Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 37)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 37)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 535 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor Cruz
Philip
  • Profile picture
    MultipleOscarWinner
    Topics:

And Carey winning would be really deserving (besides Shame, this is the only other performance of hers that I’ve enjoyed).

FYC:

Best Actor:
    Delroy Lindo - Da 5 Bloods

Best Actress:
    Sidney Flanigan - Never Rarely Sometimes Always

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

People underestimate AACTA. Their nominations are iffy, and they have Australian bias (and a race problem…), but their winners are useful information. They typically give out awards fairly early. In split races, they awarded Meryl Streep over Viola Davis, Olivia Colman over Glenn Close, and Mark Rylance. In closer races where frontrunners weren’t established until later, they called Jennifer Lawerence over Jessica Chastain, Emma Stone over Natalie Portman, and Rami Malek over Christian Bale. They were the first ones to award Allison Janney and Sam Rockwell (GoldDerby was predicting Laurie Metcalf and Willem Dafoe at that point). They were also ahead of the curve on Parasite, giving it Best Picture.

I mean they didn’t even nominate Viola and Stallone (Elba too) so I really don’t think they deserve much credit for those wins tbh. Even with Close vs Colman, it’s hard to recognise them when most would agree that it was the Globes (which happened after AACTA) that actually put Close in real contention again by awarding her.

JLaw over Lupita, Dev Patel over Mahershala, the 12YAS men over the Dallas guys coupled with the Keaton, Rooney, Ronan and Driver wins just doesn’t help their case either. That’s without mentioning their Australian hard-on with the random Robbie, Kidman and Blanchett wins.

They snubbed 1917 in picture when Parasite won so it seems in a two horse race, they either get it wrong or get it right simply because they snubbed the alternative. They have the right amount of relevance when making predictions imo.

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

Rosemund Pike reminds me of Glenn Close. Both can play villain like no other. Gone Girl is Pike’s Fatal Attraction.

Had Promising Young Woman competed in Comedy, I think Carey would have easily won, which would have made her a true front runner. Right now, it is still open.

Profile picture
    ShinySeaDiamond
    Topics:

I don’t know how much stock I’d put into Mulligan’s AACTA win, just because PYW is very topical to Australian politics at the moment (i.e. the Attorney General being a potential rapist, senior staffers assaulting young women, the rape culture of posh schools). She was always going to be a strong contender at AACTA but her film being especially thematic to Australian concerns perhaps pushed her over the finish line?

Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

Sure, but it was still competitive. Critics’ Choice went with Black Panther in both and they’re extremely accurate in those categories. Green Book just had that late rise where despite the controversy, it was able to pull out ahead. I find it hard to believe that The Favourite was opposed because of its LGBT feminist themes yet it got 10 nominations and even a win.

The style of it is off-putting to people I think- some think it’s too weird.

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

I’ll be honest Carey Mulligan isn’t in my opinion the best female performance of the year. That title belongs to divine Vanessa Kirby followed by underrated Nicole Beharie. But she’s without a question my favorite performance of the year. And she needs to win. Why? Because roles like this are never getting awarded. Enough with awarding biopic roles or long suffering wives/mothers. We need to be progressive not regressive. Time to award roles like Cassie. From now on I’ll be hardcore supporter of Carey Mulligan. Hoping she pulls it off.

Could not agree more.

Profile picture
    Viridiana
    Topics:

Y’all gotta be honest for once. Drama Globe winner can’t be 4th for likelihood of getting nominated. All of a sudden, the almighty HFPA has been reduced to nothing because they didn’t give it to the predicted winner. Keep dreaming

It can totally happen with a preferential ballot tho, especially when two of them are part of two major BP contenders (besides the fact they are revered previous winners). I doubt Andra is going to get to the magic number before Viola and Frances tbh.

Profile picture
    Villeneuve
    Topics:

I’ll be honest Carey Mulligan isn’t in my opinion the best female performance of the year. That title belongs to divine Vanessa Kirby followed by underrated Nicole Beharie. But she’s without a question my favorite performance of the year. And she needs to win. Why? Because roles like this are never getting awarded. Enough with awarding biopic roles or long suffering wives/mothers. We need to be progressive not regressive. Time to award roles like Cassie. From now on I’ll be hardcore supporter of Carey Mulligan. Hoping she pulls it off.

I agree (even tho she is better than Kirby IMO), the worst part is that if she doesn’t pull it off, her best shot is with a biopic called Maestro🥴🥴🥴

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I have to agree that constantly favoring biopic performances needs to stop. Last year, Lupita Nyong’o was ignored despite giving one of the boldest, what seemed like one of the most challenging performances of the year, but she was held back because the movie and the type of role(s) weren’t in academy’s wheelhouse. But they’re obsessed with biopics and people playing real-life people, so I won’t believe in a change of taste until I see it. And that’s not to say that performers who fit their bill aren’t deserving. Olivia Colman was absolutely deserving and so is, IMO, Viola Davis this year — though neither contended/contends for a biopic.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

I hate these biopic Oscar bait performances so much. Most of the time these movies aren’t even interesting in the least and are only a vehicle to win awards. Judy was the prime example for that.

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    H. H.
    Topics:

I couldn’t agree more. Women need to start winning for type of roles men have no problem taking the gold for. It’s 2021 and we deserve better.

Profile picture
    Cocastique
    Topics:

And btw, if they want to award a performance from a biopic, they should give it to Moss for Shirley.

Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

The Favourite was largely predicted to take Original Screenplay and either Costumes or Production Design or both. It losing all three of those was a surprise.

In a way YES but in another way NO because I knew after Critics Choice that Black Panther would take it and rightfully so. I knew for a fact The Favourite wouldn’t do well at Oscars. Olivia Colman winning Best Actress was a surprise because most of us thought Glenn Close would finally win an Oscar but WELL DESERVED but she ruled that part as Queen Anne.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Moss really did pull the short straw twice this year with two exceptional performances in two movies the academy won’t touch 😑

Profile picture
    manakamana
    Topics:

Moss really did pull the short straw twice this year with two exceptional performances in two movies the academy won’t touch 😑

It’s refreshing that she seems most genuinely interested in daring, challenging roles in independent movies that had no chance of being seen without her in it! But I agree, she deserves more recognition.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 535 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 37)’ is closed to new replies.