Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 510 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Bassett
ENGLAND
  • Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

When it comes to performance, everyone will have their own opinion, and I think Whoopi kicked every actresses ass that year.

I second that notion!

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

2 nominations for Kirby ? Wolfali is gonna be happy

This is the funniest comment I’ve seen on this board this season. See me LMFAO

I STAN Lady Gaga and Roddy Ricch

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

I think Whoopi kicked every actresses ass that year.

And did !

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supp Actor - Daniel Kaluuya, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I am rooting for her to get the nom and am a Ma Rainey optimist (I have it down for 10 noms!) but part of me doesn’t want Davis to win because then people will just go on about how “she only won because she wore a fat suit” or “she only won because her performance was baity on paper”.

I just want to say that if Viola wins (unless somehow Ma Rainey is worse than Cats although that would be shocking) IT’S BECAUSE SHE DESERVES. She is one of the best actresses we’ve ever had and frankly she should have won the Oscars she went up against Meryl and Penelope for.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

2 nominations for Kirby ? Wolfali is gonna be happy

Lol she’d deserve but I’m not that big a Kirby fan.

I’m rooting for a lineup of Amy, Carey, Frances, Vanessa and Viola to be honest and I honestly don’t care who wins (although part of me wants Frances and Carey to lose this year so they can decimate their competition next year).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I think the Drama Golden Globe could be a showdown between Viola Davis and Sophia Loren (of course this is based on trailers). Not only has neither won but their performances, based on the trailers, screams Golden Globe winner.

I know this is super early but it would be cool if this season played out like 2008 with Marion Cotillard vs Julie Christie.

Christie (Loren) won the Drama Globe, Critic’s Choice, and SAG.
    Cotillard (Davis) won the Musical Globe, BAFTA, and Oscar

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I just want Viola to win because I want her to win; I couldn’t care less about what others would link her win to.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

I just want Viola to win because I want her to win; I couldn’t care less about what others would link her win to.

Same. The girls always have something to say anyway

FYC :

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

When has a black performer ever deserve the Best Actress Oscar ? I think 4X.

• Diahann Carroll, Claudine
    • Angela Bassett, Whats Love Got to do with it?
    • Halle Berry, Monsters Ball
    • Viola Davis, Ma Rainey.

Edit: Cicely Tyson, Sounder though she was supporting.

you haven’t even seen Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom yet. Anyway, it’ll be a shame if a screen legend like Angela Bassett dies without an Oscar. Big shame on the Academy and black filmmakers if that happens cos they seem to be giving all the baity roles to Viola Davis

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

When has a black performer ever deserve the Best Actress Oscar ? I think 4X.

• Diahann Carroll, Claudine
    • Angela Bassett, Whats Love Got to do with it?
    • Halle Berry, Monsters Ball
    • Viola Davis, Ma Rainey.

Edit: Cicely Tyson, Sounder though she was supporting.

Gabourey Sidibe, PRECIOUS
    For me, she was The Performance of 2009/10’s lineup. But Sandra Bullock… she won!

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

What we’re not gonna do is act like Viola is taking baity roles from anyone when she herself is fighting like hell to get them

But I agree that Angela has been done wrong her whole career and should have had 10x the opportunities she got. She peaked during the wrong era and her career would be similar to her friend Regina King nowadays if she was 15 years younger. Shame

FYC :

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

I hope one prestigious black director writes a baity role for Angela Bassett this decade. She’s just too good to be ignored

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Anyway, it’ll be a shame if a screen legend like Angela Bassett dies without an Oscar.

I loved Holly Hunter’s performance in The Piano but IMO Bassett was UNDENIABLE in What’s Love Got to Do With It.

The fact Bassett doesn’t even have an Emmy either. I hate it here.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What we’re not gonna do is act like Viola is taking baity roles from anyone when she herself is fighting like hell to get them

THIS.

I mean she was excellent on How to Get Away with Murder but the fact someone of her stature wasn’t getting offered the same high brow prestige HBO/Showtime dramas that Kidman/Winslet/Moore were getting is a disgrace. Women of colour have to work twice as hard as the average white woman simply because of they institutional racism within the industry and the hostile environment towards poc creatives and poc narratives (hopefully this is changing now). We should never forget that.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

The point stands, of course, but I am glad Viola chose Murder. People trash the show all the time and say she’s worthy of much more, but let’s face it: that role was and will always be groundbreaking and iconic, and she’s said what an honor it was to play her for six amazing years. Anna Mae Harkness will always be special to me.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 510 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.