Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 41)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 41)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 571 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor Cruz
Ashton_Reeves
  • Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Is Another Round worth watching? Saw its available on Hulu.

Oh damn, I didn’t know that. I’ll have to give it a watch before my Hulu subscription expires.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-Jung
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

From the other thread. I forget it was Pike who won the comedy Globe. I still think that helps Bakalova since Pike isn’t a contender anywhere else. Anyway, Andra Day for best actress

You do you. The Pike erasure is shameful. We’ve past the basic notion of sanity with you a long time ago.

Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

Tariq Khan actually wrote a great article about Viola’s chances at SAG!

I read it too and that’s why I still think Viola will win SAG……..

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

Just watched rocks. The way that bukky should be winning the oscar. What a natural raw performance..felt like a documentary.

Shes so winning  BAFTA

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

Queen viola coming back to win sag we love to see it

Profile picture
    Lady Jane Grey
    Topics:

Ma Rainey isn’t winning two lead acting awards without a Picture nomination. That has never happened.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So what happens if Viola Davis wins SAG? How do you think it’ll affect the Best Actress Oscar race?

It opens things up a bit more. I don’t think Viola Davis is win competitive for this Oscar but a win for her SAG would suggest one of two things. Either Andra Day wins the Oscar or SAG was unsure of who would win the Oscar and went with the person they thought was the frontrunner (which they’ve done before).

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Rowan
    Topics:

Ma Rainey isn’t winning two lead acting awards without a Picture nomination. That has never happened.

Things have never happened until they have happened. 91 years of English language movies winning Best Picture until last year. 92 years of no Asian Lead Actor nominees until this year. 40-ish years of no Golden Globe Drama Actress winners snubbed until this year. There are exceptions to every rule.

I don’t know who’s going to win, but “never happened before” should be a factor to be considered alongside all other factors, not a hard line rule.

Profile picture
    ClairesCrown
    Topics:

Interesting that we could totally end up with:

GG – Day

CC – Mulligan

SAG – Davis

BAFTA – Kirby or McDormand

I think if Kirby does win BAFTA & Davis takes SAG we will have a very limited idea, although Kirby will become frontrunner for me in that situation because of the surge the late BAFTA win will have & Oscar voters have sat through 2 months of being reminded Day was snubbed from both.

FYC EMMYS: THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. OLIVIA COLMAN - D. ACTRESS & HBC - D. SUPP. ACTRESS) & IT’S A SIN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. LYDIA WEST - LIM. ACTRESS & KEELEY HAWES - LIM. SUPP. ACTRESS) & I MAY DESTROY YOU IN ALL CATEGORIES

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Interesting that we could totally end up with: GG – Day CC – Mulligan SAG – Davis BAFTA – Kirby or McDormand I think if Kirby does win BAFTA & Davis takes SAG we will have a very limited idea, although Kirby will become frontrunner for me in that situation because of the surge the late BAFTA win will have & Oscar voters have sat through 2 months of being reminded Day was snubbed from both.

Bukky Bakray will win BAFTA. Carey would win if she had been picked by the jury considering how well her movie did in the non juried categories.

Mulligan will supposedly have the support from the British branch. Even if she loses SAG, she still could win.

Profile picture
    ClairesCrown
    Topics:

Bukky Bakray will win BAFTA. Carey would win if she had been picked by the jury considering how well her movie did in the non juried categories. Mulligan will supposedly have the support from the British branch. Even if she loses SAG, she still could win.

Very true, is a potential SAG loss a big enough hurdle for Mulligan to stop her from winning when the other nominees are so weak?

FYC EMMYS: THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. OLIVIA COLMAN - D. ACTRESS & HBC - D. SUPP. ACTRESS) & IT’S A SIN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. LYDIA WEST - LIM. ACTRESS & KEELEY HAWES - LIM. SUPP. ACTRESS) & I MAY DESTROY YOU IN ALL CATEGORIES

Profile picture
    lhdang2000
    Topics:

Very true, is a potential SAG loss a big enough hurdle for Mulligan to stop her from winning when the other nominees are so weak?

I would say Mulligan is not winning if she loses SAG. Cassandra is one of those roles that require a lot of passion and love because the traditional voters would not default to it like Billie Holiday, Fran, Ma Rainey and Martha.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

With her type of film, I think Mulligan needed the Globe to really take a hold of this race. A SAG win may not be enough, especially with no chance at BAFTA to cement it.

I do think Viola may take SAG though.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Things have never happened until they have happened. 91 years of English language movies winning Best Picture until last year. 92 years of no Asian Lead Actor nominees until this year. 40-ish years of no Golden Globe Drama Actress winners snubbed until this year. There are exceptions to every rule.

I don’t know who’s going to win, but “never happened before” should be a factor to be considered alongside all other factors, not a hard line rule.

That’s not how things work. You could use this logic to predict anything you want, even something that doesn’t make sense. But stats have something to say and this case is that Ma Rainey missing Picture and Screenplay is a sign it doesn’t have much passion outside of Chadwick’s performance.

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

Well we’ve posted gifs of the other 4 so why not post the gif of the other nominee here lol.

This gif does some things for me that it probably shouldn’t. 🤭😩😂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 571 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 41)’ is closed to new replies.