Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 41)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 41)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 571 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor Cruz
Ashton_Reeves
  • Profile picture
    Marcel Carneiro
    Topics:

Mulligan definitely lucked out, just like PYW. The film was set for an April release so it was definitely not pushed as an award contender from the get go and she would flopped in a normal year.

If it only due to release date, I agree.

Due to performance, certainly NO. She deserve that nomination

Profile picture
    Matheus Vaz
    Topics:

I just wanna see Carey Mulligan winning sag.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Wouldn’t they have just picked Viola then.

Not really, she was 100x better than Viola. That’s why we’re all saying she ended Viola chances by beating her at the Golden Globes since none of the white girls had a chance after the article came out saying they were racists.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Huns, Didn’t Black Panther, Get Out, Mad Max, and that Hotel Wes Anderson film came out before May and all Got nominated?

Promising Young Woman would’ve been a big hit with awards either way. It wasn’t about release date.

Profile picture
    Chaplin
    Topics:

It is impossible to know who would or would not be nominated without the pandemic happening. All five actresses could have been nominated or all five could be not nominated, we just don’t know. All five deserve their nominations and I do not see the use of speculating alternate timelines when we should just focus on who has been nominated now.

Profile picture
    Barbra please
    Topics:

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

I’ve rewatching PYW tonight. To someone who have watched it, Im really curious about one thing in the ending. After Ryan got that scheduled message from Cassandra, and then some crazy shit happens, do you think Cass also done posted and sended the video to everywhere and everyone?

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Huns, Didn’t Black Panther, Get Out, Mad Max, and that Hotel Wes Anderson film came out before May and all Got nominated?

Promising Young Woman would’ve been a big hit with awards either way. It wasn’t about release date.

Promising Young Woman wouldn’t have been a box office monster like Black Panther and Get Out lol. Not even Downton Abbey (Focus highest grossing film, based on a popular TV series) made more than Get Out. PYW is not the cultural phenomenon that was Mad Max and it’s not a baity film from a previously nominated writter like Budapest Hotel.

Not to say PYW didn’t deserve its nomination this year, but it got lucky because of the pandemic. Focus/Universal would’ve forgotten it if it was released in April. They would’ve focused in other films that got delayed.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

People keep saying that <i>Promising Young Woman </i>would have had no chance in a normal year but what people keep forgetting was that the buzz for this film before the shutdown was HUGE post Sundance. There were articles posted left right and centre about how it could happen at the Oscars in Actress and Screenplay. If it had a big box office like Get Out did it isn’t implausible for it to have had the same success (or a similar amount of ) success as it did this year.

I mean the critics groups voted for it this year before it came out and they hadn’t seen it since January/February lol.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

I’ll laugh so hard if after all this mess (and emotional unbalance from some who are on the verge of tears) Vanessa Kirby wins the Oscar. Basically 37/41 threads of useless back and forth and pitting women against each other… once again.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Black Panther and Get Out were cultural phenomenon, Mad Max and Budapest were coming for techs anyways, the first was a gigantic box office smash and the latter very artsy pushed by one of the biggest campaigner in the game namely Fox Searchlight.

PYW definitely lucked out as many other films like Sound of Metal etc … did.

Hun what about Midnight in Paris which came out in May. What’s the explanation for that happening. Lmao.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I really don’t believe PYW would’ve been a massive box office phenomenon like Get Out. Get Out was still a horror film from Blumhouse. This is not to say PYW would’ve flopped at box office, but I don’t think it would’ve made 40x its production budget like Get Out did.

And I don’t remember any huge buzz from Sundance. It came out with decent but not stellar reviews from critics. The fact its studio scheduled it to April was already a sign they didn’t care about it before it was delayed to December. Compare it to The Father, which always meant to be an awards season release.

Maybe it would’ve scored a sole Original Screenplay nod like Ex Machina but that’s it. It wouldn’t have been a BP nominee. Sound of Metal and Judas probably wouldn’t have happened either.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Hun what about Midnight in Paris which came out in May. What’s the explanation for that happening. Lmao.

It was a W**dy A***n film, who was a then celebrated and previously winner filmmaker. Also his films used to play in theaters for months and months.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

3x Academy Award winner?

81 on Metacritic?

His best film (according to the general consensus) since Hannah and Her Sisters?

Promising Young Woman didn’t have huge buzz after Sundance, much the opposite. The reviews were average. The buzz only started by october/november.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I mean sure something like Last Night in Soho or even Stillwater might have been a bigger priority than <i>Promising Young Woman </i>but there’s no way of knowing whether Focus would or wouldn’t have campaigned this film.

But anyway this is irrelevant. We’re in a pandemic, this film has gotten 5 Oscar nominations and will likely win at least one with Original Screenplay. This whataboutery is getting tired when it comes to hypothesising all the films that did well’s chances (Judas, SoM, PYW) in a normal year.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 571 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 41)’ is closed to new replies.