Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 40)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 40)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 482 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
SN
  • Profile picture
    Madson Melo
    Topics:

I’d rather see Viola Davis pushing herself and breaking new ground than seeing an IT girl getting shoved down out throats. Enough with the Lawrences, the Larsons, the Stones, the Zendayas. We get it girls, you make money. But you are far from the greats. Let’s honor women that set the example.

The whole Viola debate is clouded by passion and hate. I am not Luca. I am not Victor Cruz. I like her acting, but not being obsessed helps. Take a moment to think that maybe the Academy challenges any actor now more than ever for any to win a second Oscar. I’m 95% sure that they even forgot Renee had one before last year because who wants to remember her in CM?

Maybe they want to see Davis doing something that transcends her previous work genre-wise to lock a win. Who really knows what they want? I’ll keep an eye on The Woman King (might be wrong about the title). Earlier today I wrote Winslet needs to move beyond Oscar bait. Let’s hope the same for Viola (and by this I mean that she gets the opportunity or starts producing/directing). The scrutiny every time she’s in contention, lord. She has a right to have fun. I’d love to see her in a comedy. She’s doing action in epic. What about a horror movie? Her friend did Ma and she is now in the Hall of fame of villains. And Lupita last year… ❤️ Sometimes you guys seem to forget the Oscars are a big casting call. Do this, smile, attend events, deal with stupid PR strategies. These 5 women got a nomination in the worst of all years. Respect the achievement itself.

Who’s the IT girl?

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Who’s the IT girl?

This year there’s none. And I love it. Andra is starting but she takes herself seriously and her image is very positive. Definitely not in the IT girl crowd.
    Carey and Vanessa are young too, but the work they have presented including this year is admirable. Some of her performances are insane. If they performed in a play while I visit London, I’d find the rich older boyfriend just to get that ticket.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

When are they taping SAG again? It is gonna be interesting to see if the result will leak or not. Anyway, I was thinking earlier and thought maybe the fact that Carey Mulligan spoke out against the Variety critics may make the acting branch wants to support her and vote for her. But then again, she got Critics’ Choice after all that happened so I don’t know anymore. I just think that while not many actors or actresses talked about it, the fact that Viola Davis brought it up meant that they do care about it. We just have to wait and see if it’s a positive thing or a negative thing.

This is what I was thinking.

I think there is a sentiment of empathy shared across any profession in this industry when one is criticised unnecessarily for something beyond them by a critic and that has been vindicated by the fact that so many actors have come out in support of her.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Andra Day is such a vibe this season. She gave us a very tough time. She was locked at one point, but got cancelled later. Survivor

Yes! I’m glad I was one of her earlier cheerleaders.

Profile picture
    Yiploo
    Topics:

In the case of C.Waltz’s second win, that category including Waltz were all previous winners in 2013, so it was inevitable to have someone get a second or even a third win. I imagine he just barely edged out Philip Seymour Hoffman and Tommy Lee Jones due to various reasons. And Ali swept the second time around, also riding the wave of that (undeserved) Best Picture win, so that was a no brainer.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Two-Time Academy Award Winner Viola Davis.

Profile picture
    TheDreamingHead
    Topics:

I can’t believe we got to part 40 when the locked 5 are dead set in stone for quite sometimes

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

I can’t believe we got to part 40 when the locked 5 are dead set in stone for quite sometimes

I honestly think it is fewer than the Gaga-Close wars, but you know we love the mess. And mess this whole forum shall have with us clowns.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Mank is far from masterpiece. I could barely finish it. This is coming from someone who loves older films and Black-White films. So pretentious. It was a great idea but failed execution.

The screenplay is the main problem. It’s so boring, lifeless, and tedious. Apart from that, I still like the production design, cinematography, and casting choices. But Mank is still my least-fav nominee this year.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    BigJay2012
    Topics:

Look at the palpable anger in some of these posts ndndkdk

This historic nom is only making her future case stronger and leveraging her leading lady status. I just know she’s celebrating her achievement while cheerfully watching my baby Chadwick sweeping. It’s the way the girls dragged her when Widows failed and here she is. Darkskin black woman in her 50s doing the damn job baby and breaking barriers for all of us black girls

I love being Black. Viola is an icon.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

The New York Times wrote an article about Davis & Day’s historic nominations. We love to see the media celebrating 2 talented Black women.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/15/movies/viola-davis-andra-day-oscars-nominees.html

It’s heartbreaking how Cicely Tyson never got to see this happened again in her lifetime.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

When does SAG voting period end?

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

When does SAG voting period end?

March 30.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

March 30.

Wow that’s close.

Then I think our winners will be: Minari /Boseman /Mulligan /Youn /Kaluuya.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Then I think our winners will be: Minari /Boseman /Mulligan /Youn /Kaluuya.

They better be.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 482 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 40)’ is closed to new replies.