Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 35)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 35)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 554 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Ashton_Reeves
  • Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

The same user was defending the war criminal all morning lol. So yeah, it seems Joe rly thinks it would be a nice homage.

I don’t see these people having clout to sway any overwhelming number of voters.

Agree to disagree about Hillary Clinton but for the record I never said Hillary had sway over the results here nor did I talk about her praise of Day either. As for Harris, I do think that the first black woman serving as Vice President has a TimesUp effect in the back of voters minds when they are thinking about awarding a black actress, either Davis or Day, the Best Actress Oscar for only the second time in Oscar’s history. That’s my opinion and I think it’s a valid one. If you disagree that’s fine but I’m not going to get into a debate with you about politics as we clearly have differences there.

Profile picture
    L@br@dor
    Topics:

It is still early. Someone could have last minute momentum. Watch out for Kirby!

watch out for Zendaya 😆

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

The optics of not honoring a black woman would be bad for the Academy- OscarsSoWhite and then MeToo have already taken a toll on their credibility. We also live in an incredibly polarized political climate where the divide between Americans hasn’t been this strong in years, the Academy is obviously a liberal institution overall. Also black women generally are historically and currently undervalued thanks to both their gender and their skin color and with Harris elected as Vice President, you can hear the drum rolls for the next black Best Actress winner which should have been Davis in 2011. It would be great if Davis wins, she’s worked very hard and should have been in lead for Fences(I think Paramount thought Portman was a lock) and Day will have other chances at the award.

I’m still not getting why that black woman has to be Davis though? This is the only place where I constantly hear that she’s owed a lead Oscar for some reason. And I do think that she’s deserving of one, just not this year. Viola herself made the decision to drop to supporting for Fences.

As for Day, there might not be any more chances to reward her as she’s stated that this may be her only film and roles like Billie come once in a lifetime anyway, especially for black women.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I see a lot of people operating under the assumption that Viola is going to win SAG (or at least is the frontrunner to win it). Why? Because she’s won there a lot? Well if that really mattered then Olivia Colman would have won Supporting Actress at the Globes. The barriers she has in terms of her limited screentime and acclaimed co-star are going to be the same regardless of precursor.

That is not a good comparison at all. The HFPA is a very small group that is very well known for not going for repeat winners all that often. SAG-AFTRA, on the other hand, comprises thousands of members, who range from your famous Hollywood actor to the local weatherman in Connecticut, and is well known for giving people award after award. Her screen time is hardly going to be a problem when she’s absolutely beloved and her performance is, whether people want to believe it or not, also beloved and absolutely in their wheelhouse. These people vote for those they’re most familiar with unless someone is coming off the beginning of a sweep. For me, that makes this race Viola vs. Frances. Carey can win, but in my mind she always needed the boost from the Globes, which she didn’t get.

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

The pained Mulligan stans has reduced the Globes to a Teen choice or MTV movie award just because they failed to reward Mulligan. Y’all should stay pressed. Andra is a survivor

Andra Day should be winning Best Actress

Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

I’m still not getting why that black woman has to be Davis though? This is the only place where I constantly hear that she’s owed a lead Oscar for some reason. And I do think that she’s deserving of one, just not this year. Viola herself made the decision to drop to supporting for Fences.

As for Day, there might not be any more chances to reward her as she’s stated that this may be her only film and roles like Billie come once in a lifetime anyway, especially for black women.

Oh c’mon, do you really believe her saying it is her only film? And things in the entertainment industry are progressing right now even with a lot of work left needed. Davis deserves that leading Oscar, I do think that she has other chances as well though. You have a fair point though which has left me somewhat torn. If Davis can win a second Oscar down the line, honoring Day here is fine.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

