Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 31)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 31)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 509 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
estrelas
  • Profile picture
    tsc
    Topics:

<b> </b>Anya Taylor-Joy (GG Comedy, AACTA longlist) If the film were a little more baity, I could easily imagine Taylor-Joy riding on her current status and popularity, catching the last spot, but unfortunately her name was left off the BAFTA longlist, that I have to say, was quite surprising for me personally.

could anya do like Keira Knightley in pride and prejudice?

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

You guys are the ones living a bubble. What “advantage” does Carey have over the other contenders? Oh that’s right, none. She won critics awards and so did Frances. In fact, both PYW and Nomadland have the same number of nominations at GG, CC, and SAG.

Who in the f*ck said anything about an advantage?! She doesn’t have any. The only one, if any, is the fact that she never won. You’re just being ridiculous right now. Also, this chit chat about PYW only being a film twitter/GD thing is just delusional at this point.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

but what asian is there to block to prevent such from blemishing their record of ignoring?

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

She is not a previous winner and she is in a strong BP contender.

PYW isn’t a strong BP contender. It has no chance of winning

Andra Day should be winning Best Actress

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

You guys are the ones living a bubble. What “advantage” does Carey have over the other contenders? Oh that’s right, none. She won critics awards and so did Frances. In fact, both PYW and Nomadland have the same number of nominations at GG, CC, and SAG.

Her movie has four Golden Globe nominations, which means she already has a leg up over her competition. Davis is one of two noms for her movie; they’re probably not ready to set up Frances for No. 3; Vanessa could happen, but the lack of an Ellen Burstyn nom is strange; and for Andra Day the nomination is the reward. And if Carey wins the Globe, the other groups will follow suit.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’ve seen some new tea on this thread that Kirby has a lot of buzz within industry and that is evidenced by Seyfried gushing allover her in the Variety AoA interview, and I would love nothing else but see her rewarded since for me she has the edge over Mulligan performance-wise but I don’t really see it. The year is weird but I don’t see more than 2 Netflix acting winners. Glenn and Boseman are practically locked unless HFPA really wants to go against everything and they go with Hopkins. Idk maybe they won’t care

I do think Kirby is the spoiler at the Globes. I’m rooting for and still think Mulligan will get this (as she should!) but in a way I partly want to see Kirby spoil just to see the meltdowns from all the anti Kirby brigade who kept saying for months that Michelle Pfeiffer and Andra Day were locked ahead of her in the nominations stage and that Viola Davis was locked for the win based on one still.

I think it is clear (and it has been for months) that Kirby is Netflix’s no.1 campaign priority. That’s not me saying Viola Davis has zero chance of a win.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

That doesn’t mean it’s not a strong contender.

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

Just what I’ve been saying… I thought she could pull a Knightley in PRIDE & PREJUDICE, but I was expecting her to do better with regional critics. I think Knightley’s part was more Oscar-friendly than Taylor-Joy’s Emma Woodhouse, but the girl really is living a moment with EMMA. and THE QUEEN’S GAMBIT. A surprise Oscar nom for one of these days’ hit girls? Maybe

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

It’s a top 5 contender. Stronger than Ma Rainey at least. From the Best Actress contenders, only Nomadland is stronger but Frances is simply not winning her 3rd for this.

Profile picture
    lhdang2000
    Topics:

It’s a strong contender. It’s currently looking promising for Best Actress, Best Original Screenplay and a Best Director nomination.

Even if Emerald Fennell doesn’t win Best Director, if she wins Screenplay and Mulligan wins Actress, they’re in contention for Best Picture.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Her movie has four Golden Globe nominations, which means she already has a leg up over her competition. Davis is one of two noms for her movie; they’re probably not ready to set up Frances for No. 3; Vanessa could happen, but the lack of an Ellen Burstyn nom is strange; and for Andra Day the nomination is the reward. And if Carey wins the Globe, the other groups will follow suit.

When someone who is not even rooting for Carey points out the evidence so pressed beings can somehow understand that PYW is not a Film Twitter/bubble thing, that’s when we know we have more things in common against the nonsense. And we grow as a society.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

That doesn’t mean it’s not a strong contender.

0 chance, nada, zilch. Whew, thanks for the clarification Lil Tony. Estrelas, time to pack. It makes sense because the movie has “flopped everywhere.”
    I remember the days when that 72 Metacritic “would doom the whole film” forever. Has anyone even said that movie is winning Picture?

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

When someone who is not even rooting for Carey points out the evidence so pressed beings can somehow understand that PYW is not a Film Twitter/bubble thing, that’s when we know we have more things in common against the nonsense. And we grow as a society.

I always think it’s necessary to recalibrate after the noms roll in. Before them, I was very doubtful about Promising, but I was, frankly, wrong. You have to read into what you have, and what we have is PYW doing beyond what it needed or was expected to do. The fact that the Globes went for this movie, esp. in directing, is not to be underestimated; when they called Fennell’s name, I knew exactly what that meant. With that said, I appreciate anyone who says this race isn’t a done deal — like you have — because anything can still happen.

Profile picture
    Matheus Vaz
    Topics:

just want to point it out that my stan heart would explode with a lineup of winners with Carey, Glenn, Chadwick and Daniel.

Profile picture
    oscarin7
    Topics:

just want to point it out that my stan heart would explode with a lineup of winners with Carey, Glenn, Chadwick and Daniel.

I have all those winning. I really hope it happens. 🤞🏽

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 31)’ is closed to new replies.