Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 35)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 35)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 554 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Ashton_Reeves
  • Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

There won’t be backlash if viola doesn’t win sag but I don’t see how people wouldn’t be upset about a black women losing if there was not one but two chances for them to give the award to a black women and both won the two biggest awards leading up to the Oscars. Andras win reminded everyone that only one black(biracial) women has won this award. Sure it’s great for black men to win but if black women aren’t getting the same recognition then nothing is progressing. People love Carey so she’ll be fine but the Oscars will definitely receive criticism.

So, they won’t care about Boseman and Kaluuya’s win, will they?

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Day has a lot to overcome. Narrative is not enough when you have a weak film. I mean ask Sylvester Stallone and Glenn Close.

+ like a lot of people pointed out. Chadwick Boseman, Kaluuya and Yu Yu all can win which doesn’t give them the need to also award Andra or Davis if they don’t want to.

Davis is just a hypothetical, In my opinion.Girl’s momentum was killed by Boseman since the moment the movie premiered and Day finished her off at the Globes. People just keep finding excuses for her.

Profile picture
    Diogo Duarte
    Topics:

There won’t be backlash if viola doesn’t win sag but I don’t see how people wouldn’t be upset about a black women losing if there was not one but two chances for them to give the award to a black women and both won the two biggest awards leading up to the Oscars. Andras win reminded everyone that only one black(biracial) women has won this award. Sure it’s great for black men to win but if black women aren’t getting the same recognition then nothing is progressing. People love Carey so she’ll be fine but the Oscars will definitely receive criticism.

Yes. If Andra were a filler nomination as she was before the Golden Globes and Viola was not a strong competitor, ok. But with two black women in #2 and #3 in the race and making speeches in television, raising this racial discussion… Big problem.

Okay, we will have diversity in other categories, but the problem is IN THIS category. More than 90 ceremonies and only 1 black woman won. This controversy has returned. Putting black womens so close to the prize… for lose at the last minute is controversial. Only that

Profile picture
    na digga
    Topics:

So, they won’t care about Boseman and Kaluuya’s win, will they?

I don’t know if any of you saw but there was a viral post on Twitter criticizing the globes for only nominating two WOC(viola and Andra), it had almost 100k likes. People will care about Boseman for obvious reasons but I guarantee people will not care if kaluuya win or loses but they will if a WOC does but like I said this is if Viola wins sag

Viola Davis is the Greatest of our time!!!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

People often chalk up Emily Blunt’s win at SAG down to being because “Regina was snubbed and it was obvious she would have won there if she was nominated” but I don’t think that’s the (only) reason Blunt won. She had her own narrative as an underrated and beloved actor who had been nominated by the precursors so many times but missed at the Oscars and actors felt sorry for her especially because she delivered two strong buzzed performances that year (the one she won SAG for is considered to be one of her career bests by some). If she only won SAG because Regina was snubbed then Margot might as well have won both SAG and the BAFTA. It’s a similar thing with Rachel Weisz at BAFTA. As evidenced by her BIFA win she was the favourite (pun unintended) of the two supporting ladies with the British bloc, was in a film BAFTA loved and was yet to have a BAFTA on her plate in spite of being an Oscar winning British veteran who was married to Daniel Craig and beloved by the British (and especially British indie) film industry. She won partly because Regina was snubbed, not only because Regina was snubbed.

So whilst Andra could win the Oscar even if someone else wins SAG, the only way we’d have “another Emily Blunt this year” imo is if Vanessa Kirby is snubbed on Oscar nominations morning and actors feel bad for her not receiving her first nomination and give her the SAG win.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Diogo Duarte
    Topics:

People often chalk up Emily Blunt’s win at SAG down to being because “Regina was snubbed and it was obvious she would have won there if she was nominated” but I don’t think that’s the (only) reason Blunt won. She had her own narrative as an underrated and beloved actor who had been nominated by the precursors so many times but missed at the Oscars and actors felt sorry for her especially because she delivered two strong buzzed performances that year (the one she won SAG for is considered to be one of her career bests by some). If she only won SAG because Regina was snubbed then Margot might as well have won both SAG and the BAFTA. It’s a similar thing with Rachel Weisz at BAFTA. As evidenced by her BIFA win she was the favourite (pun unintended) of the two supporting ladies with the British bloc, was in a film BAFTA loved and was yet to have a BAFTA on her plate in spite of being an Oscar winning British veteran who was married to Daniel Craig and beloved by the British (and especially British indie) film industry. She won partly because Regina was snubbed, not only because Regina was snubbed. So whilst Andra could win the Oscar even if someone else wins SAG, the only way we’d have “another Emily Blunt this year” imo is if Vanessa Kirby is snubbed on Oscar nominations morning and actors feel bad for her not receiving her first nomination and give her the SAG win.

