Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 44)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 44)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 497 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
Victor Cruz
wolfali
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Darling, Pregnant is snatching some international votes but the most beneficiary ones will be NomadDormand and Avenger and Grillz and Cheap Billie Holiday will suffer as their performances appeal more to local voters.

Exactly Madame Prime Minister. The Grillz and Cheap Billie Holliday will get the local vote.

Mulligan will get the international vote. And the reason why we’re saying that is encause she won that international vote at AACTA against McDormand, Viola and Kirby.

The same way Streep, Colman, Cotillard, Rylance won it.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I don’t think that movie or Day herself have international support. Mulligan and PYW definitely do, Davis herself does but I’m not sure about Ma Rainey’s. I feel like Day is a Globes Gonna Globe situation

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Every winner last year was white lmao

Hun, There was no clear black alternative.

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

I do agree that USVBH and to the same extent Ma Rainey do lack international appeal but the performances themselves are quite universally appealing. I can’t imagine that international voters aren’t at least impressed with Day’s performance, even though it may not appeal to their sensibilities. So this is what might bring her over the edge

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

I don’t think that movie or Day herself have international support. Mulligan and PYW definitely do, Davis herself does but I’m not sure about Ma Rainey’s. I feel like Day is a Globes Gonna Globe situation

Hun, Ma Rainey flopped internationally. No one saw it outside of the U.S. it’s probably why it did so terribly with BAFTA nominations. Those international voters are definitely not feeling the film The same way the local Extras, Djs and weather casters did.

With Fences she benefitted from being the takeaway from the film and she swept that’s why she won.

This time around it’s basically reverse Chadwick is the takeaway and Viola is Denzel. She couldn’t even get BAFTA nom with the POC 7 voter jury.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

I do agree that USVBH and to the same extent Ma Rainey do lack international appeal but the performances themselves are quite universally appealing. I can’t imagine that international voters aren’t at least impressed with Day’s performance, even though it may not appeal to their sensibilities. So this is what might bring her over the edge

I actually think the international voters aren’t even watching USVBillieHolliday.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Well then visibility. Ma Rainey’s doesn’t have a visibility issue. Day is the sole nomination for her film, which is bad news in close races most of the time because it means not everyone has seen the film. No international voting body has paid any attention to USvBH that I know of, at least in the nomination phase. So I don’t know what support Day really has

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Viola only won SAG because they love awarding POC

All the television winners were white…

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    esteban
    Topics:

Andra Day is presenting at the BAFTAs.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

All the television winners were white…

This. And most of SAG Ensemble winner.

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

Andra Day is presenting at the BAFTAs.

Andra Day is a threat as long as she is visible and promoting her film so good for her.

Profile picture
    Justmimusicmon
    Topics:

Andra gives one of my favorite performances in this category this year. But people thinking this will be easy street for her are looking through some huge rose colored glasses. She may be promoting her ass off, but the one thing the Academy has remained consistent with is its very difficult for a newcomer to the acting arena to swoop in and win. Especially against major heavy hitters in Best Actress. Stefani Germanotta couldn’t pull it off a couple of years ago. We really think it’s going to be that easy for Andra??

Oh, and did I forget to mention “A Star Is Born” went into the ceremony with far more nominations?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This. And most of SAG Ensemble winner.

And both the television ensemble winners were all white casts.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Andra Day is a threat as long as she is visible and promoting her film so good for her.

True though there’s campaigning and there’s campaigning. I recently spotted EW Oscars 2021 cover featuring Davis, Zhao and Regina King (????). Why is King on the Oscars 2021 cover instead of Day and/or Fennell? She missed nominations in Picture and Director, while Fennel made it for both and Day made it in Actress. Yet somehow, the actual nominees were snubbed while a non-nominee got in. So I’d say this is quite deliberate Vote For Davis and Vote for Zhao cover on EW part. They know that King is no threat to Zhao (no one is so Fennell could have been on it) but Day is a threat to Davis. They chose their side.

Point being, does Day have a prominent media outlet that campaigns for her? She can do only that much by herself but question is how big a reach meet and greet (including being a presenter) does vs having something like EW invite voters to her cause.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Andra gives one of my favorite performances in this category this year. But people thinking this will be easy street for her are looking through some huge rose colored glasses. She may be promoting her ass off, but the one thing the Academy has remained consistent with is its very difficult for a newcomer to the acting arena to swoop in and win. Especially against major heavy hitters in Best Actress. Stefani Germanotta couldn’t pull it off a couple of years ago. We really think it’s going to be that easy for Andra??

Oh, and did I forget to mention “A Star Is Born” went into the ceremony with far more nominations?

Hun, what Lady Gaga did is NOTHING compared to the brilliance of Andra Day performance.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 497 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 44)’ is closed to new replies.