Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 38)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 38)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 540 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Philip
George Ehret
wattsgold
  • Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

It is fine if you dislike Mulligan’s performance. It is fine if you dislike Davis’ performance. It is fine if you dislike Day’s performance. It is fine if you dislike McDormand’s performance. It is fine if you dislike Kirby’s performance. Everyone has a different opinion on art and film and literature and theatre. Everything is subjective.

However it is getting to the point of unbearable that certain users (who shall remain nameless) start manipulating their distaste for a performance by making bizarre accusations, gaslighting, putting other users down and dubbing them with derogatory names.

It is fine if you dislike Carey Mulligan’s performance and <i>Promising Young Woman </i>but don’t start claiming people rooting for her performance or the film are “racists”, “fakes”, “dumb” or “white supremacists” just because you dislike this film. As someone who has lost a sibling because of abuse that performance and film affected me in profound ways.

It is fine if you disliked Viola Davis’ performance or Andra Day’s performance. But is is absolutely unacceptable when you start dubbing them with cheap and derogatory names. As a creative who is a person of colour and is rooting for Mulligan, I would jump up and down in joy if either Davis or Day won. It’s about time more than one black actress won Best Actress and it’s about time black women started getting layered fascinating characters to play instead of stereotypical “maids” and “slaves”. Although really this should have already happened last year with Lupita.

It’s fine if you disliked Kirby’s performance but don’t make ridiculous and degrading jokes about “how her awards chances are similar to the status of her baby’s delivery”.

I love your comment!!! But I have to ask: why do you post the symbol </i> in your comments?

Profile picture
    Barbra please
    Topics:

I love your comment!!! But I have to ask: why do you post the symbol </i> in your comments?

it’s in italic.

Profile picture
    aahoto
    Topics:

And the Gold Derby Award for Worst Thread goes to…

Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

it’s in italic.

It doesn’t show up that way though.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

It doesn’t show up that way though.

It happens when a space is accidentally left between the main text and the symbol when typing out.

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Vanessa Kirby is not winning SAG. Get real.

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

And the Gold Derby Award for Worst Thread goes to…

Slowly overtaking the Music section

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Here’s the problem of this thread:

– An actual troll like Victor Cruz or OccultCherry who hates on literally everything to do with Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom makes a degrading comment, possibly also praising something about PYW in the same post

– Someone generalizes this as ALL “stans” of Carey/PYW attacking Andra/Viola/Ma Rainey by saying something like “you guys” or “y’all”

– Someone who isn’t spoken to (if it doesn’t apply to you, why are you responding, that makes you look guilty of what you’re being accused of, hint marty, or anyone who got involved with fighting with monsoon ) gets offended over being called stuff and asks for where they did said thing.

– The other party doesn’t point out what exactly was said, which leads to this endless bickering and eventually name-calling when the called out person is getting fed up.
    People maybe don’t know what is offensive about what they said so maybe point it out and explain it to them so it doesn’t happen again (Yes i know it’s not the job of POC to do that, others who are aware of what part was offensive can chime in as well)

– Rinse and repeat once the situation has calmed down and some troll makes the same post again.

In conclusion: Stop falling for obvious trolls and let people have their own opinions on performances. Acting performance quality is subjective.

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Small addition to my post above to show just how obvious the trolling is lmao

Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

Vanessa Kirby is NOT winning SAG. I just don’t see that happening

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

New day, no more dealing with trash accounts.

I don’t think Vanessa should be underestimated at SAG. Carey, Viola and she have different things going for.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I find it hard to believe that Vanessa can win anywhere at this point. The steam for that movie has dramatically faded away, and any steam left isn’t strong enough to push Vanessa to a win anywhere

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

I find it hard to believe that Vanessa can win anywhere at this point. The steam for that movie has dramatically faded away, and any steam left isn’t strong enough to push Vanessa to a win anywhere

It really goes to show that a spread of wealth is so difficult on these times. Nevertheless, with that talent it’s just logical to think she will be back.

Profile picture
    PeytonKawai
    Topics:

That’s what you would’ve responded to someone if they told you Blunt was winning two years ago. She was 4th in the odds and the rest is history.

Well if Kirby snubbed, she can win like Idris Elba and Blunt did

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Well if Kirby snubbed, she can win like Idris Elba and Blunt did

Well who takes her place if she is snubbed? Zendaya? Rosamund Pike? Yeri Han?

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 540 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 38)’ is closed to new replies.