I agree with that. My theory is that Regina King would win, but Blunt is an actress loved by SAG, who was double nominated thay year and was nominated even for The Girl on the Train. but my point is that we don’t know if the result would be different … like this year, we don’t know if the people who voted for Actress X in the SAG, are voting in her just because Andra isn’t there. This is an atypical situation. I think that since the creation of the SAG there has been an situation like this in Best Actress. If actress X wins GG and loses SAG / Bafta (like Sissy Spacek in 2001), this is a clue that she is not doing so well in the race. But Andra will not lose SAG because she is not on the nominations list. Okay, it’s her fault because she wasn’t nominated, but now she’s getting a different kind of attention than January.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Best Actress is by far the whitest of all acting categories. I don’t think there’ll be a huge controversy if Carey wins, but some people will discuss that, specially if Carey doesn’t win all the remaining precursors. The only category I think nobody would complain if a white person wins is Supporting Actress, given half winners in the last 10 years were black.

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

I was a big fan of frances and love nomadland but shes trash and really needs to be cancelled everyone was talking about mulligans face when Andra won frnaces didn’t clap smile or anything for andra she looked unimpressed and like she had an attitude which is sad cause shes has 2 Oscars and andra only the second black woman ever with this award i hope she does not get the Oscar nom.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Had you said that she will get a backlash for making a stank face at Andra’s win then I might’ve agreed with you.

I haven’t seen negative reaction to Carey’s facial expression when she lost the Globe to Andra anywhere but here, and I just want to note that it was 4:00  in the morning in London where she was, she has two children under 5 so she probably is almost always short on sleep, she likely had been up most of the day dealing with press and getting ready,  and for all we know there may have been a momentarily delayed audio on her end.  She was initially very briefly confused or disappointed, and then quickly recovered and clapped for Andra.  There may be lots of reasons to legitimately criticize Carey Mulligan, and there’s no disputing that she’s led an extremely privileged life, but for momentarily displaying the authentic human emotion of disappointment, she doesn’t deserve to be dragged.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I was a big fan of frances and love nomadland but shes trash and really needs to be cancelled everyone was talking about mulligans face when Andra won frnaces didn’t clap smile or anything for andra she looked unimpressed and like she had an attitude which is sad cause shes has 2 Oscars and andra only the second black woman ever with this award i hope she does not get the Oscar nom.

LOL what?!? She wasn’t THERE!

Profile picture
    Marcel Carneiro
    Topics:

Andra has to break a BIG stat to win. No Actress has ever won an Oscar without getting a SAG nom the same year
    100% of accuracy

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I see a lot of people operating under the assumption that Viola is going to win SAG (or at least is the frontrunner to win it). Why? Because she’s won there a lot? Well if that really mattered then Olivia Colman would have won Supporting Actress at the Globes. The barriers she has in terms of her limited screentime and acclaimed co-star are going to be the same regardless of precursor.

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

It is still early. Someone could have last minute momentum.

Watch out for Kirby!

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Just realised that if Davis & Day are nominated, it’ll be the first time two Black women are nominated since Tyson and Ross in 1972.

Which means Cicely Tyson wasn’t here to see it happen again in her lifetime 🥺

Emmys FYC: Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien”, Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie”, Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live”, Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn”

“Dickinson”, “P-Valley”, “Pose” & “Superstore” in all categories

Profile picture
    leon375
    Topics:

Mark my words. Andra day won’t even be nominated.Lol it’s just a globes thing. Pike has more momentum than her lol …her film is widely seen and is a better-reviewed film that trended and people actually saw. If Pike doesn’t get it, it will be Yeri Han.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 554 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 35)’ is closed to new replies.