Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 42)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 42)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 501 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Victor Cruz
  • Profile picture
    BigJay2012
    Topics:

Just checking in to to see the reactions of Queen Viola ONCE AGAIN keeping her foot on the hater’s necks.

Profile picture
    ClairesCrown
    Topics:

The way Viola is yet to receive her first lead Oscar counteracts the best picture snub for Ma Rainey a little for me, she’s been the frontrunner tripped up by an academy darling too. Her role being short and not as large as Chadwick’s doesn’t mean too much to me right now.

FYC EMMYS: THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. OLIVIA COLMAN - D. ACTRESS & HBC - D. SUPP. ACTRESS) & IT’S A SIN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. LYDIA WEST - LIM. ACTRESS & KEELEY HAWES - LIM. SUPP. ACTRESS) & I MAY DESTROY YOU IN ALL CATEGORIES

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

How does Day have a better narrative than Viola? Day was in a trash film that no one saw. She’s also the only nomination from said film. Viola is a beloved leading lady who’s widely considered to be deserving of a lead acting Oscar. That’s always been the driving force behind predicting her: it was clear people wanted her to win a lead Oscar. Day could maybe still win (although I doubt it with her SAG snub) but she doesn’t have a stronger narrative than Viola.

Billie Holiday.

Profile picture
    na digga
    Topics:

Davis is such a lazy and awful win

Davis wore a fat suit and gained almost 50 pounds(that she immediately had to lose after the movie was over for her next performance), sang in her role(one song), gave one of the top performances of the year and had to carry the film herself during the press run. Her winning isn’t awful but nice try.

Grammys FYC:

Normani ft Cardi B - Wild Side (ROTY, Best Music Video, R&B Song/Performance)

Jazmine Sullivan - Heaux Tales(R&B Album)

Profile picture
    ClairesCrown
    Topics:

Also I feel like Viola’s speech just hammered home how incredibly respectable she is, she’s a legend & an industry icon. That being said she will have many opportunities to pick up one or more lead trophies in future, so no rush really

FYC EMMYS: THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. OLIVIA COLMAN - D. ACTRESS & HBC - D. SUPP. ACTRESS) & IT’S A SIN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. LYDIA WEST - LIM. ACTRESS & KEELEY HAWES - LIM. SUPP. ACTRESS) & I MAY DESTROY YOU IN ALL CATEGORIES

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Day’s narrative is being the second Black Actress to win Drama at Globes…Billie Holiday is her debut film…and she’s portraying an undeniable icon. I’m just glad she and Viola are out front.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Day’s narrative is being the second Black Actress to win Drama at Globes…Billie Holiday is her debut film…and she’s portraying an undeniable icon. I’m just glad she and Viola are out front.

That’s a strong narrative but literally nothing about this makes it bigger than Viola’s, not even the character recognition

The acting branch already gave two leading awards to Davis (not even counting those on the TV side) so idk, I guess they might just be trying to send a message here ?

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Viola is respected like few others. People adore her. The GG and CC are not industry, and knew that Davis would get the edge when the industry weighs in. It’s her vs. Day at the Oscars IMO. I am still going with Day because I think they might want to crown the newcomer.

Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

the real question is… will we make it to 50 best actress threads before the oscars?

Profile picture
    DaKardii
    Topics:

Post-SAG, the Best Actress race is still wide open. All of the nominees except Day still have a chance to pull it off. I currently have Davis as the frontrunner, but that could easily change. BAFTA is the next precursor awards ceremony for this category, and it’s critical.

Davis and McDormand will still be in the race after BAFTA regardless of what happens. Mulligan will still be in the race as long as McDormand does not win BAFTA. Kirby is the most vulnerable; she HAS to win BAFTA in order to stay in the race afterward.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Viola is respected like few others. People adore her. The GG and CC are not industry, and knew that Davis would get the edge when the industry weighs in. It’s her vs. Day at the Oscars IMO. I am still going with Day because I think they might want to crown the newcomer.

Now Oscar win or not, we won’t have to hear this bullshit about how she’s dead last and there’s zero passion for her performance. The support was always there, the receipts were clear and the tea was clocked months ago : the actors loved Ma Rainey, period

Cheers bby !

Profile picture
    musicreloaded
    Topics:

I told you guys. The system is going to reward the “black man”. The dead black man made Biden President of the USA.

The highest powers will give the OSCAR to Viola or Andra. You laugh at me and I said wait to Hillary /Obama to start tweeting about Viola, 4 days later Hillary tweeted about Andra.

The highest powers of America will give the OSCAR to Chadwick and Viola Davis.

IMO, Andra Day was better than Viola.I really loved Andra.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

I think I’ll predict Viola for the win. To me, it makes more sense than predicting Andra or Carey

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Now Oscar win or not, we won’t have to hear this bullshit about how she’s dead last and there’s zero passion for her performance. The support was always there, the receipts were clear and the tea was clocked months ago Cheers bby !

Exactly😂 It feels so great.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Would you explain a little bit, please?

It is what I was saying about how “Davis and Day are going to be drawing from the same pool of voters, who do not align with the critics’ affinity for subtler performances and are instead drawn to loud, singing, biopic work.”  McDormand and Mulligan are not showy, but are in Best Picture nominees that might resonate more across branches, like how the Oscars went for critic picks Casey Affleck and Mark Rylance over showboating competitors.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 42)’ is closed to new replies.