Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 37)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 37)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 535 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor Cruz
Philip
  • Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

As someone that is Black, I truly understand how those who aren’t included feel. (Asian, Middle Eastern, Hispanic etc..)

We do have to remember, I am not saying others are afraid to speak up, but when Blacks speak up, we are loud.
    Also, many times, when Blacks are calling for diversity, we are alone. Many non-Black people of Color say that we’re complaining, crying, and begging. But then, when changes are being made, people say “why is everything Black and White?” Hollywood became so dependent on the Chinese Box-Office numbers but yet, their films do not include many people of East Asian descent.

Join us in fighting for diversity. If we are “loud”, than everyone needs to be “loud” with us.

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

Something that many people do not know is Black people have always supported Asian talents. Back in the late 60s/early 70s, the Asian martial-art films were not being played in major movie theaters. They would release those films in Black neighborhoods that ran “low budget” movie theaters (Harlem, Detroit, Chicago etc). Blacks would lineup at the “low budget” movie theaters and those martial art films would go on to gross just as much and sometimes more than the “major Blockbuster” films.

Afterwards, Blaxploitation films would go on to add martial-arts in their films, adapting to the films they had a major connection with.

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Montenegro is not hispanic.

She’s not hispanic, she’s Latina

Profile picture
    Jazzy
    Topics:

So I’ve watched the first 50 minutes of The United States vs Billie Holiday and I can honestly say that this movie is absolutely horrendous!!!!! The editing is all over the place!!! And honestly in these 50 minutes, Andra hasn’t really done anything particularly noteworthy. Maybe it gets better later on? I don’t know, but I feel tempted to just turn the movie off. Not even Lifetime movies are this bad.

FYC: Vanessa Kirby - Pieces of a Woman

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

Something that many people do not know is Black people have always supported Asian talents. Back in the late 60s/early 70s, the Asian martial-art films were not being played in major movie theaters. They would release those films in Black neighborhoods that ran “low budget” movie theaters (Harlem, Detroit, Chicago etc). Blacks would lineup at the “low budget” movie theaters and those martial art films would go on to gross just as much and sometimes more than the “major Blockbuster” films. Afterwards, Blaxploitation films would go on to add martial-arts in their films, adapting to the films they had a major connection with.

TEA SPILLED

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

viola is winning sag and bafta, u heard it here first. bookmark me

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

So I was looking at the movies that got Actress and Supporting Actress noms at SAG. They all got at least one of these nominations at the Oscars, and only two (Little Voice in 1998 and Thirteen in 2003) missed the leading category.

So you guys who are not predicting Glenn to be nominated should reconsider that. And that also makes me think Adams is the 6th place, not Pike, Flannigan or Han Ye-ri like some of you are saying.

However, Kevin Kline and Hayden Christensen were both SAG-nominated for Life as a House and neither got in at the Oscars. Same with Leonardo DiCaprio and Armie Hammer in J. Edgar and Forest Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey in The Butler. Christensen and DiCaprio also received Globe noms for those performances.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

However, Kevin Kline and Hayden Christensen were both SAG-nominated for Life as a House and neither got in at the Oscars. Same with Leonardo DiCaprio and Armie Hammer in J. Edgar and Forest Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey in The Butler. Christensen and DiCaprio also received Globe noms for those performances.

I think he was talking about Actresses.

But yeah I don’t think the stat means THAT much.

Profile picture
    leon375
    Topics:

I’ll take Yeri Han’s performance over Vanessa Kirby any day. It’s sad that Yeri Han was overlooked this season over more ‘established’ white actresses. Yeri Han deserves Kirby’s spot. And Pike deserves Day’s spot hands down. Marla was astonishing and I’m in awe still of her delightful performance. Pike is such an amazing talent too.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Hispanics are not 20% of the population unless you are speculating that percentage with illegals

By race:
    76.3% White
    13.4% Black
    5.9% Asian
    2.8% Other/Multiracial
    1.3% Native American
    0.2% Pacific Islander
    By ethnicity:
    81.5% Non-Hispanic or Latino
    18.5% Hispanic or Latino

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I’ll take Yeri Han’s performance over Vanessa Kirby any day. It’s sad that Yeri Han was overlooked this season over more ‘established’ white actresses. Yeri Han deserves Kirby’s spot. And Pike deserves Day’s spot hands down.

Contradiction much?

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I’ll take Yeri Han’s performance over Vanessa Kirby any day. It’s sad that Yeri Han was overlooked this season over more ‘established’ white actresses.

No.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So there will definitely be a stat broken in this category this year regardless of who wins.

If Mulligan or Davis win they will be the first person to have won without a Golden Globe win since Halle Berry.

If Day wins she will be the first person to have won in this category without a SAG or BAFTA nomination ever. She also will be either the first person to have won on their first nomination in this category without her film getting nominated for anything else since Charlize Theron or the first person to have won this category on their first nom without her film being nominated in Picture since Marion Cotillard.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Just popping in to say that in light of Frances McDormand losing at AACTA, which loved the cast of Nomadland enough to nominate both David Stathairn and Swankie, I no longer consider her competitive this year for a third acting Oscar.  This is solidly between Andra Day and Carey Mulligan, with Viola Davis ahead of McDormand too, given her path to a SAG victory.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Just popping in to say that in light of Frances McDormand losing at AACTA, which loved the cast of Nomadland enough to nominate both David Stathairn and Swankie, I no longer consider her competitive this year for a third acting Oscar. This is solidly between Andra Day and Carey Mulligan, with Viola Davis ahead of McDormand too, given her path to a SAG victory.

Hun, McDormand is ahead of Davis.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 535 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 37)’ is closed to new replies.