Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 35)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 35)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 554 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Ashton_Reeves
  • Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

I haven’t seen negative reaction to Carey’s facial expression when she lost the Globe to Andra anywhere but here, and I just want to note that it was 4:00 in the morning in London where she was, she has two children under 5 so she probably is almost always short on sleep, she likely had been up most of the day dealing with press and getting ready, and for all we know there may have been a momentarily delayed audio on her end. She was initially very briefly confused or disappointed, and then quickly recovered and clapped for Andra. There may be lots of reasons to legitimately criticize Carey Mulligan, and there’s no disputing that she’s led an extremely privileged life, but for momentarily displaying the authentic human emotion of disappointment, she doesn’t deserve to be dragged.

There was definitely delayed audio on all of their ends- go back and watch the video to see.

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

I can’t with the Bohemian RhapsodyUS vs. Billie Holiday comparisons. One was a Golden-Globe winning international smash hit, the other dropped on Hulu the other day without much fanfare.

Not every comparison has to be literal or exact, though. Obviously, Andra’s movie not being an international smash hit or having little fanfare didn’t hurt her chances at the Globes. And if I remember correctly, Rami’s road to gold started at the Globes. He was still in a critically panned movie, and I recall other actors being frontrunners before he won the Globe.

Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

The optics of not honoring a black woman would be bad for the Academy- OscarsSoWhite and then MeToo have already taken a toll on their credibility. We also live in an incredibly polarized political climate where the divide between Americans hasn’t been this strong in years, the Academy is obviously a liberal institution overall. Also black women generally are historically and currently undervalued thanks to both their gender and their skin color and with Harris elected as Vice President, you can hear the drum rolls for the next black Best Actress winner which should have been Davis in 2011. It would be great if Davis wins, she’s worked very hard and should have been in lead for Fences(I think Paramount thought Portman was a lock) and Day will have other chances at the award.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Andra day won’t even be nominated.Lol it’s just a globes thing.

The only Globe Drama winner since 1970 not to translate to Oscar was Kate Winslet (Revolutionary Road) in 08.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

The only Globe Drama winner since 1970 not to translate to Oscar was Kate Winslet (Revolutionary Road) in 08.

Well technically Winslet did translate but for a different movie 😂

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    Diogo Duarte
    Topics:

It’s the only case in history, I guess.

and obviously, since 2001/Halle Berry, every actress who win the Oscars, have win the Globes before that.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

I wonder if Billie would have gotten a stronger run up till now if it had been released a month earlier.

Also I just noticed lead Globe winners Goldberg, Bassett, and Day all were ignored by Bafta, hmm.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

It’s the only case in history, I guess. and obviously, since 2001/Halle Berry, every actress who win the Oscars, have win the Globes before that.

Not really. MacLaine’s infamous three-way ties didn’t translate into her getting nomination at the Oscar. Plus, she’s a Venice winner. Back then, Venice was not as “seen” as it is now, especially when every movie nowadays is released as close as the year’s ending to fit the momentum.

Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

Nobody should be honoring Kamala Harris (or Joe Biden) for anything after they sent drones to Syria, you neoliberal. Nor for their complete failure to deliver the promised $2000 excuse me “$1400” relief for COVID. Or $15 minimum wage. But they sure had no problem approving $285M worth of Raytheon weapon deals to provide for said Syria war crimes^^ (they’ve already committed war crimes in their term !!!!). No student loan debt cancellation or rent forgiveness either. Biden is refusing to do many things by executive order, but he had no problem giving 32 new drilling permits. FDR passed over 3000 executive orders. Biden would never cancel student debt because student debt is one of the leading reasons people join the military. The military targets students in debt, and then uses them to get oil abroad. This is Biden and Harris in a nutshell. Biden and Harris are fighting hard to confirm Neera Tanden, but Harris would not overrule the parliamentarian on min. wage increase. Neera Tanden literally pushed a journalist for asking Hillary Clinton about the Iraq War. Neera Tanden who said Libya should “pay us back” w/ oil revenue, suggesting that we should do this because that war was “successful.”

My point for all of this is the Hillary/Kamala/etc. worship we’re being subjected to is actually seriously destructive. Yes, representation is absolutely critical, but it’s not worth it when the politician in question is morally bankrupt.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Nobody should be honoring Kamala Harris (or Joe Biden) for anything after they sent drones to Syria, you neoliberal. Nor for their complete failure to deliver the promised $2000 excuse me “$1400” relief for COVID. Or $15 minimum wage. But they sure had no problem approving $285M worth of Raytheon weapon deals to provide for said Syria war crimes^^ (they’ve already committed war crimes in their term !!!!). No student loan debt cancellation or rent forgiveness either. Biden is refusing to do many things by executive order, but he had no problem giving 32 new drilling permits. FDR passed over 3000 executive orders. Biden would never cancel student debt because student debt is one of the leading reasons people join the military. The military targets students in debt, and then uses them to get oil abroad. This is Biden and Harris in a nutshell. Biden and Harris are fighting hard to confirm Neera Tanden, but Harris would not overrule the parliamentarian on min. wage increase. Neera Tanden literally pushed a journalist for asking Hillary Clinton about the Iraq War. Neera Tanden who said Libya should “pay us back” w/ oil revenue, suggesting that we should do this because that war was “successful.” My point for all of this is the Hillary/Kamala/etc. worship we’re being subjected to is actually seriously destructive. Yes, representation is absolutely critical, but it’s not worth it when the politician in question is morally bankrupt.

This has gotten way tooooo political. Nobody is honoring war criminal Clinton for her praise for Kamala. We are simply pointing out how praise from such a high political figure would possibly sway neoliberal Academy voters to gravitate towards Day’s performance.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Kord baby, guess it’s your lucky day. Feeling like maybe Day will win after all, the goodwill she is gaining right now is insane. We’ll see.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Weird phenomenon in a weird year; still, Kirby is my number one.

Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

This has gotten way tooooo political. Nobody is honoring war criminal Clinton for her praise for Kamala. We are simply pointing out how praise from such a high political figure would possibly sway neoliberal Academy voters to gravitate towards Day’s performance.

The same user was defending the war criminal all morning lol. So yeah, it seems Joe rly thinks it would be a nice homage.

I don’t see these people having clout to sway any overwhelming number of voters.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Can we please stop talking about politics in the Movie threads? There’s another sub-forum that already exists for that.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Dominique Fishback
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 554 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 35)’ is closed to new replies.