Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 33)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 33)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 590 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
Monsoon 🌊
  • Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

OUATIH literally has 3 protagonists… Where is the comparison? No character in PYW has half as much screen time as Cassie. It’s the definition of a one woman show. Meanwhile OUATIH had Fraud Pitt win the Oscar. Totally different.

Margot Robbie is in 10% of the movie. Everyone else is less than 7%

Bruce Dern – 3:06 / 1.92%

Mike Moh – 5:06 / 3.16%

Al Pacino – 5:30 / 3.41%

Emile Hirsch – 5:54 / 3.66%

Timothy Olyphant – 8:26 / 5.23%

Austin Butler – 9:03 / 5.61%

Julia Butters – 9:33 / 5.92%

Margaret Qualley – 10:48 / 6.69%

Margot Robbie – 17:00 / 10.54%

#12 for 2021 SAG Film Award Winners.

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

He’s supposed to be this awkward but charming guy. But comes off as a total creep from scene one. We’re supposed to believe Cassandra, a master manipulator of toxic men, would actually fall for this obvious loser? And the revelation about him in the end is not surprising and pretty lazy IMO.

Dare I say it, Bo wasn’t really that good as this character. Carey Mulligan is such a good performance that people think the others in the movie aren’t as bad as they are.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

As much as I admire PYM, there are A LOT of uninspired aspects about its screenplay. Particularly with the characters. We’ve already mentioned Laverne’s role. But Bo Burnham’s Ryan is probably the most overrated. He’s supposed to be this awkward but charming guy. But comes off as a total creep from scene one. We’re supposed to believe Cassandra, a master manipulator of toxic men, would actually fall for this obvious loser? And the revelation about him in the end is not surprising and pretty lazy IMO.

I don’t love PYW but I couldn’t disagree more. I don’t think he is nomination worthy but I think Bo is great in the role and I totally see why Cassie would fall for him. I thought the writing was on point for his character as well.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Dare I say it, Bo wasn’t really that good as this character. Carey Mulligan is such a good performance that people think the others in the movie aren’t as bad as they are.

Exactly! Aside from Laverne, he gives my least favorite performance in the film. The suggestion that some have made about his role being nomination worthy is laughable. Maybe it isn’t the poor quality of writing for his character as it is his overall lackluster portrayal that didn’t do it for me.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

I don’t love PYW but I couldn’t disagree more. I don’t think he is nomination worthy but I think Bo is great in the role and I totally see why Cassie would fall for him. I thought the writing was on point for his character as well.

Totally, Cassandra was in full depression and fixated on revenge, not the healthiest combination. Bo character’s represents the part of her life she just simply forgot to have, add to that serious and understandable trust issues. Some people really just don’t pay attention. Whew, but there we have PYW getting nomination after nomination for screenplay. Love to see it. 💅🏼

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Andra Day has the advantage of a strong campaign, great reviews for her performance, the narrative of portraying a real life figure, and the film’s late release.

She’s in 5th place IMO.

Yup Andra Day is campaigning her ass off. I think she’s definitely 5th.

Zendaya has 0 chance. Girl is going no where. No one even remember that movie exists anymore

And Loser Amy is a Sag fluke. Sag hasn’t gotten 5 nominees in like 13 years. And I think the only person to get in with Sag and nothing else was Damien Bichir.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Totally, Cassandra was in full depression and fixated on revenge, not the healthiest combination. Bo character’s represents the part of her life she just simply forgot to have, add to that serious and understandable trust issues. Some people really just don’t pay attention. Whew, but there we have PYW getting nomination after nomination for screenplay. Love to see it. 💅🏼

Bo’s character is uber-important to Cassie’s arc. Acting-wise, I can understand the criticisms in a way; it’s rather the casting being great than his actual performance. But he still does a good job playing the character. The Stars Are Blind scene wouldn’t work half as well if his and Carey’s chemistry wasn’t through the roof.

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

I really have to laugh at people who think Viola has good chance to win the Globe. I mean girl is going to the Golden Globe with 0 momentum, 0 wins and completely in the shadows of Chadwick Boseman with a film that got just 2 nominations.

1. Carey Mulligan
    2. Francés McDormand

3. Viola Davis

She can pull an upset, but that’s what it’ll be an upset. She’s really in the worst position of the three.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Carey is right up the Globe’s alley. Viola will have better luck winning SAG. She’s much more respected there.

👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    PerksofBeingaGriff
    Topics:

Exactly! Aside from Laverne, he gives my least favorite performance in the film. The suggestion that some have made about his role being nomination worthy is laughable. Maybe it isn’t the poor quality of writing for his character as it is his overall lackluster portrayal that didn’t do it for me.

Low key if Jennifer Coolidge had one big scene or maybe even just two more regular scenes I’d be campaigning for her. She was my favorite supporting player.

“Someone is staring at you in ‘Personal Growth’.”

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Low key if Jennifer Coolidge had one big scene or maybe even just two more regular scenes I’d be campaigning for her. She was my favorite supporting player.

Yep! Her performance had potential to be nomination worthy. If only the screenplay allowed her character to have more dimension.

EDIT: Connie Britton was great with the limited amount of screen time she had.

👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    PeytonKawai
    Topics:

Carey is right up the Globe’s alley. Viola will have better luck winning SAG. She’s much more respected there.

You mean SAG ensemble right?

Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

You mean SAG ensemble right?

And actress

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Please not W saying Gal Gadot gave one of the performances of the year…

https://www.instagram.com/wmag/

At least putting Ahmed, Kirby, Odom-Jr., Stanfield and Yeun in that group when it comes to performances of the year makes sense because they did deliver great or excellent performances. Most of the rest (I mean Clooney lmao?) is a mess though lol.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

I don’t feel like Viola is a threat to win anywhere. She may even end up fourth in some places.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 590 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 33)’ is closed to new replies.