Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 510 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Bassett
ENGLAND
  • Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

I need Viola to chase an HBO bag if she ever goes back on TV. Enough with ABC

But I hope she focuses on movies for a while. Prestige dramas, a few roles in blockbusters movies (even if they’re as bad as Suicide Squad idc) and some more comedies (where she’s the actual lead, not Julia Robert’s black friend)

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supp Actor - Daniel Kaluuya, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Well, she’ll be playing Michelle Obama soon, so she’ll def. be returning to TV.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Well, she’ll be playing Michelle Obama soon, so she’ll def. be returning to TV.

I think that’s coming in time for the Emmys this year. It’s set to start shooting next month I believe.

Time for Emmy no.2 (potentially after Oscar no.2!)

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I have to disagree with a few things regarding Viola. She is definitely one of the most talented women working today, but saying she struggles and is fighting is basically what every actress is doing.

Of course you have women like Cate Blanchet and Meryl Streep who pretty much get whatever they want, but most actresses will not experience that. Viola has accomplished something that most actors dream of. She is not only a Triple crown winner, but she recently ranked as one of the top 10 earning actresses by Forbes magazine. That is the ultimate dream.

Regarding HBO, there are multiple shows that reflect Black women in many different lights. Lovecraft Country, Watchmen, I May Destroy You, Insecure, Euphoria, Betty, Westworld, and A Black Lady Sketch Show. These programs just happen to not feature Viola Davis, which is okay.

In terms of television today period, I am seeing more Black talent than ever and that truly exciting. Gives me hope.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Pre-HTGAWM, she was definitively fighting not to be typecast, which she’s talked about numerous times. And that’s a fact.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Pre-HTGAWM, she was definitively fighting not to be typecast, which she’s talked about numerous times. And that’s a fact.

I always find it so ridiculous when people claim she plays Annalise in everything. I saw someone on here once say she played Annalise in Doubt. I don’t understand why. The only explanation is either people haven’t watched these films properly or they have a bizarre idea that strong black female characters are exactly the same.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

You might as well watch the other nominees that year lol. SJWs are the worst Lord.

Lol trust me, Kalinda. I wouldn’t have made the comment if I hadn’t seen all of the nominees performances from that year. I legitimately thought Whoopi gave the better performance. Not to mention, it was her debut performance! Just exceptional!!

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I always find it so ridiculous when people claim she plays Annalise in everything. I saw someone on here once say she played Annalise in Doubt. I don’t understand why. The only explanation is either people haven’t watched these films properly or they have a bizarre idea that strong black female characters are exactly the same.

I will say that this happens to every actor who portrays an iconic role. The Renata Klein–Nora Fanshaw comparisons last year were ridic. But lol, if people think Vee’s role in Doubt is similar to Annalise… Yikes.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I hope one prestigious black director writes a baity role for Angela Bassett this decade. She’s just too good to be ignored

Come on Barry Jenkins!

The Renata Klein–Nora Fanshaw comparisons last year were ridic.

No, they weren’t. Dern in MS was literally playing Renata. The only difference was that she was a lawyer. The big majority of people agree.

The chaotic editing from Moulin Rouge!

I love it, I love it, I love it, but I also have my problems with it.

Nicole Kidman is amazing in Moulin Rouge!

The film won the Golden Globe and the PGA for Best Motion Picture

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Come on Barry Jenkins!

He literally has all the power in his hands to drive her to Oscar glory but he’s too busy directing another live action Lion King to even think about it now. Yikes

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supp Actor - Daniel Kaluuya, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Renata Klein–Nora Fanshaw comparisons last year were ridic.

What? I wasn’t a fan of Dern’s nomination (never mind her win) because she was better in <i>Little Women</i> but she definitely was not playing Renata Klein in Marriage Story.

I mean look at the speed of diction the two characters speak with as a way she’s not playing the same character. Fanshaw was a lawyer who was a bit smooth in the way they talked and was frankly quite guiltless. Dern was also playing her from the perspective of Johansson’s character really. In Big Little Lies Dern plays a multi-faceted successful businesswoman who discovers her husband’s crimes, becomes bankrupt learning a lesson in humility and cares about doing what’s right for her daughter. She also was speaking with quite a fast diction when playing Renata.

I mean Renata is a completely different character. Comparing her performance with her performance in Marriage Story is like saying Alison Janney plays the same character all the time.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

No, they weren’t. Dern in MS was literally playing Renata. The only difference was that she was a lawyer. The big majority of people agree.

No she was not. There are such clear behavioral differences between the two: Nora is composed, collected and manipulative; Renata is unhinged, emotional and unstructured. They’re practically opposites. Also, Nora is confident while Renata isn’t always that.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

He literally has all the power in his hands to drive her to Oscar glory but he’s too busy directing another live action Lion King to even think about it now. Yikes

This does Barry dirty… The man’s also doing what looks to be an incredible series at HBO Amazon about the Underground Railroad.

rubbish

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

Angela Bassett is probably the only woman in Hollywood who I desperately want to receive an Oscar. All she needs is a brilliant director, a brilliant film and a baity role. Come awards season, she would lacerate anyone in her way.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Minari

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 510 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.