Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 37)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 37)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 535 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor Cruz
Philip
  • Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Carey wasn’t all that masterful for some of y’all to say you feel bad for her because two other WOC (who were phenomenal in their movies) may steal “her” Oscar. Her performance was good but let’s not get carried away. Lol.

So it’s all subjective, basically?

In other news: Why are people having meltdowns and caps diarrhea this early on a Sunday? Lol

Profile picture
    Margot
    Topics:

So it’s all subjective, basically? In other news: Why are people having meltdowns and caps diarrhea this early on a Sunday? Lol

It can be subjective but the rants about her performance and how she may not win are becoming silly.

What y’all got going on over here?

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

It can be subjective but the rants about her performance and how she may not win are becoming silly.

She’s a contender. Pay no attention to people who are obsessed with her in an unhealthy way. Enjoy her win(s) and have a good time.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Carey Mulligan has Kord creating 100 accounts to hate on her.

The power of a frontrunner.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

You know what, Critic’s Choice doesn’t really care about Critic favorites, they only care about who might win the Oscar. So I’m going to go against the grain and predict a Viola/Andra tie tonight. The Academy will reward a Black actress this year and they know it.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-Jung
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

The way we’re coming to win today.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

No that it matters but when it comes to the win is it possible that Frances might even finish last? It’s one of my favourite performances of the year but I mean even Vanessa Kirby and Yeri Han (neither of whom are winning) have more of a narrative for a win than she does.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Gaga was awful performance wise, her character just shouted and emoted with no backstory, no real purpose other than to support Bradley’s amazing performance.

Bradley literally made the film all around his character instead of the “star” in the film title so I guessed it’s not Gaga’s problem. Her scenes are less (Jack’s are more) than I expected. She needs acting training to be better and I’d love to see her being a versatile queen in the future!

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Carey Mulligan has Kord creating 100 accounts to hate on her. The power of a frontrunner.

It must be sad not having a job or friends or an understanding of a sense of life outside this forum. Wolfali even pointed out to a full post of his that was basically copied and pasted. The mess is unmatched.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Carey wasn’t all that masterful for some of y’all to say you feel bad for her because two other WOC (who were phenomenal in their movies) may steal “her” Oscar. Her performance was good but let’s not get carried away. Lol.

This! Mulligan was fine. But her performance & film were not undeniable enough to justify a clean sweep. Day & Davis were much better. Hell, even McDormand’s portrayal is superior.

I think a lot of PYW stans love the idea of loving this movie’s faux post Me-Too premise and the fact that its led by a young White actress they feel has been overlooked in the past.

Miss Juneteenth & The Forty Year Old Version had very feminist ideals concerning WOC. Yet you didn’t see any obsessive push for these projects or their central leads on Film Twitter or GD. I wonder why 🤔

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This! Mulligan was fine. But her performance & film were not undeniable enough to justify a clean sweep. Day & Davis were much better. Hell, even McDormand’s portrayal is superior. I think a lot of PYW stans love the idea of loving this movie’s faux post Me-Too premise and the fact that its led by a young White actress they feel has been overlooked in the past. Miss Juneteenth & The Forty Year Old Version had very feminist ideals concerning WOC. Yet you didn’t see any obsessive push for these projects or their central leads on Film Twitter or GD. I wonder why 🤔

Are people allowed to have opinions different to yourself? It’s fine if you don’t like a film or performance but trashing people for liking a film and accusing them of being racist is a bit much. It’s not like those of us on here who are fans of Promising Young Woman and Fennell/Mulligan’s work aren’t singing the praises of I May Destroy You and Coel, Miss Juneteenth and Beharie/Peoples and The 40 Year Old Version and Blank.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Are people allowed to have opinions different to yourself?

Obviously. Maybe you should ask yourself the same question. Since you seem to be triggered by anyone who has any criticism for PYW or Mulligan’s performance. 🤷🏾‍♂️

👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

This! Mulligan was fine. But her performance & film were not undeniable enough to justify a clean sweep. Day & Davis were much better. Hell, even McDormand’s portrayal is superior. I think a lot of PYW stans love the idea of loving this movie’s faux post Me-Too premise and the fact that its led by a young White actress they feel has been overlooked in the past. Miss Juneteenth & The Forty Year Old Version had very feminist ideals concerning WOC. Yet you didn’t see any obsessive push for these projects or their central leads on Film Twitter or GD. I wonder why 🤔

Twitter is a cesspool. The notion of people with so much misinformation battling just to be who’s more wrong is laughable.
    Now, The Forty Year Old Version deserves Best Screenplay nomination. I saw it a few weeks ago and up to now only Gotham’s did it justice. Fresh, funny, like it struck a chord. The real questions are: Did HFPA even watch it? Is Netflix doing anything for the film? They misplaced so much effort on other movies that completely flopped based on more “bankable and popular names” when they have this gem. Which AMPAS members are aware the movie exists?

As well, Gothams have been the only one to give Beharie a “televised” win. Many people here have placed her amongst her favorites. So no, Radha and Nicole are very well liked here.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

As well, Gothams have been the only one to give Beharie a “televised” win. Many people here have placed her amongst her favorites. So no, Radha and Nicole are very well liked here.

I mean I think I’m the only person who has voted for Miss Juneteenth in Original Screenplay at the Gold Derby Film Awards lol. So I don’t get this “people on Gold Derby don’t care for Miss Juneteenth and The 40 Year Old Version because they are from WOC creatives”.

There is an issue with how distributors and film studios aren’t pushing forward stories from POC creatives just because they aren’t big enough names (you people have the power to change that and help people of colour break into the industry so why don’t you?). And that really needs to be sorted out because it’s really ridiculous how black creatives like Michaela Coel and Radha Blank are being overlooked for masterpieces hat deconstruct feministic ideals and structural racism and white privilege.

However the idea Monsoon presented that it’s the fault of users on GD (who like yourself, myself, CateNicole and many others have pushed Blank and Beharie/Godfrey Peoples on here many times) seems a bit like obvious name calling and race baiting to me.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

So no, Radha and Nicole are very well liked here.

Incorrect. There is NOT an incessant fan base defending or supporting these films or leads the way Mulligan & PYW have been afforded this entire season.

Yet Miss Juneteenth & The Forty Year Old Version are similarly both Female driven & directed Indies that deal with feminist ideologies. However, the stan community (and the industry to a certain degree) aren’t pushing as fervently for these movies as they are for the other.

👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 535 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 37)’ is closed to new replies.