Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 505 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
David
  • Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

The film really gives me more of a Chicago vibe than an August C. Wilson play vibe. If this is as good as the trailer suggested it to be (by far Netflix’s best film trailer yet) not only is it winning S. Actor it is also winning Actress, Directing, Picture and Adapted Screenplay (sorry Nomadland and Mank).

We make these statements once a new trailer drops. I mean a lot of people said Amy was winning last week.

Viola and Chadwick both look incredible and the film is looking, but we still have to wait till December.

FYC:

Riz Ahmed- Best Actor for Sound Of Metal
    Daniel Kaluuya - Best Supporting Actor for Judas and the Black Messiah
    Amanda Seyfried - Best Supporting Actress for Mank

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Based off trailers alone, I’d personally say Adams looks the best between herself, Davis and McDormand. By no means am I saying that means she gives the best performance in the actual film. I don’t think anyone will sweep this category- I don’t really see McDormand/Davis winning BAFTA for instance

FYC OSCARS

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN- Picture, Director, Actress, Screenplay

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Based off trailers alone, I’d personally say Adams looks the best between herself, Davis and McDormand. By no means am I saying that means she gives the best performance in the actual film. I don’t think anyone will sweep this category- I don’t really see McDormand/Davis winning BAFTA for instance

oh. Paramount needs to drop the trailer for The United States vs Billie Holiday soon

FYC:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I will say this. I’ve started predicting Viola for the win but Netflix is going to be in a similar situation to Miramax in 2003 (although hopefully they aren’t as problematic as Miramax and are respecting their talent) when it comes to the win. They could very easily get Adams, Davis and Kirby in (sorry Loren) but they are going to have to push one of them for the win. I’m predicting Davis but Kirby could very well be the Salma Hayek of this season and Davis and Adams could end up being the Zellweger and the Kidman of this season (both in BP contenders, one of whom is in one likelier to win and the other in one that’s basically an acting vehicle for overdue actors).

Viola looks like she will give one of the best performances of the season and will imo DEFINITELY be better than Zellweger was in Chicago but I am getting this really weird vibe around Adams winning (even if it may seem unlikely because of her past losing streak).

But anyway for now I’m predicting Queen Vee (Davis not Kirby).

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Viola and Chadwick both look incredible and the film is looking, but we still have to wait till December.

Yeah I agree and I’m someone who often talks about this at length. This is why I said “IF”. Let’s not forget Netflix’s confusing track record when it comes to trailers but if it is as good as it looks in the trailer it could be a big contender.

Glad someone finally agrees with me. As much as I’d love for McDormand/Davis to win BAFTA we really shouldn’t forget how BAFTA is more cautious about giving seconds than the Oscars are (unless you’re British or Christoph Waltz). Viola and Frances still won very recently and I’m sure the former is locked for a nom (not sure about the latter considering how the jury system is likely to put forward more diverse and more British left field Buckley esque choices) but I’m not so confident about them winning there (and I’m someone who said to people last season they were over estimating Florence Pugh spoiling at BAFTA).

I ‘m predicting Vee for the Oscar but I’m still predicting Adams for the BAFTA until I see the rest of the films (with Mulligan and Kirby as potential spoilers at the latter).

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The way you 10 noms predictions may very well happen chile

I told you it was a phenomenal craft contender!

I’m still predicting it in Directing but I do need to see the critics and audience response of the film itself before I consider it locked for a nom there or anything.

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

The trailer for Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom did not do much for me regarding Viola. I need to give it a few more spins.

The best showing in a trailer I’ve seen thus far is Amy Adams, which is weird for me to say because I’d never seen her as a winner in film, let alone trailers.

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

With Amy being almost guaranteed her 8th BAFTA nomination, is she the performer with the most nominations without a win.

FYC OSCARS

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN- Picture, Director, Actress, Screenplay

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

I told you it was a phenomenal craft contender! I’m still predicting it in Directing but I do need to see the critics and audience response of the film itself before I consider it locked for a nom there or anything.

So far I’d say

Picture
    Actress (very competitive)
    Supp Actor (locked)
    Adapted Screenplay
    Costume Design (competitive)
    Production Design
    Makeup/Hairstyling

Kinda tempted to squeeze it in Cinematography too. But I agree, let’s wait for the first reactions before thinking about Directing

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

With Amy being almost guaranteed her 8th BAFTA nomination, is she the performer with the most nominations without a win.

Well I am not sure but the reason I am predicting Amy at BAFTA (excluding everything else I’ve just said) is because in the S. Actress field there for example she has the same amount of nominations as Maggie Smith! I mean BAFTA love her and if this is the closest she’s getting to winning yet I feel like she’s winning there (of course Mulligan winning if she wins the Comedy Globe is a strong possibility as well because I think Promising Young Woman is over-performing at BAFTA and of course Kirby shouldn’t be under-estimated at BAFTA considering how she managed to get The Crown its first (and so far only) TV Award win despite there being bias against the show in wins at BAFTA.)

Whomever you’re predicting and whatever you may think there’s no denying that the fact that we still don’t have a clear frontrunner (I mean I feel more confident in Viola and Amy’s winning chances but it’s not like Zellweger last year at all or like Blanchett for Blue Jasmine) is going to make this race very exciting. Especially the fact that I think the nominations are essentially going to be Netflix vs Indie film (hence why I am predicting things like Sound of Metal and Promising Young Woman in certain categories) which it wouldn’t have been if we didn’t have the pandemic.

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

The trailer for Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom did not do much for me regarding Viola. I need to give it a few more spins. The best showing in a trailer I’ve seen thus far is Amy Adams, which is weird for me to say because I’d never seen her as a winner in film, let alone trailers.

Ma Rainey feels like an upgrade to Florence Foster Jenkins. Looks like the just want us to see Viola’s transformation.

IMO, Amy doesn’t look better. She was just hamming it up cos she plays a loud character. Both women are not looking great.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Both women are not looking great.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

…Anyway, Viola is coming for her Lead Oscar and her Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media Grammy.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yeah with regards to BAFTA I’ve just checked and the only person (who isn’t British or Christoph Waltz) to have won two BAFTAs in a short period of time (in recent times) is Cate Blanchett but she won in the space of 6 years.

Not even Daniel Day-Lewis has won two BAFTAs within the space of 5 years. Viola will have won her BAFTA four years before the next ceremony and Frances will have won her BAFTA three years before. Not saying they won’t win there this year but it seems unlikely to me that we’re getting a full sweep (unless it ironically comes from Adams).

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

BAFTAs might want to cover their bases after the way they pathetically sidelined every single performer of color last year by finally giving Lead Actress to a woman of color, for the first time ever ?

Just considering

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.