Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 35)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 35)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 554 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Ashton_Reeves
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Therefore, I really don’t think Viola Davis can be ruled out there either. Her Widows nom also indicate they like her.

Widows is a film produced by Film4 (a well respected production company in the British film industry) and directed by Steve McQueen (who is like a god in the British film industry). I do think Davis can win at BAFTA because Ma Rainey feels like it’s quite widely seen and Netflix have been campaigning A LOT for BAFTA but the reason Davis was nominated was not (or at least not only) because “they like her”. Otherwise Annette Bening should have been nominated for The Report there because they nominated her for Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I actually don’t think Day will win (or tie) at Critics Choice. Remember when Rami Malek upset at the Globes but Critics Choice doubled down with rewarding Bale? They also didn’t nominate Taron Egerton. So they don’t fall for showy musician performances as easily as the Globes and, while they’re not necessarily high brow critics, they do have some standards for quality of film.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Am I the only person predicting McDormand? Day has buzz right now but she’s hurt by her film not being a Best Picture nominee. Especially when Davis is in a Best Picture nominee. However Davis herself is hurt by possibly gaining no traction for the win (she needs SAG). Mulligan (like Davis) will be in a Best Picture nominee but she’s been dealt a punch by her Globes loss (although I guess you could say so have McDormand and Davis).

I feel like when there’s a race as open as this one the Academy often defaults to the person who is in the biggest contender in Picture. Olivia Colman, Emma Stone, Jennifer Lawrence, Adrien Brody…

I mean I’m not saying McDormand will win. She of course could lose to Davis, Day, Mulligan, anyone, etc… But I feel like her chances are understated on here.

Yeah, I actually totally agree with this. People are definitely underestimating McDormand. I just don’t think enough people—especially if they love Nomadland—can love this money and think “oh she’s great but….no, let’s not give her a 3rd Oscar even if she deserves it.” All they’re thinking is: “Damn. Holy fuck.”

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

The last time Mulligan had this great a shot at an Oscar, Sandra Bullock came along. I still remember how weird that was, it was like Trump running for President with everybody thinking “This is really happening?” and nothing being able to stop it. I don’t think Meryl had any real chance against Bullock because of her movie- no way was the Academy going to give that movie an Oscar.

Give me a break. Sandra Bullock’s performance was perfectly good in The Blind Side. I understand that people had different preferences (I think I had her 4th), but she is one of those actresses who made Hollywood a more inviting place for everyone. From her relatable rom-com movies and female-led box-office hits, to her underrated dramatic work in Crash, Infamous or Gravity, she is one of those movie stars who perfectly deserved to win an Oscar in her career. Yes, her Oscar-winning work is a bit generic, but it’s not like it’s the worst win ever and people really gotta see the bigger picture with wins like this. Hollywood waited for the perfect opportunity to reward her and they did, and I just don’t understand the outrage if I think about her importance in the business. Esp. as she was one of the only actresses in the business who’d achieve such strong personal connection to the audience (others have been Jolie or Roberts too). And I don’t necessarily mean just artistically (although I do think she’s had her fair share of successful projects), but there is a reason why we don’t get to see such ‘girl next door/box-office-draw’ type of movie star entrances/career paths anymore. It’s a unique gift to achieve such status in Hollywood – all in all, Bullock gave a lot to the American film industry and she is not some one-hit-wonder like Alicia Vikander. It’s perfectly okay that she has an Oscar.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I need BAFTA to nominate and award Alfre Woodard.

Omg I totally forgot Woodard was in this year. Forget everyone. I really hope the Oscars shock and nominate Woodard. She DESERVES it. She won’t get it because she’s underrated AF but holy shit does she deserve it.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Omg I totally forgot Woodard was in this year. Forget everyone. I really hope the Oscars shock and nominate Woodard. She DESERVES it. She won’t get it because she’s underrated AF but holy shit does she deserve it.

She’s ineligible for Oscar consideration. But she should have won last year.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

The last time Mulligan had this great a shot at an Oscar, Sandra Bullock came along. I still remember how weird that was, it was like Trump running for President with everybody thinking “This is really happening?” and nothing being able to stop it. I don’t think Meryl had any real chance against Bullock because of her movie- no way was the Academy going to give that movie an Oscar.

I want to let your comments go because I didn’t come to GD to talk politics but damn holy hell, almost every time you post, your words scream CENTRIST NAÏVETÉ

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I actually don’t think Day will win (or tie) at Critics Choice. Remember when Rami Malek upset at the Globes but Critics Choice doubled down with rewarding Bale? They also didn’t nominate Taron Egerton. So they don’t fall for showy musician performances as easily as the Globes and, while they’re not necessarily high brow critics, they do have some standards for quality of film.

