Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 35)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 35)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 554 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Ashton_Reeves
  • Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

I didn’t hate Green Book- it was an enjoyable feel good film that was never written to be the definitive movie on racism and didn’t need to get bashed the way it was although it was in no way comparable to The Favourite’s script.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I mean Viola deserved in 2011/12 (however you see it), but I can’t be the only one who, in hindsight, is glad her lead victory isn’t for that movie. I’d much rather have her win for sth like Ma Rainey or, if it’s good, The Woman King. Her lead actress Emmy win is already pitch-perfect, so why not make it two 🙂

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

It’s obviously shocking that only one POC has won this award, but I don’t think it should happen this year. I love Viola Davis, but Id much rather her win for an amazing, proper lead performance. Day is just a big no, a decent debut performance but the fact that she won the globe is just crazy.

6th Place WGA 2021
    12th Place VES 2021
    61st Place BAFTA nominations 2021

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

I mean Viola deserved in 2011/12 (however you see it), but I can’t be the only one who, in hindsight, is glad her lead victory isn’t for that movie. I’d much rather have her win for sth like Ma Rainey or, if it’s good, The Woman King. Her lead actress Emmy win is already pitch-perfect, so why not make it two 🙂

I mean, she literally dismissed that movie.

And as a black woman I’m personnally tired of the Leticia Musgrove, Minnie, Aibeleen, Mammy, Patsey narrative

I want more Annalise, Sharon Rivers, Adelaide Wilson, Rose Maxson, Sister Night, Terri Lacroix etc. Not to forget the portrayals of legendary black women of course. When Regina snatches her #2 for Shirley Chisholm >>>>

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

This moment is loooooooooong overdue. One Black actress in 92 years of the Academy Awards — shocking does not even justify this horrific stat. I think this year is finally the year that stat changes though.

The stat becomes one black actress in 93 years. I believe black people don’t really want to be honoured for a not-really-the-best performance for the second time. I hope it incites more opportunity for WOC, but I think the time isn’t now. Yes, the black movement should have an epitome/climax at its ending, but having Chadwick winning seems enough.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

When Regina snatches her #2 for Shirley Chisholm >>>>

Let the church say “Amen!”

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I believe black people don’t really want to be honoured for a not-really-the-best performance for the second time.

And whose the judge here? I absolutely believe Viola gives a brilliant performance, and I’m sure others do too. I have not seen Andra yet, but according to those who have seen the performance, she’s excellent.

This type of generalization is the problem; it’s always, “Well, they should only win if they’re deserving.” Of course! But, again, who’s the judge? That’s insisting that the White nominees, or a White nominee, in the category are more deserving. And again, according to whom? You’re suggesting that people wouldn’t think Andra or Viola would be deserving when there’s no way to even measure that. Plus, even if, White actors with mediocre performances win all the time, so pls.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

And whose the judge here? I absolutely believe Viola gives a brilliant performance, and I’m sure others do too. I have not seen Andra yet, but according to those who have seen the performance, she’s excellent. This type of generalization is the problem; it’s always, “Well, they should only win if they’re deserving.” Of course! But, again, who’s the judge? That’s insisting that the White nominees, or a White nominee, in the category are more deserving. And again, according to whom?

They’re the judges. The first time this happened, it went to a trope, a very derogatory trope that even Angela Basset passed the role. The second time, it shouldn’t go to black entertainers or sassy black ladies trope which kind of reduce their legacy to a very narrow characterisation.

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

The stat becomes one black actress in 93 years. I believe black people don’t really want to be honoured for a not-really-the-best performance for the second time. I hope it incites more opportunity for WOC, but I think the time isn’t now. Yes, the black movement should have an epitome/climax at its ending, but having Chadwick winning seems enough.