I don’t necessarily think there would be backlash should Andra lose to Mulligan. Yes, Andra has buzz now, but we’re 8 weeks away from the Oscars. Her frontrunner status, if she even has one, can and probably will fade once other actresses start to win at SAG and BAFTA. And this year’s Oscars are going to be a good year for diversity. Nominations-wise, we’re looking at 3, possibly 4 Best Picture nominees with majority black casts. We’re looking at 2, maybe 3 women nominated in Best Director. Not to mention all the records Minari is going to set. After the ceremony, the headlines won’t be ‘Andra Day loses to white woman’, they’ll be ‘Chloe Zhao is first Asian woman to win Best Director’ ‘Chadwick Boseman wins posthumous Lead Actor Oscar, Black Panter co-star Daniel Kaluuya wins supporting’ ‘Youn Yuh-jung is first Korean women to win an Acting Oscar’, etc. If there is bad publicity, I think it will be very minor

This is 100% true and should be bookmarked. Everyone will remember that a WOC is currently pulling the biggest Director sweep in history and Chadwick Boseman will DOMINATE the headlines (I feel bad for his haters because god knows they’re gonna hear about this man). Whatever controversy from a white woman winning Best Actress will be drowned by these facts

Remember the amount of good publicity last year as soon as Parasite cleared the competition

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

This year has been so crazy that judging the race by the precursors is really hard- is Day not making it at SAG a product of no screeners and obviously no screenings/opportunities to see it in the theaters on your own? Or is SAG losing credibility now?

Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

This is 100% true and should be bookmarked. Everyone will remember that a WOC is currently pulling the biggest Director sweep in history and Chadwick Boseman will DOMINATE the headlines. Whatever controversy from a white woman winning Best Actress will be drowned by these facts

Remember the amount of good publicity last year as soon as Parasite cleared the competition

I feel like black women getting the short end of the stick again will get talked about in the press and won’t look good. But I’ve been primarily immersed in politics as a political junkie for a long time in the last couple years so that may make me more expectant of a problem coming out of this than what will actually be the case.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

I feel like black women getting the short end of the stick again will get talked about in the press and won’t look good. But I’ve been primarily immersed in politics as a political junkie for a long time in the last couple years so that may make me more expectant of a problem coming out of this than what will actually be the case.

Andra’s win definitely revived the debate (and I’m grateful for this) and the amount of publicity provided by influential black women like Oprah, Halle Berry, Beyoncé, Regina, Viola etc will definitely help. Right now feels like the moment

But at the end of the day I think black women are just.. used to getting the short end of the stick ? I just don’t think the backlash will be too significant if people acknowledge the history made by Chloé and if Chadwick and Daniel win (which means half of the acting categories would be POC)

But someone already mentionned that viral twitter post about female Golden Globes nominees where Viola and Andra were in the middle, looking very different from everyone else. Looks like people are finally noticing the issue

FYC :

Best Picture - Nomadland

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

This moment is loooooooooong overdue. One Black actress in 92 years of the Academy Awards — shocking does not even justify this horrific stat. I think this year is finally the year that stat changes though.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Did the Oscars receive backlash back in 2012?! When Viola was the frontrunner and lost to Meryl?!

The climate was very different back then. BLM and #OscarsSoWhite literally didn’t exist yet, Obama sitting at the WH had many people foolishly thinking that racism was over and the general push for diversity was pretty insignificant compared to today

Now if this happened today.. chile

FYC :

Best Picture - Nomadland

Profile picture
    AmazingAmy
    Topics:

Do we really think that Academy members will think about how their one vote could help the awards look more or less racist? Nobody cares about all that except the media/twitter crowd because they need something to talk about. If the academy members cared, Green Book wouldn’t have won. They’ll vote for who they like, period…and I believe their winners will be totally different from the Globes.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Green Book is a terrible example simply because most white liberals probably thought it was the perfect “anti-racism” movie

They saw a black and white man holding hands and didn’t look any further

FYC :

Best Picture - Nomadland

Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

I personally felt the racial angle back in 2011 even though it was no big controversy because it left a bitter taste in my mouth. As funny as the line was, Streep called it perfectly when she said that she could hear half of America sighing in exasperation at her getting another award. I think it was Davis’s moment and that Streep could have walked away with the Oscar for August Osage County two years later. Both performances were strong but it was Davis’s time to shine frankly.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 554 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 35)’ is closed to new replies.