Malek winning wasn’t an upset and he lost the CC to Bale, who also won the Globe. It was still a two horse race when the CC happened.

And the Egerton upset happened AFTER the CC nominations were announced. If the Globes had happened before the CC nominations, he would definitely have been nominated.

Both cases are unsimilar to Day’s situation.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Sandra Bullock’s performance was perfectly good in The Blind Side. I understand that people had different preferences (I think I had her 4th), but she is one of those actresses who made Hollywood a more inviting place for everyone. From her relatable rom-com movies and female-led box-office hits, to her underrated dramatic work in Crash, Infamous or Gravity, she is one of those movie stars who perfectly deserved to win an Oscar in her career.

Firstly, you know Gravity came after The Blind Side, right?

Secondly, I agree with you that Bullock deserves an Oscar. I also completely disagree with you re: that win standing up lol. In my opinion, it’s the worst acting win in the last 2 decades. Bullock is adequate, and I would get what you were saying if only the film wasn’t an egregious case of white savior filmmaking. Such a film wouldn’t pass muster nowadays—and yeah, Green Book was better! Hidden Figures was better! Even the most white savior films of any given year recently have been better on average than The Blind Side. It’s not really Bullock’s fault. The world changed. But if only they’d waited a little longer, they’d have found an opportunity to reward her and have her truly deserve it!

On another note, I remember that year everyone was like “yeah whatever Gabourey Sidibe is probably like that in real life, big deal”. Well, guess what? We’ve seen her on screen many times since, and no she’s not usually like how she was in Precious. Looking back it’s a pretty classic case of thinking “woah, they really…fucked up.”

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

The Globes gave Andra a huge boost at the very right moment, she’s probably going to end up 2nd or 3rd at the Oscars. But an actual win without SAG and BAFTA nominations is totally unprecedented so I’m not going to predict it. Whoever wins SAG wins the Oscar, á la Halle Berry.

FYC

Best Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)

Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

Give me a break. Sandra Bullock’s performance was perfectly good in The Blind Side. I understand that people had different preferences (I think I had her 4th), but she is one of those actresses who made Hollywood a more inviting place for everyone. From her relatable rom-com movies and female-led box-office hits, to her underrated dramatic work in Crash, Infamous or Gravity, she is one of those movie stars who perfectly deserved to win an Oscar in her career. Yes, her Oscar-winning work is a bit generic, but it’s not like it’s the worst win ever and people really gotta see the bigger picture with wins like this. Hollywood waited for the perfect opportunity to reward her and they did, and I just don’t understand the outrage if I think about her importance in the business. Esp. as she was one of the only actresses in the business who’d achieve such strong personal connection to the audience (others have been Jolie or Roberts too). And I don’t necessarily mean just artistically (although I do think she’s had her fair share of successful projects), but there is a reason why we don’t get to see such ‘girl next door/box-office-draw’ type of movie star entrances/career paths anymore. It’s a unique gift to achieve such status in Hollywood – all in all, Bullock gave a lot to the American film industry and she is not some one-hit-wonder like Alicia Vikander. It’s perfectly okay that she has an Oscar.

I never said Bullock didn’t deserve an Oscar- I like her a lot and think she’s had a great career. I should have clarified above that the trajectory of her win was what was similar to Trump’s run for President(I’d vote for Bullock any day over Trump lol and she’s a great person) in that it was just unbelievable at the time that the Oscars were honoring Bullock for a movie and performance like The Blind Side and everyone kept on saying “Is this really happening?”. Even she was surprised by all the attention.

Profile picture
    Juanald02
    Topics:

While it is possible Day could tie at the critics choice, what hurts her is the fact that she’s been snubbed everywhere else. When Glenn close tied, the critics choice probably thought they would joining the bandwagon of wins for Glenn since by the time the awards were held she had already been nominated at every award show, whereas Day has no other shots of winning elsewhere until the oscars if she’s nominated.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I should have clarified above that the trajectory of her win was what was similar to Trump’s run for President(I’d vote for Bullock any day over Trump lol and she’s a great person)

oh sweetie, i know, i fully understood what you meant the first time, you didn’t need to clarify. lol i’m just…lol

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

BEYONCE just send Andra Day flowers and a card for her historical golden globe win LMAO if she get critics choice i think she can win the Oscar. All this hype wow.And she rises up like 4 real she predicted her own future.

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

BEYONCE just send Andra Day flowers and a card for her historical golden globe win LMAO if she get critics choice i think she can win the Oscar. All this hype wow.And she rises up like 4 real she predicted her own future.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 554 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 35)’ is closed to new replies.