Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 37)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 37)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 535 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor Cruz
Philip
  • Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

I’m surprised. Mulligan needs SAG or BAFTA(preferably both) for her to win. Day’s best hope is if they split. If McDormand or Davis doesn’t win SAG, I think it’s over for them. And I think people acting like Davis is an automatic favorite at SAG are being misguided- I don’t see her as a lock there.

I don’t see how you’re misguided. While she’s not a lock, she’s a favorite there. She’s won more than she’s lost. Where’s the confusion in that? IF she loses this time, then it was just another actresses time.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Post Critics Choice Predictions

1. Carey Mulligan
    2. Andra Day

3. Frances McDormand

4. Viola Davis
    5. Vanessa Kirby

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

I rewatched a video from yesterday and I’m done with Frances. She’s giving the same shade to every winner. Even her mother could win the award and she would look bored with the result. Diva much? Do you always want the awards for just yourself, Frances?

Profile picture
    Beastialg
    Topics:

I’m sticking to Day but if Mulligan wins SAG (and BAFTA) I’m changing her to the top stop.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I rewatched a video from yesterday and I’m done with Frances. She’s giving the same shade to every winner. Even her mother could win the award and she would look bored with the result. Diva much? Do you always want the awards for just yourself, Frances?

Yeah, she doesn’t even move her face.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Yeah, she doesn’t even move her face.

She is not even home. It’s a miracle she stops the car to give us her annoyed reaction. Shame on you guys for supporting her. What an ego.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

1. Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman
    2. Andra Day, The United States vs Billie Holliday
    3. Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    4. Frances McDormand, Nomadland

5. Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman

6. Rosamund Pike, I Care a Lot
    7. Yeri Han, Minari

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

Viola isn’t winning SAG. Outside of this forum, nobody cares for her performance. Carey will snatch both SAG and BAFTA, and then Oscar.

I admire your comfort level in speaking about the general consensus regarding people outside of this forum not caring about Viola’s performance. If that were the case, you wouldn’t hear continual praise from her peers about the performance, let alone her getting major nominations for the role. You want someone else to win, fine, but you cant anymore speak for the general public than I can about people outside of this forum not caring about Carey’s performance, or any other actress in this race. Nice one, though.

Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

I don’t see how you’re misguided. While she’s not a lock, she’s a favorite there. She’s won more than she’s lost. Where’s the confusion in that? IF she loses this time, then it was just another actresses time.

Because there are other reasons why somebody is favored to win an award other than they’ve won more there than they’ve lost?

Profile picture
    BenitoDelicias
    Topics:

I’m surprised that the Critics Choice actually went with the critic favorite instead of who they thought would win.

I think they just know at this point is Mulligan’s to lose. Or at least she’s their (correct) prediction. They did what they always do.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I think they just know at this point is Mulligan’s to lose. Or at least she’s their (correct) prediction. They did what they always do.

But after the Golden Globes loss she’s anything but a lock. In fact, that loss made her seem unlikely to win, since PYW did so well there in terms of nominations and still won nothing. Now she’s in a much better place with a CC and likely BAFTA win but she still needs to beat SAG’s darling Viola to really stand a chance at an Oscar win.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Dominique Fishback
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

To me it goes like this:

Carey loses BAFTA = Finished
    Viola loses SAG = Finished
    Carey wins SAG = Likely winner
    Viola wins BAFTA = Likely winner
    Vanessa wins SAG, Carey wins BAFTA = Carey vs Andra

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    lhdang2000
    Topics:

I can see the comparison between Halle Berry and Andra Day, but at the same time, I can’t.

Halle Berry, while did not win, was nominated at BAFTA and Golden Globes. She won SAG and National Board of Review going into the Oscars. I would even say that her GG lost was because she already won one for Best Actress in TV film just two years earlier.

Andra Day won Golden Globes, lost the Critics’ Choice, failed to be nominated at SAG or get in top 15 at BAFTA. It may have been because of the late release and she did not garner enough attention, but it’s still alarming that she cannot even reach the shortlist at BAFTA.

Of course, it’s a different time and Andra Day can capitalize on the goodwill and word of mouth on social media, but it’s going to be tough for her to overcome this whole month of invisibility.

Profile picture
    Skyler Lindquist
    Topics:

These nicknames have been pathetic from the start. They have no bite to them– y’all are literally just using nouns and adjectives associated with the characters without actually saying anything. I’m just trying to imagine the creative process: “Vanessa Kirby’s character was pregnant, so I’m gonna call her Pregnant, because that’s comedy.” The second-hand embarrassment is immeasurable.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I don’t like those nicknames unless they’re used by the Prime Minister.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 535 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 37)’ is closed to new replies.