Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 34)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 34)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 616 through 630 (of 757 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Philip
wolfali
wattsgold
  • Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

1. McDormand
    2. Davis
    3. Day
    4. Mulligan
    5. Kirby

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

Viola won SAG in 2012 and she failed to pulled a Halle Berry…Why are you so confident they will give her a second win like that? Chadwick is literally winning for the same film. It’s a done deal Andra Day will ride that narrative to an Oscar win, no way Viola beats her, I mean she literally beat Viola at the GG, HFPA knew what they were doing … maybe if you watch Andra performance you’ll understand why we’re saying this, it’s an undeniable performance and she just got what she needed the most.

Again, not undeniable if you miss out on 2 major award nominations lol.

#12 for 2021 SAG Film Award Winners.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Mulligan’s to lose? After she lost the award she should have easily won? C’mon now. And God forbid Andra won because they loved her performance. They gave her two nominations in the first place, so why is it so hard to imagine that they just loved the performance?

Exactly. Not sure why BAFTA would obviously be hers either, they don’t award people just because they are British.

Profile picture
    joesilver
    Topics:

And why do you say? Pls tell me it’s not because they’re both Black.

No. It’s because of the performance (Andra’s performance is 100% lead and more Oscar friendly IMO)

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I’m not sold on Day winning the Oscar quite yet…what is her narrative exactly?

Recent musician biopics had more going for them. Malek overcame mixed reviews by strong box office and having a fairly successful TV career behind him. Zellweger had comeback narrative and successful movie career already. Obviously Day can’t help the box office factor but that helped Malek over the line. How can she possibly overcome the obstacles of other major precursor snubs and mixed movie reviews without at least a career to back her up? We all know a great performance alone isn’t enough. And King also had a career behind her so can’t see that route either…

FYC:

Vitalina Varela, Vitalina Varela (Actress)
    Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

No. It’s because of the performance (Andra’s performance is 100% lead and more Oscar friendly IMO)

Okay, but then why compare her and Viola? There are three other people in this race.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

I just want to remind you….

If both Davis and Boseman win Oscars, Ma Rainey will be the first film to win both Actor and Actress since 1991’s “The Silence of the Lambs” and (*edited) 1997’s “As Good As it Gets”

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Mulligan’s to lose? After she lost the award she should have easily won? C’mon now. And God forbid Andra won because they loved her performance. They gave her two nominations in the first place, so why is it so hard to imagine that they just loved the performance?

If you want to use that logic of giving her two nominations, then she’s not taking the Oscars at all, since her song, which should be easily shortlisted, wasn’t even shortlisted and Billie Holiday missed Costumes, Make Up and Score, which shows the lack of support.

And I agree with you, I was just joking about voting last minute. A guy from Next Best Picture told a couple weeks ago that HFPA loved Billie Holiday, so the signs were there. We just didn’t want to believe.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

If both Davis and Boseman win Oscars, Ma Rainey will be the first film to win both Actor and Actress since 1991’s The Silence of the Lambs.

Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt in As Good As It Gets (1997)*

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Andra’s song wasn’t shortlisted because not enough voters had probably seen the movie. Or maybe they just didn’t like the song, I don’t know. I never thought it would hurt Andra’s chances at all. She was absolutely charming and wonderful in her speech last night, and I bet you that many more voters are going to watch that movie now. She also 100% fits the bill in regards to the type of role she’s playing and the type of performance she’s giving.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt in As Good As It Gets (1997)*

Sorry I forgot! Thanks!

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

If both Davis and Boseman win Oscars, Ma Rainey will be the first film to win both Actor and Actress since 1991’s The Silence of the Lambs.

It’s actually As Good as it Gets, but Viola is reminding me of Hopkins on this one

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" as Leading Actor in a Drama Series
    Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird" as Leading Actor in a Limited Series
    Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series
    Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" as Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
    MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" as Leading Actress in a Drama Series.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

As much as I like Andra Day. She’ll really would be a first if she wins the Oscar. Who has ever won an Oscar with just a Golden Globe?

Regina King had like 30 critic wins + Golden Globe and Critics Choice and her film had like 3 nominations.

I still think BAFTA decides who wins like they did with Alan Arkin, Tilda Swinton, Cotillard, Colman, etc.

Usually in years where the winner are scattered BAFTA chooses the winner.

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Day isnt winning the oscar.

6th Place WGA 2021
    12th Place VES 2021
    61st Place BAFTA nominations 2021

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Wow I got completely same list and order with you. I thought I’m among the minority who put Davis below Day and Mulligan now…. guess I’m not alone.

Mulligan and McDormand to me are definitely top 3 on the basis that they are in the bigger Picture contenders (McDormand of course is in the Oscar frontrunner). I personally think McDormand is 2nd at worst because we’ve seen this type of critically beloved performance from a Best Picture frontrunner before. Remember Sally Hawkins in The Shape of Water? I think if McDormand takes CC and SAG the race is over. If Day however takes CC then there’s no beating her. I am not buying Mulligan taking CC but I hope I’m wrong.

Davis feels like an easy 4th to me. That may change if she wins SAG but Chadwick is already winning and I don’t see why they would award another lead performance from the same film at the same time. Then again none of us really saw Andra Day win the Globe lol.

I think Kirby could miss but the only person I can see her missing for is Pike who has been rising since that film was released and now has the press from a Globe win to help her. The problem though is that Pike’s character (whilst an excellent characterisation is provided by Pike) in that film has no redeeming features whatsoever. Will Academy members be able to see the difference? Maybe but idk. The Globe win does put her firmly in the top 6 regardless.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Viewing 15 posts - 616 through 630 (of 757 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 34)’ is closed to new replies.