. Do you think there’s any chance the two actresses switch categories?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Does it matter? Viola Davis and Chadwick are like locks?

I said they were locked for nominations.

Maybe you should have clarified a bit then.

SAG is the also the only group that, God forbid, nominated both Cynthia and Lupita last year.

Were Cynthia Erivo and Lupita Nyong’o both playing iconic black singers?

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.