Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 33)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 33)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 590 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
George Ehret
wolfali
Monsoon 🌊
  • Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Not really a fair comparison. Nothing Meryl did between her wins was anything groundbreaking. Whereas, if McDormand were to win, it would be for 3 very different films. Waltz and Ali won 3 years apart. Others have won back to back. And at this point, we have no clue how the academy will respond to PYW.

For what it’s worth, there’s been some buzz that AMPAS is responding really well to PYW. I think it makes sense considering that they responded well to Get Out and it’s accessible outside the ending. Even with the ending, the audience scores are really high, especially on Rotten Tomatoes. Obviously, audience ratings aren’t everything and they’re inconsistent between each site, but they’re a pretty good indicator.

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Cocastique
    Topics:

It’s funny to see people say, “She only wins because she dies” when that was the only reason people hate Promising Young Woman besides conservatives who don’t even watch the movie. Some of you will try to say anything to discredit Mulligan.

Lmao the delusion. PYW is disliked by lots of feminists and not only because she dies.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Literally the first evening of my quarantine and the thread completely escalates lol. At least GD knows how to get me through two weeks.

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

That weird feeling = she gives the performance of the year.

Excellent performance indeed.

But what I meant more was that she seems to have A LOT of buzz right now and her film has been more widely seen than some Oscar contenders. I don’t think she’ll get in or that the film will do well at the Oscars but she seems to be surging.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

I really want Day in the fifth slot.

Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

Nothing frances has done is anything groundbreaking.

It depends on the role and while I love Nomadland, Frances performance, TO ME, doesn’t scream Oscar or Golden Globes

Profile picture
    Keth
    Topics:

The way she sings and sounds like Billie Holiday is enough for me to support an Oscar nomination for Andra Day. Although I applaud Diana Ross’ Holiday in Lady Sings the Blues, most of the time I knew I was listening to Ms. Ross sing. Not so with Day – she captured the off beat and tempered lullaby crooning that made Holiday a legend and why Holiday is still loved by so many, me included. The last time I remember an actress playing a real life singer and capturing the voice so perfectly was Sissy Spacek as Loretta Lynn. And she rightfully won the Oscar for it. I know it’s not going to happen – just praying for a nomination. I would love, and will probably stand up and applaud in my living room if I’m not “the Oscar goes to Olivia Colman” shocked, if Andra Day somehow wins the Oscar. She’s that good!

The movie isn’t perfect, but it has moments. Powerful moments, unsettling moments, moments where I hated the United States for how they went after Holiday time and again.

I knew what the song Strange Fruit was about, but this movie makes you really focus on the lyrics and the pain of lynching. Andra Day’s performance of the song is just heartbreaking. She was Billie Holiday.

I have to change my Best Actress lineup on my Gold Derby ballot yet again.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

It’s funny to see people say, “She only wins because she dies” when that was the only reason people hate Promising Young Woman besides conservatives who don’t even watch the movie. Some of you will try to say anything to discredit Mulligan. I, as her supporter, find it unbelievable how she’s taken the top spot so quickly on people’s predictions and even here. Does the Golden Globes have that much power? I feel like people too quickly assume she’s the favorite here. At this point, I still think it’s between her and Davis, (I really doubt they’d give McDormand the third one for Fran, she may need a completely different role like Mulligan as Cassie to get one that quickly) and it’s too close to be certain.

A lot of people checking this thread haven’t seen this movie yet, can you please be more careful with your posts in the future? At least reserve them for the specific thread on the movie itself.

FYC:

Vitalina Varela, Vitalina Varela (Actress)
    Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

IK some users are going to come at me side ways for my opinion but…idgaf.

In many ways BH reminds me of Judy. Two fairly average films featuring two impressive central performances that are undeniably nomination worthy. In Zellweger’s case, award winning.

Before anyone starts, I acknowledge that Judy is a superior movie, with better reviews, and a whole comeback narrative. But let’s be real…it’s the portrayal that received more acclaim than the actual project itself.

Day is in a somewhat similar situation: she’s depicting a beloved icon in a transformative & emotional display that requires her to sing with her own voice. Despite a mixed to poor reception, I still believe Academy members will eat this role up and Andra will receive that 4th/5th nod slot.

And also…in a year where Close could potentially win for a critically panned film, we’ve got to stop cherry picking who gets a pass & who doesn’t when it comes to reviews. Voters clearly don’t care about that as much as we think.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Andra Day gives the best performance in this category. Yes…..I’m saying it aloud. She’s just so great.

And the film is much better than the silly critics and some pained GD users claimed it is. As far as I’m concerned, that 54% MC rating is a fraud. It should be in the 70s. It should be winning costume + make up and hairstyling….unfortunately, it wasn’t even shortlisted for the latter

Andra Day should be winning Best Actress

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

Gonna watch us vs billie now. Brb

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    Jojo Betzler
    Topics:

I’m not predicting McDormand, but the important thing to note is both 3BB and Nomadland are BP top 2 films and Frances is the face of both of them. This was why the Academy was willing to give her a 2nd Oscar over an Oscar-less Sally Hawkins who had a baity role in a BP winner, and similarly why it could very well happen again this year. Frances McDormand is a beloved legend and on both occasions she has the film to back her up. It’s not comparable to Meryl and her long struggle to win a 3rd Oscar in the 1990s and 2000s, because none of her films she was nominated for were remotely strong with the Academy. Meryl is undeniably the Academy’s favorite of course, but her stature could only take her that far.

If Nomadland is winning BP then of course Frances has a good shot, despite the fact that it would be her 3rd Oscar. I don’t think that would stop a good number of voters from voting her, if they really loved Nomadland.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

IK some users are going to come at me side ways for my opinion but…idgaf.

In many ways BH reminds me of Judy. Two fairly average films featuring two impressive central performances that are undeniably nomination worthy. In Zellweger’s case, award winning.

Before anyone starts, I acknowledge that Judy is a superior movie, with better reviews, and a whole comeback narrative. But let’s be real…it’s the portrayal that received more acclaim than the actual project itself.

Day is in a somewhat similar situation: she’s depicting a beloved icon in a transformative & emotional display that requires her to sing with her own voice. Despite a mixed to poor reception, I still believe Academy members will eat this role up and Andra will receive that 4th/5th nod slot.

And also…in a year where Close could potentially win for a critically panned film, we’ve got to stop cherry picking who gets a pass & who doesn’t when it comes to reviews. Voters clearly don’t care about that as much as we think.

Thats why I’ve been going off on mediocre white women that constantly get awarded in this category for mediocre films. The difference between Hillbilly Elegy, Judy, and Billie Holiday isnt as far as some people are trying to make it out to be.

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

Thats why I’ve been going off on mediocre white women that constantly get awarded in this category for mediocre films. The difference between Hillbilly Elegy, Judy, and Billie Holiday isnt as far as some people are trying to make it out to be.

You’re argument is a little funny when there are other POC that are gonna get nominated and in the same category. Day isn’t a Hollywood legend and this is coming from someone who doesn’t want Close to win.

I’m about halfway thru BH and the movie is awful. Day is giving her best and everyone around her is letting her down.

#12 for 2021 SAG Film Award Winners.

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I’m now feeling like they will award BP to TTOTC7 but give Chloe BD. They may not want to give McDormand her 3rd Oscar period.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 590 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 33)’ is closed to new replies.