Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 42)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 42)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 501 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca Giliberti
Victor Cruz
  • Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

Having stolen someone else’s Actor?

The person said what they said. Meaning, she would be the winner, and holding her 6th.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Sag member friend of mine saying who he voted for.

And then ya tell me it’s deserved no politics involved . Watch Viola win by default 😂😂😂🤣

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

All that BAFTA proves is whether Kirby or McDormand is more likely than the other and it arguably does not even do that, as the dynamics in voting are going to be completely different with the majority of the category changed. So the BAFTA win is basically meaningless to me.

If McDormand wins BAFTA, all that we learn is that Kirby is the biggest filler nominee since Reese Witherspoon in Wild. We already know that McDormand has a better chance at the Oscars than the four BAFTA nominees who are not nominated for the Oscar. So the only thing that we can confirm is that McDormand is ahead of Kirby. And if that is confirmed, it will mean that Kirby went the entire season without winning a single award that was reputable enough for Metacritic’s tally. There will be nothing easier to write off in hindsight than someone beating Kirby because that has been the only outcome all season.

If Kirby wins BAFTA, it will just be the latest instance of a group (like AACTA, the Globes, Critics Choice or the Oscars soon) loving Nomadland while being content with merely nominating McDormand. It is not a showy performance from McDormand anyway, so it makes sense that it would be disproportionately popular with critics. And if it comes down to Day versus Kirby, that makes for a pretty apples-to-apples comparison, as they are the only nominations for their films and have no critical backing. And I will choose Day because she has a baitier performance and a better narrative.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Sag member friend of mine saying who he voted for. And then ya tell me it’s deserved no politics involved . Watch Viola win by default 😂😂😂🤣

Viola Davis this. Viola Davis that. It’s time to get a job.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

And if it comes down to Day versus Kirby, that makes for a pretty apples-to-apples comparison, as they are the only nominations for their films and have no critical backing. And I will choose Day because she has a baitier performance and a better narrative.

Billie Holiday is undoubtedly a baity role, but I’d argue Kirby has the baitiest role of all the nominees, given the opening 24 minute scene.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

Billie Holiday is undoubtedly a baity role, but I’d argue Kirby has the baitiest role of all the nominees, given the opening 24 minute scene.

baity or not it’s one hell of a performance

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

That extended opening scene is what has carried Vanessa Kirby thus far, but she looks like herself and playing a contemporary everywoman. Billie Holiday was a singer and an addict targeted by the government and because she is a real person in a period setting, whoever plays her has to change their appearance somehow. The bait of the role is inherent.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

I don’t think Kirby performance is more baity than Andra AT ALL.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Julia Roberts as Erin Brockovich

Nicole Kidman as Virginia Woolf

Charlize Theron as Aileen Wuornos

Reese Witherspoon as June Carter

Helen Mirren as as Elizabeth II

Marion Cotillard as Édith Piaf

Sandra Bullock as Leigh Anne Tuohy

Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher

Olivia Colman as Queen Anne

Renée Zellweger as Judy Garland

10 wins in 19 years. It makes you wanna scream, doesn’t it?

Profile picture
    Naiad Lyne
    Topics:

baity or not it’s one hell of a performance

Also, why is it bad if the performance is baity? Some people act like it’s a crime against humanity or something.

Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

I still day Day should be winning.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

And if it comes down to Day versus Kirby, that makes for a pretty apples-to-apples comparison, as they are the only nominations for their films and have no critical backing

Vanessa might not be winning critics awards but that ignores the consistent nominations she has received despite her film being a no1curr with them.

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

That extended opening scene is what has carried Vanessa Kirby thus far, but she looks like herself and playing a contemporary everywoman. 

Isn’t the point of her supposed to play someone whose relatable to many women who have had miscarriages or childbirth deaths? And the “looks herself,” was she supposed to put on heavy makeup to look like Margaret Thatcher or someone? She plays what many women go through and that in its essence is baity.

Profile picture
    Luca Giliberti
    Topics:

I think what Riley is getting at is that Oscar voters love transformations. In POAW, Vanessa looks like Vanessa. I don’t think Riley is stating his actual take on the performance.

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

I think what Riley is getting at is that Oscar voters love transformations. In POAW, Vanessa looks like Vanessa. I don’t think Riley is stating his actual take on the performance.

It’s pretty clear he’s comparing it to say that Vanessa isn’t baity other than the opening scene.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 42)’ is closed to new replies.