Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 34)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 34)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 757 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Philip
wolfali
wattsgold
  • Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Uff The PYW haters are out in droves. Making a bunch of baseless claims.
    The only win PYW was expected to win and didn’t was best drama actress.
    I don’t know how losing that has anything to do whether it gets in Bp or not or whether Fennel gets in Director.

PYW is getting Actress and Screenplay noms for sure.

But the affects of this unexpected GG loss are not limited to only one category. Same for other films and their wins/loss.
    We know what type of film PYW is, whether it’s a typical Oscars-bait film, where it could win most awards, how GG was expected to treat it ,and if it also performs well in other precursors(AFI.SAG…)

So saying it “not top 3 BP rn” or “less possible in BD” is absolutely nothing wrong. Don’t get so easily triggered by these harmless statements. Nobody is saying it’s dead or it’s getting snubbed.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

The only black winner that was really surprising was Andra.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

It’s interesting because before anyone saw her movie, a lot of people including myself thought Andra Day was a strong contender for the win. But then early reactions were super mediocre so we were like “oh, well.”

We do have precedent for a Globe turning into an Oscar w/o noms for Sag/Bafta: Regina King. But Beale had great reviews, and Globe noms for picture/writing…

Profile picture
    ShinySeaDiamond
    Topics:

Still pretty shocked by Bakalova’s loss even if some saw the Pike upset coming All three winners from the male categories were excepted but they just decided to do whatever with the girls

Pike was on her third nomination with the Globes, and if people believe she should’ve won an Oscar over Moore in 2015, that translates into the Sentiment that she should have a Golden Globe for Gone Girl, and rewarding her for playing a somewhat similar character. I Care A Lot is also very popular on Netflix while a lot of other competing films are doing poorly box office wise due to NY and LA not having their cinemas open and Middle America not embracing those films for a variety of reasons.

Profile picture
    ShinySeaDiamond
    Topics:

I think PYW is also likely to get a nomination for Best Original Screenplay. In fact, I think its chances for a writing nomination are stronger than its chances for a Best Director nomination.

Yeah Fennell is in danger in director partly because she can be recognised in screenplay.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Current Predictions

BEST ACTRESS
    Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Andra Day, The United States vs. Billie Holiday
    Frances McDormand, Nomadland
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman
    Rosamund Pike, I Care a Lot

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

This is what I was worried in the previous thread. People were too confident in Mulligan’s chance once the nomination comes out. She was thought to be snubbed to suddenly become an immediate front runner in that morning. However, not to sound salty here since I’ve been rooting for the film since the beginning, but is there any chance they were changing the votes? I cannot find anything about the voting deadline for the Globes at all. I just find it funny that right after the controversy, they immediately apologize on live television and all the Black nominees in the film categories (except Original Song) won. I’m not saying the nominees are not brilliant, I just find it… weird(?!?) that an award ceremony that’s been known to have never celebrated Black excellence to suddenly do so amid controversy?

These r valid points.

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    lhdang2000
    Topics:

Just before nominations there was rumors that voters really like The Us vs Billie Holiday and that Andra Day should be expected, she ended with two nominations, she campaigned a lot during voting, I just knew she was not losing given her performance (she’s basically undeniable) and that’s why I predicted her. Also Boseman and Kaluuya still made sense, I mean Boseman duh? And SBC was winning comedy actor. This isn’t the first time hfpa let some films go home empty handed like The Irishman and the Two Popes last year? Also no one is saying shite about Pike winning?? Like black actors benefited from the backlash when they always made sense?

I hope this last part was not directed towards me since I didn’t mean to cause backlash or anything. I don’t think I’ve even criticized anybody’s performance here, especially ones that I haven’t watched yet like Day’s. Congrats to her, and I won’t have any opinions about her win until I watch the film. I’m shocked by Rosamund Pike’s win too if you look at the reaction thread.

While Kaluuya and Boseman, who deservedly won, was expected to win, some people still predicted SBC and Sir Hopkins to win just because of how HFPA treated Black actors and actresses in the past. I just find it extremely interesting that the winners from all four lead acting categories are not in the Best Picture-nominated films. Has it ever happened before?

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

I do not get the Pike nomination predictions. I just don’t see it happening.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

I am not going to be lectured about “what’s sinking” and “not sinking” by a Zendaya stan predicting Sam Levinson for Best Director.

I haven’t updated predictions in a LONG time and I thought I told you before the only reason why I have weird choices in my slots rn is for good odds in case? I’m not even predicting Levinson, you’re so repetitive. You really thought you did something.

And yes, PYW is sinking. Only reason why we all assumed it would bag big nominations was because Mulligan was the presumed frontrunner, now she’s likely (if thats even the word for it) not winning anything. Maybe use that Zendaya drag if I ever suggest she’s ending Mulligan, which I haven’t.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

PYW could be this year’s Lady Bird and go home empty handed 👀 I mean even The Globes said ‘nah’.

It might even miss Best Director 🤷🏾‍♂️. Not expecting much from that film at Oscars outside of nominations.

👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

I do not get the Pike nomination predictions. I just don’t see it happening.

Golden Globe win + recent/late release

👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

I hope this last part was not directed towards me since I didn’t mean to cause backlash or anything. I don’t think I’ve even criticized anybody’s performance here, especially ones that I haven’t watched yet like Day’s. Congrats to her, and I won’t have any opinions about her win until I watch the film. I’m shocked by Rosamund Pike’s win too if you look at the reaction thread.

While Kaluuya and Boseman, who deservedly won, was expected to win, some people still predicted SBC and Sir Hopkins to win just because of how HFPA treated Black actors and actresses in the past. I just find it extremely interesting that the winners from all four lead acting categories are not in the Best Picture-nominated films. Has it ever happened before?

Umm SBC won lead for Borat, which also won Best Picture Comedy.

#12 for 2021 SAG Film Award Winners.

Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

Wow, this was a surprise. Mulligan not winning the Globe makes me sad. I haven’t seen her performance but she was the early favorite eleven years ago for An Education in the Best Actress race and she lost to frickin Sandra Bullock which was the beginning of the latter sweeping the race. Mulligan probably should have remembered that tonight. You always need to keep things in perspective and McDormand and Davis wins were definitely possibilities.

In a normal year, I’d be skeptical of Day winning without a SAG nomination but this year is crazy and even last year showed that big surprises are possible with Parasite winning Best Picture, Director, and International Film which shocked me. And this year is even crazier with COVID19 and a longer wait until the ceremony.

Profile picture
    Cocastique
    Topics:

Golden Globe win + recent/late release

+ the film is a hit.

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 757 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 34)’ is closed to new replies.