Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 41)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 41)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 571 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor Cruz
Ashton_Reeves
  • Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

On top of my head : Vice, Lady Bird, Lion, Carol, The Martian, American Hustle, Nebraska, Captain Phillips, True Grit, 127 Hours and Up in the Air, these are some of the films that went home empty-handed after receiving 5+ nominations.

Just a year ago, The Irishman went home with zero Oscar after they were showered with 10 nominations.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Not saying it’s impossible for Day to win. Theron and Moore won basically all the televised precursors up until the Oscars. It was undeniable. Day has missed BAFTA and SAG. It’s hard to tell how strong her support is, other than enough to get nominated by the acting branch.

Charlize Theron also gave one of the best performances ever so that basically made her a lock for the win.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

On top of my head : Vice, Lady Bird, Lion, Carol, The Martian, American Hustle, Nebraska, Captain Phillips, True Grit, 127 Hours and Up in the Air, these are some of the films that went home empty-handed after receiving 5+ nominations. Just a year ago, The Irishman went home with zero Oscar after they were showered with 10 nominations.

Vice won Make Up and Hairstyling, but yeah, the point still stands.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    Gwen
    Topics:

The point for me is also that who loves PYW, loves Carey Mulligan’s performance as well. She is the movie, she is in every frame, you root for her. The comparison with Joker is inconsistent, I know, but, as much as Joaquin Phoenix “made” that movie and was the face of that success, the same goes for Mulligan.
    Having the Academy embraced the feature in the most important categories (picture, directing, screenplay and editing), I feel that the movie is loved enough and not only it will be seen by everyone but also that they will be inclined to vote for her, because even who isn’t fond of PYW (and doesn’t want it to win anything else) and maybe just likes it, I think will vote for the heart of the story and the character itself.
    I don’t rule Andra out because of the narrative of a black lead actress winning, and because she is really good, but for now (and before SAG) I stick with Mulligan.

2021 Award Season, FYC:

Best Actress: CAREY MULLIGAN for PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN
    Best Actor: DELROY LINDO for DA 5 BLOODS
    Best Supporting Actress: GLENN CLOSE for HILLBILLY ELEGY

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It is YES but if Charlize Theron (Monster) & Julianne Moore (Still Alice) can do it then I believe Andra could……………

Charlize Theron literally transformed into a different person and had an against the type narrative. Julianne Moore had a massive overdue narrative and a baity performance as someone with Alzheimers. Day could win but it would be incomparable to those two.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Mr. Tintin
    Topics:

Chances of winning the Oscar

1. Mulligan

2. Kirby

3. Day

4. McDormand

5. Davis

Movie-lover overall.

Profile picture
    lhdang2000
    Topics:

It is YES but if Charlize Theron (Monster) & Julianne Moore (Still Alice) can do it then I believe Andra could……………

It’s hard to compare Andra Day to Charlize Theron or Julianne Moore. While everybody here has mentioned Moore’s overdue narrative, Charlize Theron at that point already acted in “The Cider House Rules,” which was nominated for seven Oscars and won two. People already knew who Theron was at that point.

This is Day’s debut role, she is the sole nominee for her film and she doesn’t make all the precursors. All the things combine make it difficult for her to win, but I’ll be very impressed if she can pull it off.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

What if Kirby wins SAG and BAFTA…

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Well…

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Margot
    Topics:

Then it’s over for the others…..lol.

What y’all got going on over here?

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

Darlings, this is the ranking right now:

1. Thin Eyebrows

2. Avenger Mulligan

3. Pregnant Kirby

4. NomadDormand

5. Grillz

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

Darlings, this is the ranking right now: 1. Thin Eyebrows 2. Avenger Mulligan 3. Pregnant Kirby 4. NomadDormand 5. Grillz

Darlings, that’s the ranking but watch out… Grillz winning SAG would pretty much turn it upside down.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Mulligan already has several critical wins under her belt like LA, NBR, AACTA and CC. This is good enough to cement her frontrunner status up to this point. And she gets the voting block of the Brits anyway.
    With Promising Young Woman getting Picture, Director and Screenplay nominations, it shows widespread support for the film among academy members. Emerald Fennell’s director nomination is crucial to Mulligan’s chance like Lenny Abrahamson (to Larson) and Todd Philips (to Phoenix) a few years ago.

I’m talking televised wins aka the ones that matter most. And I think it’s a bit premature to say that Mulligan automatically gets “the Brit vote” when Kirby still has a decent chance to take SAG or BAFTA.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 571 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 41)’ is closed to new replies.