Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 36)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 36)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 512 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
George Ehret
Victor Cruz
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Part 36 is now open.

Profile picture
    Almond
    Topics:

Well despite Glenn and Gaga tying at CC, don’t forget Olivia didn’t go empty handed since she won Best Actress in a Comedy

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Mulligan and Davis probably are the most competitive at SAG. McDormand and Mulligan at BAFTA (though I see a case for Davis after last year)

If the math keeps mathing this way, Mulligan seems to be the most competitive Globe loser

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Poor Mulligan. Works her arse off for a decade in meaty indie roles that challenge her to finally earn her second nomination, only to get beaten by a newcomer riding a bigger political wave.

FYC:

Vitalina Varela, Vitalina Varela (Actress)
    Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

As much as it pains me to say I think it’s over for Carey. But PYW will become a classic and it’s her daring and atypical performance that most people will be remembering in years. Let’s hope some day roles like hers, Pike’s or Huppert’s can win.

Anyway happy for Kaluuya and Youn. I’ll be celebrating with everyone else when it happens.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Poor Mulligan. Works her arse off for a decade in meaty indie roles that challenge her to finally earn her second nomination, only to get beaten by a newcomer riding a bigger political wave.

What a tone-deaf, ridiculous statement.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Well despite Glenn and Gaga tying at CC, don’t forget Olivia didn’t go empty handed since she won Best Actress in a Comedy

CC played tf outta themselves with that “tie”. 😂

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Still can’t find another explanation why HFPA gave it to Day except for saving their credibility, but it just doesn’t diminish Mulligan’s winning chance for me. Yes, the AMPAS has a very long history for giving the award to an actor in a mediocre film, but the fact that it’s her first major film performance doesn’t help at all. People rave her winning, but not more than that actually.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Care to elaborate or just spout empty rhetoric as usual?

FYC:

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Maybe they gave it to her because they liked the performance! What is so hard to believe about that?! Your fave didn’t win, I get it — neither did mine — but it is what it is now. She checks all the boxes at the Globes, so I don’t get this reaction.

Profile picture
    na digga
    Topics:

“Poor Mulligan”??? 😐….. stop doing this pls, you’re bringing unnecessary hatred to mulligan. I promise you if Andra or Viola end up winning it won’t be just because of a “political wave”. Carey didn’t even lose Sag yet so why are you crying anyway?

FYC Best Actress 2021: Viola Davis!!!

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

“Poor Mulligan”??? 😐….. stop doing this pls, you’re bringing unnecessary hatred to mulligan

What?

FYC:

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Tone-deaf statement and a sad-but-truthful statement are so different, Luca. I know that you’re rooting so hard for these incredible (black) actors to win, but it doesn’t mean that they don’t ride on political wave. Watchmen also rides on that wave. It doesn’t mean that it’s not good, but it’s certainly helped by that. It’s probably similar to this whole narrative and really hurts me actually that she’s refined her acting after her breakout and gets so close to that top, yet is beaten by newcomer who perhaps is better than her, but still.. it’s a newcomer and not Nyong’o’s type of newcomer (in which she has worked in the industry before and Yale-graduated).

I wonder how impactful this year Oscar to the cultural and social change, especially considering three of four categories have a strong contender from black actors. It’s ironic that the only that doesn’t have is the category that’s been associated with black actors for decades.

Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

Still can’t find another explanation why HFPA gave it to Day except for saving their credibility, but it just doesn’t diminish Mulligan’s winning chance for me. Yes, the AMPAS has a very long history for giving the award to an actor in a mediocre film, but the fact that it’s her first major film performance doesn’t help at all. People rave her winning, but not more than that actually.

I just got finished with US vs BH and Andra Day deserved that award and I didn’t find the film a problem except it made me sad what BH went through. 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍😃😃😃😃😃

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

What a mess… I can’t believe we’ll have to deal with this shit for another month and half.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 36)’ is closed to new replies.