Andra Day is the best, but even if she’s not the best in your opinion, why must the very best win when it comes to black women? Emma Stone won for La La Land beating Huppert, Portman and Streep. Jennifer Lawrence wasn’t the best in her category. Bullock, Paltrow, Larson, etc were not the best among the nominees in their respective years. McDormand wasn’t even the best when she won for Three Billboards. Why should the standard be so high when it comes to black women? When do you think the very best performance would come from a black woman? Whoopi Goldberg, Angela Bassett, Viola Davis, Diana Ross, Tyson, Wallis, Negga, Sidibe and the other previous black nominees couldn’t succeed. When is the very best going to show up? Please, let’s give it to Andra and call it a day

Andra Day should be winning Best Actress

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

No. If we focus on the nature of the role only (which is a totally valid argument), Leticia Musgrove was an exhaustive compilation of every single negative black woman stereotype while Ma Rainey is … a real life person ? The movie literally emphasizes the fact that she tries her best to control her own narrative (which forces her to be brash and defensive) but that society just won’t let her. She makes a lot of points about how white execs only care about using her voice to sell records and nothing else. She’s more than a sassy black lady with “grillz” like many claim here. I don’t see anything even remotely problematic with her portrayal.

Why shouldn’t it go to black entertainers anyway ? If anything it should go to more of them. We literally only have Ray Charles as an Oscar winning role

FYC :

Best Picture - Nomadland

Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

No. If we focus on the nature of the role only (which is a totally valid argument), Leticia Musgrove was an exhaustive compilation of every single negative black woman stereotype while Ma Rainey is … a real life person ? The movie literally emphasizes the fact that she tries her best to control her own narrative but that society just won’t let her. She makes a lot of points about how white execs only care about using her voice to sell records and nothing else. She’s more than a sassy black lady with “grillz” like many claim here. I don’t see anything even remotely problematic with her portrayal.

Why shouldn’t it go to black entertainers anyway ? If anything it should go to more of them. We literally only have Ray Charles as an Oscar winning role

Well said👍👍

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I never understood the “She’s just being shouty and angry” takes about Viola in Ma Rainey. There is so much more nuance to the performance and the role that people overlooked, no? I took so much more from it than just “she’s thoroughly shouting” — and that’s not just because I’m a Davis stan. Aware of her power, Ma leverages her talent to set the terms. She doesn’t just spit out orders to be “sassy;” she does it not only because she knows which position she’s in, but also cognizant of the power she wields as a virtuoso. And the fact that people regard her as being merely “angry” — or being angry as something negative — is very telling to me, because it displays a lack of understanding.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

I never understood the “She’s just being shouty and angry” takes about Viola in Ma Rainey. There is so much more nuance to the performance and the role that people overlooked, no? I took so much more from it than just “she’s thoroughly shouting” — and that’s not just because I’m a Davis stan. Aware of her power, Ma leverages her talent to set the terms. She doesn’t just spit out orders to be “sassy;” she does it not only because she knows which position she’s in, but also cognizant of the power she wields as a virtuoso. And the fact that people regard her as being merely “angry” — or being angry as something negative — is very telling to me, because it displays a lack of understanding.

Right ? How was Ma going to survive in a 1920’s racist society as a queer, darkskinned black woman if not for all of this ? 💀

She needed a look, a voice and she needed to be assertive. And the fact that history nearly erased her despite all of this is very telling (I think George C. Wolfe said that there are fewer than 10 pictures of Ma Rainey on the Internet, like)

And don’t get me started on your last sentence. The fact that people try to dismiss her as “angry” or a “brat” is very telling too but ok, whatever

FYC :

Best Picture - Nomadland

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

What crushed me was that final scene. The second she signs the contract, she know that her voice and thus her talent will be exploited; she knows that that album no longer belongs to her. That final look into the camera really says it all.

Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

What crushed me was that final scene. The second she signs the contract, she know that her voice and thus her talent will be exploited; she knows that that album no longer belongs to her. That final look into the camera really says it all.

I was hoping she wouldn’t sign it

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 554 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 35)’ is closed to new replies.