Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 33)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 33)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 601 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
7 days ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
Monsoon 🌊
  • Profile picture
    lanadelol
    Topics:

who do y’all want to get in that you don’t think has a chance? personally i think sophia loren gave one of the top performances of her career and would love to see her get in, but i just don’t see that happening.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

who do y’all want to get in that you don’t think has a chance?

Han Ye-ri

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

I’m so hoping the Academy goes for something totally left-field for that fifth slot, and I’m honestly seeing it happening more and more. It sounds like Billie Holiday is absolutely awful, and with release this week it seems the bubble is about to burst, right at the worst time for Day’s chances. They probably won’t match SAG 5/5, especially when that last nominee is someone the Academy is already VERY comfortable snubbing, especially in Lead. Her double surprise at the Emmys makes me not want to underestimate Zendaya, but M&M’s press has been all right at best, and people seem to be ignoring it now. Loren could still happen, but TLA came and went with so little fanfare that I don’t think even her name will push her far enough. The more I think, the more I think something absolutely shocking is going to happen. Flanigan as the critical favorite? Pike in the hot new late-breaker? Han along for the Minari hype train? The industry darling Moss as an apology for missing out on the great horror performances of the past few years? A lot of these are kind of insane ideas, but this last slot is a bit of a free-for-all and I could see a lot of passion votes making it go WEIRD.

The reviews for The United States vs Billie Holiday are already out and none of the reviewers called it awful. Day is still a solid contender cos she got raves

FYC:

Best Actor :
    Riz Ahmed for Sound Of Metal
    Delroy Lindo for Da 5 Bloods
    Gary Oldman for Mank

Best Actress:
    Andra Day for The United States vs Billie Holiday
    Vanessa Kirby for Pieces of a Woman

Best Supporting Actor:
    Daniel Kaluuya for Judas and the Black Messiah
    Paul Raci for Sound Of Metal

Best Supporting Actress:
    Amanda Seyfried for Mank
    Helena Zengel for News of the World

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

I just finished I Care a Lot. I think it’s fun and cute. Pike is very good in it, but I wouldn’t say she should be nominated. She should be winning the Globe though

FYC:

Best Actor :
    Riz Ahmed for Sound Of Metal
    Delroy Lindo for Da 5 Bloods
    Gary Oldman for Mank

Best Actress:
    Andra Day for The United States vs Billie Holiday
    Vanessa Kirby for Pieces of a Woman

Best Supporting Actor:
    Daniel Kaluuya for Judas and the Black Messiah
    Paul Raci for Sound Of Metal

Best Supporting Actress:
    Amanda Seyfried for Mank
    Helena Zengel for News of the World

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

who do y’all want to get in that you don’t think has a chance? personally i think sophia loren gave one of the top performances of her career and would love to see her get in, but i just don’t see that happening.

Julia Garner, Jessie Buckley, Han Ye-ri, Kate Winslet.

FYC

Best Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

who do y’all want to get in that you don’t think has a chance?

Evan Rachel Wood

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Rosemund being number 1 in overall Netflix doing what Viola and Loser Amy couldn’t.

The audience knows Rosemund and Kirby should’ve been the main push. They know.

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

Rosemund being number 1 in overall Netflix doing what Viola and Loser Amy couldn’t.

Yet Viola is hitting all the awards and deservingly so. Kirby is getting in. Pike, please God no.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Streep in “It’s Not About Me” remains better than anything the rest of the field has produced this year in my opinion. Just goes ignored because it’s comedy. None of the other actors here could have done what she did with that.

Yes! I know people like to shit on Meryl Streep here just because she gets nominated so consistently but she is always delivering. I remember when people here were saying she was nothing special in Big Little Lies, or that she was phoning it in in Florence Foster Jenkins. She’s always fantastic. She would make my lineup for The Prom 100%.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Also I think the better than expected reviews for Billie Holiday is cementing Andra Day as the frontrunner for slot #5. She has a really good narrative. I was worried that she wouldn’t be able to get enough press for her narrative to take off but sis is campaigning her ass off.

I know people are worried about the BAFTA long list snub, but we should consider that the BAFTA long list came out on February 4th and Oscar nomination voting doesn’t start until March 5th. That means that AMPAS will start voting after Billie Holiday has come out and after Andra has done all her press rounds. The race will look a lot different than how it did when BAFTA was voting.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

she was nothing special in Big Little Lies

She was done so dirty for that performance. Sure, GG, CC and Emmy noms are something, but she just completely blew me away in that role. So sad that so many people were left underwhelmed.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

um…Hillbilly Elegy was Number 1 on Netflix for a long time last year. Perhaps you can talk to wolfali about it.

Profile picture
    Irie
    Topics:

I’d love to see Sophia get in. Would not be mad at all if Han Ye-ri or Zendaya manage to pull the nom either.

Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

I did think Carey gave by far, my most favorite performance of the year. I am still not too convinced of her winning though… Violas narrative and her star power is too hard to ignore. But Carey movie and her performance itself is getting very good acclaim and buzz.. It’s a 50/50 for me right now (if anyone else feels the same)

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

A rotten RT score and 53 metacritic score is “better than expected” I suppose… Andra is at this point likeliest to get that last spot. Kind of tragic state of things. But at least she was actually good even if the rest of the movie was a mess, unlike some of the other ladies in contention. Wish Yeri Han had picked up some steam but she’s barely even top 10.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 601 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 33)’ is closed to new replies.